Hawks land first wrestling commit for 2012 class

fulsaasfan

Topher Carton has committed to the University of Iowa and coach Tom Brands and will wrestle at 125. He will be a senior at Davenport Assumption this coming year. He is a 2 time Illinois state champ and won at 119 in class 2A last year in Iowa.

I have mixed feelings on this one. I had him down a ways on my list of 125/133 prospects behind Gilman, Clark, Peters and probably Devos as well. While I'm happy to get a quality kid I'll be more happy if we get him in addition to Clark and Gilman vs instead of one of them. That said, I'll have to trust Brands on this and he wants to be a hawk so congrats to him. Certainly a nice pickup. One note of interest is he was on the same(Strittmatter coached) team as PSU commit Gulibon this summer for a dual competition.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for some bigger names
WHY LOOK AT WHAT IOWA HAS HAD ALOT OF BIG NAME WRESTLER FROM THE STATE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS AND HAVE DONE NOTHING!! DON'T WANT TO SAY NAMES BUT YOU ALL KNOW WHO THEY ARE, ALSO MINNESOTA ALSO HAS ONE OF IOWA FOUR TIMERS AND CAN'T MAKE THE LINE UP EITHER WOW!!!!

So in state guys like McDonough, Marion, St John, and Gambrall haven't lived up to your expectations???

Give Bart Reiter a chance up there. He was only a freshman last year and they are pretty stacked at those lower weights. From what I've heard he has a good shot at making the lineup this year. Not saying he will be great but give him a chance to prove himself.

What do you have against Iowa high school wrestling Dallas? I'm seeing a trend today.

WHY LOOK AT WHAT IOWA HAS HAD ALOT OF BIG NAME WRESTLER FROM THE STATE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS AND HAVE DONE NOTHING!! DON'T WANT TO SAY NAMES BUT YOU ALL KNOW WHO THEY ARE, ALSO MINNESOTA ALSO HAS ONE OF IOWA FOUR TIMERS AND CAN'T MAKE THE LINE UP EITHER WOW!!!!

Do you struggle with reading?

I said nothing about kids from the state of Iowa.

I said bigger names, kids that are being recruited heavily nationally.

Mike Evans, Josh Dziewa, Bobby Telford, Derek St John

Those are the caliber of recruits I'm referring to. Topher Carton doesn't fit that caliber IMO.

Dude: caps lock....off

...still waiting for the Hawks' first official recruit. Gotta admit I'm nervous, 1 month into the recruiting cycle with no commits. I wonder if Brands is waiting to announce everything at once? Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

I'm with you AF, were almost to August without a commit.

Outside of Clark and Gilman, I have no idea who were going after thats considered a big time recruit.

I really wanted Peters though

Latest posts