Hawks get another QB in the portal from WI

Interesting. His bio from Wisconsin. After Chryst was let go, he entered the portal in October then sounded like he eventually committed to Fordham. Iowa must have plucked him from them in the meantime.

Big, strong signal caller with a powerful down field arm. Might have the strongest arm in the ’21 class but is more then just a big arm, he’s a pure thrower who can change speeds and throws with timing and anticipation. Is accurate to all three levels of the field and boasts a quick, tight release and doesn’t need much of a wind up to get the ball down the field. Has worked hard to re-shape his body in the off-season and dropped about 20 pounds. Can still improve athletically and in his ability to extend plays and get outside the pocket but ins’t a bad athlete at all and does show good pocket presence and feel. The gene pool is strong in his family as well with three older sisters who played at the elite national level in water polo. He’s developing fast and shows the upside to be an upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid-high round NFL draft pick.

Athletic Background​

Deacon Hill is a 6-4, 225-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Santa Barbara, CA.

Hmm. Interesting. Unproven, but that may be ok. Had some good offers and rankings. Smart move to add a QB to the room.

Needed another Qb. Welcome Deacon. Now let’s see a TRUE QB competition. Our portal gains to me outweigh our portal losses and hopefully more to come!! Go hawks!

I assume Budmayr recruited him to Wisky and hence the tie in?... Iowa wasted no time in looking and getting a guy after May left. I like that. We needed a camp arm of some sort for spring ball no matter what. So he and Labas will battle it out for #2 next yr with Lainez learning.

Michigan just had a WR hop in the portal Andrel Anthony... I'm sure Iowa fans will do some dot connecting with him now too. He's a 6'2 195 lb athletic kid. Had at least one big game against MSU I think. I mean if the TesLaa kid is gonna keep dragging his feet we shouldn't wait on him... (I think our odds are low anyway)

Maybe the QB Deacon is going to take Campbell s position?

Otherwise it is a signal of what they really want in a QB.

I assume Budmayr recruited him to Wisky and hence the tie in?... Iowa wasted no time in looking and getting a guy after May left. I like that. We needed a camp arm of some sort for spring ball no matter what. So he and Labas will battle it out for #2 next yr with Lainez learning.

Michigan just had a WR hop in the portal Andrel Anthony... I'm sure Iowa fans will do some dot connecting with him now too. He's a 6'2 195 lb athletic kid. Had at least one big game against MSU I think. I mean if the TesLaa kid is gonna keep dragging his feet we shouldn't wait on him... (I think our odds are low anyway)

....or May found out that Deacon Hill was coming in from the portal and bolted. Goes the other way to. With the timing of it all, this might make even more sense.

Yeah, well, maybe Fordham has had better QB’s than Iowa and needed a backup…

LMAO!!!!! I suppose that’s true. What is it with quarterbacks in football and point guards in basketball at the University of Iowa?

....or May found out that Deacon Hill was coming in from the portal and bolted. Goes the other way to. With the timing of it all, this might make even more sense.
Interesting angle... I doubt that though. May had some obvious reasons for leaving regardless. Adding any qb wouldn't have really changed his odds of playing anytime soon. Between KOK having recruited him and being gone now along with Cade having 2 yrs and Labas ahead of him along with Lainez behind him he just didn't have a path to PT.

If say Labas was leaving though that'd have been interesting for May and if he'd have stayed or not.... But I assume he's staying.... For now anyway...

yeah he's big and likely not mobile, but he can throw a football over them mountains
He doesn't need to be mobile to make throws in spring practice.

Iowa needed another arm that could complete a pass (no knock on our walk-on QBs, just the way things are) for the spring.

Budmyr knows the kid and probably recommended him. Doesn't change the fact that the last 4 QBs recruited out of high school are mobile to mobile+ guys.

Remember there will be shakeout after spring practice and the portal will once again open up.

I don't think my ticker can take another cycle of this stuff. We could hear stories out of the spring game that are glowing and then be worse than this year if 9 guys leave.