Hawks get another QB in the portal from WI

Remember there will be shakeout after spring practice and the portal will once again open up.
Yup and that's where I think Labas could possibly still leave... I would almost expect that between him and this new Hill guy that whomever loses the battle for #2 that they do leave.

Not much is worse then being the #3 guy and knowing your career is ticking away with no path to even seeing the field let alone starting. Remember the #3 guy doesn't even run your teams offense during the season. They are doing scout stuff running the opponents stuff week to week. They don't get any reps in practice with their own teams O. Nothing easy about that role I would think...

I don't think my ticker can take another cycle of this stuff. We could hear stories out of the spring game that are glowing and then be worse than this year if 9 guys leave.
Yeah I don't envy @RobHowe researching and interviewing for recruiting articles anymore. Has to feel futile in some sense.

I mean it's never a sure thing, but now it's going to be more and more common for kids to potentially flip even after commitment.

Yup and that's where I think Labas could possibly still leave... I would almost expect that between him and this new Hill guy that whomever loses the battle for #2 that they do leave.

Not much is worse then being the #3 guy and knowing your career is ticking away with no path to even seeing the field let alone starting. Remember the #3 guy doesn't even run your teams offense during the season. They are doing scout stuff running the opponents stuff week to week. They don't get any reps in practice with their own teams O. Nothing easy about that role I would think...
I agree that Labas could leave after spring.

The flip side to coming out #3 though is that at some point, someone is going to get left out in the musical chairs game. There are so many players, including QBs, in the portal, some aren't going to find much of a landing spot, if any. Maybe our #3 QB will figure it is safer to stay than to move on to another uncertain situation. This is true not only at Iowa but just about any other school as well.

Yeah I don't envy @RobHowe researching and interviewing for recruiting articles anymore. Has to feel futile in some sense.

I mean it's never a sure thing, but now it's going to be more and more common for kids to potentially flip even after commitment.
He seems to be doing what he loves. Can't feel sorry for that.

Anyone could leave, but as has been discussed, every team carries at least 4 QBs. That means 3 QBs generally sitting on the bench. Labas will be the #2 QB at Iowa going into Fall camp. If he does Springball at Iowa and then transfers to another school, he will be at the bottom of the depth chart going into Fall camp. What are the odds he learns the offense and passes everyone else with more experience and wins the starting role? While I have been disappointed in the attrition the last two years at WR, their departures were sensible decisions on their parts. They have/had chances to get meaningful snaps at their new destinations. Could Labas improve his chances of playing time if he left? Sure. Are the odds VERY MUCH against him. Yep.

What if the whole current offensive 2023 roster flipped? Let go full enchilada and play roulette. What a joke.

Anyone could leave, but as has been discussed, every team carries at least 4 QBs. That means 3 QBs generally sitting on the bench. Labas will be the #2 QB at Iowa going into Fall camp. If he does Springball at Iowa and then transfers to another school, he will be at the bottom of the depth chart going into Fall camp. What are the odds he learns the offense and passes everyone else with more experience and wins the starting role? While I have been disappointed in the attrition the last two years at WR, their departures were sensible decisions on their parts. They have/had chances to get meaningful snaps at their new destinations. Could Labas improve his chances of playing time if he left? Sure. Are the odds VERY MUCH against him. Yep.
Like Padilla he could stay and get his degree and then transfer out.

If he does Springball at Iowa and then transfers to another school, he will be at the bottom of the depth chart going into Fall camp.
You're assuming if he left that he'd try to play P5 ball.

He could easily do what Tyler Wiegers, Peyton Mansell, and a whole bunch of other players do. Wiegers stayed FBS at Eastern Michigan and had an 1,800 YD season as a starter, Mansell went to Abilene Christian and had two seasons as starter with over 1,000 YDs.

Jesus dude, not everyone is trying to go start at a major school, some guys just want to go where they can get time and thrive.

You're assuming if he left that he'd try to play P5 ball.

He could easily do what Tyler Wiegers, Peyton Mansell, and a whole bunch of other players do. Wiegers stayed FBS at Eastern Michigan and had an 1,800 YD season as a starter, Mansell went to Abilene Christian and had two seasons as starter with over 1,000 YDs.

Jesus dude, not everyone is trying to go start at a major school, some guys just want to go where they can get time and thrive.

Cody Sokol. Jake Christensen. A lot of these guys are out there.