Hawks first "official" practice.....

TheGreatTobini

Yes, I was there and a few thoughts for you guys

Great Motivational speech by Tom at the start of practice. I am sure it will be on flo later.

Ok now to some observations I made...

Gilman was paired with McDonough and it wasn't pretty. I LOVE Gilman but he needs to put some weight on to hang with Matt. He could get to his legs but just got overpowered and he relaxed a few times and Matt pounced on him.

Clark looked pretty good but cant remember for sure who he was wrestling

Cant remember for sure who Ramos was paired with but it wasn't pretty either. All Ramos and Ramos all day long.

Carton was paired with Gurule and on his feet he dominated but Gurule evened it up on the mat.

Ballweg was paired with Ryan if I remember correctly and Ballweg actually looked pretty good.

Dziewa and Dennis were going hard and Dziewa looked good at times but relaxed a few to many times for me and Dennis made him pay.

First time I have seen Skon go live and WOW!!! Love this kid he is a "goer" and he was relentless on Owens!!! Should get to see him on Flo they spent a lot of time watching him...

Kelly and Grothes were not all that close until Grothes hit one of his throws and cut Kelly's chin. But Kelly dominated most of it.

DSJ vs. Star was fun but I must say Star got the better of him. DSJ is my favorite Hawk and love his chances but Star was just to strong for him yesterday.

Evans/Metcalf was a blast to watch. Honestly spent the most time watching these 2 go at it. Evans actually had a few nice takedowns and rode him VERY hard for a while. Although he needs to cut him and work on his feet a bit more he did look pretty good.

Cant for sure remember who Grant was wrestling but it was all GRANT. GG is going to be tough this year guys. Here's hoping he goes 174 and I think he wins it there guys.

Lofthouse and Backes, that's right Backes!!! Its was hard to tell but this might suprise a few of you Lofthouse looked to be getting the better of Backes. Everytime I looked over Lofthouse was either riding tough or just took him down. Ethan REALLY impressed me yesterday.

Brooks and Fahler were pretty entertaining. Brooks is definately the better wrestler but Fahler kept it close for a while with his funk. Fahler is a pretty good athlete but he is pretty raw.

Lira and Bess were going at it hard and Lira looked REAL good. Had him on his back numerous times and Lira used a different set of moves to get a td and back pts.

Telford made the biggest impression on me. What he did to the "Danimal" just amazed me. He owned him and looked GREAT! I am REALLY Excited about where he is at.

Well that's all I remember. Hopefully I don't get kicked in the head by the coaches for this but there should be a lot of this stuff up on flo soon......

Thanks for the detailed update Tobini! Sure hope GG and EL can score major pts for the team at Nationals this year. Based on your info it sounds like our upper weights might be improved compared to a year ago.
Hard to believe that Telford owned Danimal.....very good sign.

Go Hawks!!

Yes, I was there and a few thoughts for you guys

Great Motivational speech by Tom at the start of practice. I am sure it will be on flo later.

Ok now to some observations I made...

Gilman was paired with McDonough and it wasn't pretty. I LOVE Gilman but he needs to put some weight on to hang with Matt. He could get to his legs but just got overpowered and he relaxed a few times and Matt pounced on him.

To be expected as #1 McD is a stud and #2 I doubt Gilman walks around over 135 while McD would likely be 150. McD is a big strong 125.

Clark looked pretty good but cant remember for sure who he was wrestling

Cant remember for sure who Ramos was paired with but it wasn't pretty either. All Ramos and Ramos all day long.

Carton was paired with Gurule and on his feet he dominated but Gurule evened it up on the mat.

Ballweg was paired with Ryan if I remember correctly and Ballweg actually looked pretty good.

Dziewa and Dennis were going hard and Dziewa looked good at times but relaxed a few to many times for me and Dennis made him pay.

Dennis is tough so this is kind of encouraging.

First time I have seen Skon go live and WOW!!! Love this kid he is a "goer" and he was relentless on Owens!!! Should get to see him on Flo they spent a lot of time watching him...

Good to hear as Owens has been pretty good his first couple years.

Kelly and Grothes were not all that close until Grothes hit one of his throws and cut Kelly's chin. But Kelly dominated most of it.

Not sure what to think here, I sometimes wonder if Grothus is an under the lights performer vs a practice performer. Kelly making the cut will be a big key for him.

DSJ vs. Star was fun but I must say Star got the better of him. DSJ is my favorite Hawk and love his chances but Star was just to strong for him yesterday.

Star has to be a huge beast these days and I'd guess he walks around over 180 so not too surprised he is horsing DSJ whose game is not power. Star is tough to score on as well.

Evans/Metcalf was a blast to watch. Honestly spent the most time watching these 2 go at it. Evans actually had a few nice takedowns and rode him VERY hard for a while. Although he needs to cut him and work on his feet a bit more he did look pretty good.
I can see both these guys wrestling with a grumpy disposition.

Cant for sure remember who Grant was wrestling but it was all GRANT. GG is going to be tough this year guys. Here's hoping he goes 174 and I think he wins it there guys.

I hope your right.

Lofthouse and Backes, that's right Backes!!! Its was hard to tell but this might suprise a few of you Lofthouse looked to be getting the better of Backes. Everytime I looked over Lofthouse was either riding tough or just took him down. Ethan REALLY impressed me yesterday.

Ethan was a bulky kid coming out of HS as he played football as well. I for one think that he will be much more active, quicker and stronger if he goes 184. I think 174 was zapping him.

Brooks and Fahler were pretty entertaining. Brooks is definately the better wrestler but Fahler kept it close for a while with his funk. Fahler is a pretty good athlete but he is pretty raw.

Lira and Bess were going at it hard and Lira looked REAL good. Had him on his back numerous times and Lira used a different set of moves to get a td and back pts.

Telford made the biggest impression on me. What he did to the "Danimal" just amazed me. He owned him and looked GREAT! I am REALLY Excited about where he is at.

I'm sure Dan is not at his peak but this is impressive to hear.

Well that's all I remember. Hopefully I don't get kicked in the head by the coaches for this but there should be a lot of this stuff up on flo soon......

McDonough doesn't weigh anywhere near 150 pounds.

I never said he did, of course he is sucked down so he can make 125 but if he was not cutting at all and eating what he wanted he would be around 150. The point was beside the fact he is damn good he is a bigger guy cutting down to the 125 weight that Gilman is.

Latest posts