Hawks cant handle illinois fans in carver

I was in Australia a few weeks ago. The exchange rate was favorable to US citizens. 1 Australian dollar was equivalent to 70 cents US. I used the credit card whenever possible. If I bought something over there for 100 dollars my US credit card would show a charge of about 70 dollars US. It was nice that the bill was the final total price with tax included and the help always had a hand held credit card reader on them. Your credit card was always in your own hands and never out of sight! You usually don't tip customer service people because their payscale is fairly high. The customer service is sometimes lacking because they don't have to work and impress for their tip.

I can't believe we are giving this issue this kind of run, but I do like that Fry is hijacking the thread to discuss customs and vacations. Good work.

Small point for those screaming fraud. To be clear, the boys and girls club is not the victim. These guys tried to get cheaper tix out of Iowa's athletic department. So, Iowa is the potential victim here by not getting full price for those tickets that they care so much about that they are now giving them away to the boys and girls club. As has been discussed at nauseum, college athletics is a billion dollar industry. I don't think a couple bucks off a MBB ticket that probably would have gone unsold anyway is putting Iowa's athletic department into ruin. No charity was defrauded here. A charity's name was used to try and grift cheaper tickets from a very wealthy entity.

College kids make mischevious choices at times. I did. I bet most of you did dumb things when you were 19. No one got hurt here and there was no possibility anyone could have gotten hurt here. The notion that this is a gateway crime and needs to be further punished is as hyperbolic as the dumbass troll who started this thread.

Now, back to exchange rates......

I can't believe we are giving this issue this kind of run, but I do like that Fry is hijacking the thread to discuss customs and vacations. Good work.
It's the off season. Basketball will probably miss the dance and won't get out of the first weekend with our seeding if we do, so it's dead air.

College kids make mischevious choices at times. I did. I bet most of you did dumb things when you were 19. No one got hurt here and there was no possibility anyone could have gotten hurt here. The notion that this is a gateway crime and needs to be further punished is as hyperbolic as the dumbass troll who started this thread.
You're being a little dramatic. No one is suggesting or seriously implying that the Illinois students get into legal trouble.

Honest non-sarcastic question because I've been asked by groups of friends to go...

If you're going to be inside the walls of a resort which pretty much makes it America anyway, wouldn't it be way easier just to go to Padre or Florida or south of San Diego somewhere instead of messing with customs, converting money, etc. I mean Padre is like 100 plus miles of resort towns and it's not like you get to experience a different country since everything down there is 100% gringo-ized.

Maybe it's cheaper overall?

I'll never go because I don't drink and I don't like people, but I was always curious what the allure was of going through all the bullshit just to feel like you're still in the states.
Been to Florida three times, loved it. Wave diving in the surf at Cocoa Beach three days after Hurricane Sandy came within 50 miles of the coast was a trip. Landing at Orlando Int'l with the eye less than 200 miles away was another one.

The other two places you mentioned are on my bucket list, but not in February. Anyone dealing with south Texas at 45 degrees this week definitely got the short end of the straw.

I can't remember the exact phrase you used last week, probably brainless yuppie or something to that effect. I'll respond the same way I did then. I'm in a Sweet spot right now

Post Covid
Wealthy enough to afford it
Healthy enough to enjoy it.

I can make an ass out of my self, in a fun way and in front of people I will never see again, for one week

I do want to get to the places you mentioned however. And your correct about south Padre. In fact we run into numerous people from south Texas on our vacations. Tuscon is another area like that. Forget Nogales, from the south side of Tuscon on down you are in the US in name only.

Last edited:
It's the off season. Basketball will probably miss the dance and won't get out of the first weekend with our seeding if we do, so it's dead air.
There are about eight teams tied up in a cluster F right now with five weeks to go, and about five of them will end up dancing. The teams who can win close games, win on the road, will separate themselves from the pack.

If we don't get in I will not look back at EiU. A blind squirrel will eventually find a nut. I will look back at Michigan State. They wont lose two conference games in that building all year and on a night where we caught them sleepwalking we still let them off the hook.

Sux. Big time. Just Glas they didn't dwell on it and lose the next two.

There are about eight teams tied up in a cluster F right now with five weeks to go, and about five of them will end up dancing. The teams who can win close games, win on the road, will separate themselves from the pack.

If we don't get in I will not look back at EiU. A blind squirrel will eventually find a nut. I will look back at Michigan State. They wont lose two conference games in that building all year and on a night where we caught them sleepwalking we still let them off the hook.

Sux. Big time. Just Glas they didn't dwell on it and lose the next two.
I don’t get bent about it. Or football. There’s too much other stuff in life. I want to win no doubt about it, but I get over losses real fast.

What will really kill me is when Woods leaves because Iowa won’t give him a coordinator job. I know for a fact he wants to retire in Iowa City, but Kurt is gonna make sure he and Brain go down in flames with the ship. At the point LW leaves, the Hayden era is over full stop and we are back to being the another nebraska/Purdue/Illinois/Minnesota on repeat, looking for the next schlep to to waste 4 years at a crack of our time going 6-6, while we older dudes come here and complain, wishing for the old days of Hawkeye culture back.

When that happens I’ll more than likely bow out. The Hayden Fry way and attitude and culture is what I’ve loved about Hawkeye football since I was old enough to remember; when that’s gone I don’t really have anything to get excited about. I’ll find something to replace it. It’ll be a shame no doubt, but life goes on.

Been to Florida three times, loved it. Wave diving in the surf at Cocoa Beach three days after Hurricane Sandy came within 50 miles of the coast was a trip. Landing at Orlando Int'l with the eye less than 200 miles away was another one.

The other two places you mentioned are on my bucket list, but not in February. Anyone dealing with south Texas at 45 degrees this week definitely got the short end of the straw.

I can't remember the exact phrase you used last week, probably brainless yuppie or something to that effect. I'll respond the same way I did then. I'm in a Sweet spot right now

Post Covid
Wealthy enough to afford it
Healthy enough to enjoy it.

I can make an ass out of my self, in a fun way and in front of people I will never see again, for one week

I do want to get to the places you mentioned however. And you’re correct about south Padre. In fact we run into numerous people from south Texas on our vacations. Tuscon is another area like that. Forget Nogales, from the south side of Tuscon on down you are in the US in name only.
It wasn’t brainless. I did say yuppies.

I in know way want to try and sway anyone as to what they do in their free time. The only reason I asked was because I thought that since it’s a cookie cutter experience it might be way less hassle to do it stateside.

Don’t worry, my idea of vacation isn’t most people’s. If I took a vacation (haven’t since early 2010) it would be to go camp in a tent for 6 days up in the Black Hills by myself or with my kid. Or maybe Yellowstone, but even that has too many people to me nowadays. If I walk into a bar that’s got more than 7 people in it or is playing music newer than Waylon Jennings' last album, I’m turning around and gettin the hell out of there. How you guys do large crowds of drunked-up loud middle agers is beyond me, lol.

I can see a few pennies here and there, but how exactly are you coming out "way" ahead? Give us an example for clarity.

It's not like a shirt in Canada has a price of $30CAD and a price in the states of $30USD at the same time.
Good question. Here is the math: I fill up my gas tank a couple of times, buy a bunch of groceries, do an overnight at a motel, eat in a couple of restaurants. I look at the total in Canadian dollars, convert with my credit card to US, and get (currently) a 30% discount. Dinner and some beer, $100 Canadian, $70 US. Vehicle and boat gas comes thru at US prices. If you have the Canada vendors give you a conversion rate, you are lucky to get 5%. My camp owner and friend Ryan charges US. No credit cards. So, I give him $1000 US, he gets $1300+ in local money. Good for him. He often plays the exchange rate market. It matters.

Warning! This is a hijack! I am done with the Orange Crush stuff. Sorry.

The weather here at home in April and into May is awful. Temps in the 40’s many days. Cloudy, rainy more than not. Thank you, Lake Michigan, 10 minutes away. Yuk.

So, I get season basketball ticks to keep me sane and out of the house, then head for St.Augustine, Amelia Island, and Cedar Key, where I live on fresh seafood for a month or more in 80 degree temps.

Return in time to prep for Canada. Yahoo!

I don’t get bent about it. Or football. There’s too much other stuff in life. I want to win no doubt about it, but I get over losses real fast.

What will really kill me is when Woods leaves because Iowa won’t give him a coordinator job. I know for a fact he wants to retire in Iowa City, but Kurt is gonna make sure he and Brain go down in flames with the ship. At the point LW leaves, the Hayden era is over full stop and we are back to being the another nebraska/Purdue/Illinois/Minnesota on repeat, looking for the next schlep to to waste 4 years at a crack of our time going 6-6, while we older dudes come here and complain, wishing for the old days of Hawkeye culture back.

When that happens I’ll more than likely bow out. The Hayden Fry way and attitude and culture is what I’ve loved about Hawkeye football since I was old enough to remember; when that’s gone I don’t really have anything to get excited about. I’ll find something to replace it. It’ll be a shame no doubt, but life goes on.
I've gotten over losses quicker as I get older, and routinely admonish others who don't or can't. But missed opportunities are the hardest ones to get over, for the reasons I pointed out in my post.

Michigan State was a flat out missed opportunity.

It wasn’t brainless. I did say yuppies.

I in know way want to try and sway anyone as to what they do in their free time. The only reason I asked was because I thought that since it’s a cookie cutter experience it might be way less hassle to do it stateside.

Don’t worry, my idea of vacation isn’t most people’s. If I took a vacation (haven’t since early 2010) it would be to go camp in a tent for 6 days up in the Black Hills by myself or with my kid. Or maybe Yellowstone, but even that has too many people to me nowadays. If I walk into a bar that’s got more than 7 people in it or is playing music newer than Waylon Jennings' last album, I’m turning around and gettin the hell out of there. How you guys do large crowds of drunked-up loud middle agers is beyond me, lol.
We did plenty of state side trips when our three kids were growing up, and have more to do in the future. Disney three times, Vail Colorado, southwest Colorado (loved it better than any Colorado trip), Chicago, Twin Cities, the Dells.

Been to Seattle, Vegas and New Orleans on childless vacations.

We've been on a Mexico kick for about five years. It will pass. Got too many stateside trips on the docket, including the Black Hills, for it not to

National media seems to be taking Illinois' side on this, focusing mainly on the late notice with which Iowa cancelled the tickets, spoiling all their fundraising work, and thus not giving Illinois any chance for alternate plans.

They are focusing very little on the facts that what Illinois did was fraudulent, and that they have done it repeatedly in the past.

Last edited:
The O and BF and Fran Con are more negative attention nationally than the Orange kids getting canceled .

We did plenty of state side trips when our three kids were growing up, and have more to do in the future. Disney three times, Vail Colorado, southwest Colorado (loved it better than any Colorado trip), Chicago, Twin Cities, the Dells.

Been to Seattle, Vegas and New Orleans on childless vacations.

We've been on a Mexico kick for about five years. It will pass. Got too many stateside trips on the docket, including the Black Hills, for it not to
Black Hills is absolutely spectacular. If you ever decide to go hit me up for some awesome stuff to do that most people don’t realize is there. The normal tourist stuff is still cool and you should still do the biggies like Rushmore, Badlands, et al, but I’ve been there several times and made sure to un-turn as many stones as possible.

Best trip I ever took was me and my kid when he was 7. Just the two of us camped in a tent at a primitive spot, about a three mile hike up in the mountains from the Sylvan Lake campground. Had to park at the lodge and haul everything up there on foot. Never gonna forget the first night.

We went early September right after Sturgis. He was a first grader and missed the first four days of school that year (I know, I’m a horrible parent). We went then so it’d still be somewhat warm but not too hot, and you avoid the huge biker crowds that are there from May through August.

First night we got there it was about 60° when we rolled in, I thought, we’re good to go. Got down to 37°, and believe it or not we had one of the most intense thunderstorms I’ve ever experienced that lasted all night. Just unbelievable thunder and lightning and it echoed forever through the mountains. We froze our asses off but we got the most spectacular show of a lifetime. I asked a park employee the next day what the hell the deal was and he said sometimes they get those in cold weather like that. Something about convection in the mountains, I don’t remember much of the explanation. The rest of the days and nights were absolutely beautiful. Not a drop of rain and mild temps.

Spent 6 days camping in the woods at 6,800’ feet and hung out together. I’d relive those 6 days on repeat forever if I could.

Black Hills is absolutely spectacular. If you ever decide to go hit me up for some awesome stuff to do that most people don’t realize is there. The normal tourist stuff is still cool and you should still do the biggies like Rushmore, Badlands, et al, but I’ve been there several times and made sure to un-turn as many stones as possible.

Best trip I ever took was me and my kid when he was 7. Just the two of us camped in a tent at a primitive spot, about a three mile hike up in the mountains from the Sylvan Lake campground. Had to park at the lodge and haul everything up there on foot. Never gonna forget the first night.

We went early September right after Sturgis. He was a first grader and missed the first four days of school that year (I know, I’m a horrible parent). We went then so it’d still be somewhat warm but not too hot, and you avoid the huge biker crowds that are there from May through August.

First night we got there it was about 60° when we rolled in, I thought, we’re good to go. Got down to 37°, and believe it or not we had one of the most intense thunderstorms I’ve ever experienced that lasted all night. Just unbelievable thunder and lightning and it echoed forever through the mountains. We froze our asses off but we got the most spectacular show of a lifetime. I asked a park employee the next day what the hell the deal was and he said sometimes they get those in cold weather like that. Something about convection in the mountains, I don’t remember much of the explanation. The rest of the days and nights were absolutely beautiful. Not a drop of rain and mild temps.

Spent 6 days camping in the woods at 6,800’ feet and hung out together. I’d relive those 6 days on repeat forever if I could.
I got a thing for old mining towns, and Lead South Dakota would certainly qualify.

Minturn Colorado was amazing with a farmer's market, flea market, history coming out of every pore, having a sasparilla in the saloon.

I could spend half a day getting lost in a decent flea market alone. What Cheer has a huge one every year in early October but haven't been able to make it the last three or four years.

I live in the midst of some historic Wisconsin mining towns. Mineral Point, Shullsburg, New Diggings, Potosi. You could make a three day weekend out of exploring the area, using Dubuque as your base if you so desired, and unearth all sorts of hidden treasures in those small towns and back roads.

I got a thing for old mining towns, and Lead South Dakota would certainly qualify.
Dude...

The 1880 train in the Black Hills would 110% be your kinda thing. It's friggin awesome.

It's an hour long narrated train ride between Keystone and Hill City, both former mining boom towns. Goes through the mountains and there's lots of old mining homesteads and claims, etc. It goes through National Forest land, the scenery is unreal.

It's kinda cool thew way it works. It runs back and forth, basically you buy a ticket for each way and pick your time. What my kid and I do is get on in Hill City, and we pick our return trip for later in the day. That gives us time to bum around and hang out in Keystone which is a super cool little town with great places to eat and lots of local shops that aren't just the touristy, "buy a bag of rocks' type places. There are lots of local crafts people making some really cool shit.

You get some really great views of Black Elk Peak (formerly Harney Peak, highest point east of the Rockies and west of the French Pyrenees.) and there's a lot of wildlife as well. Side bar, there are some awesome hikes up BEP, I've done 5 different routes and if you ever go I can give you some guidance there.

If you like history and science, the Mammoth Site is in Hot Springs just a short drive away which is one of the coolest things you can do there. Jewel Cave is also a must-do, it's mining-related but there's a lot more to the story, I'll let you google it for funsies. Also, if you go there skip the main tour that they call the Scenic Tour. It's ok, but it's a bazillion people on each go round, and you're gonna put up with the typical idiots trying to touch everything, talk over the tour guide, and babies crying.

What you want is the Historic Lantern Tour. It's fucking great. Basically you're in a small group of about 6-8 people, and you get your own guide who's an actual employee of NPS. The guides are all actually cavers in real life who do exploration, and they're cool as hell to listen to. The coolest part is that the tour is designed to be a reproduction of the first tours offered by the guys who discovered the cave back in the 20s. The tour guides wear the original 1930s park ranger outfits, and they take you places you don't get to see in the vanilla tour. You go in a completely separate entrance and get the history of the two dudes who discovered it by accident, and everyone carries old-style oil lanterns like they had in the 30s. It's badass.

Sorry man, I nerd out on that kind of stuff. It's up my alley more than the typical vacation stuff people do.

When I was in high school our business teacher took the last 5 minutes of every single class he taught—from accounting 1 & 2 all the way down to a guided studies special ed class where they taught kids how to use a checkbook—and spit out two digit numbers at random and required students to shoot back the change from a dollar.

He’d yell out 37 and point at someone and you had to shoot back 63. No calculator, no using your fingers. Even if you had to sit there for 20 seconds you had to do it in your head. 180 school days of that equals 15 hours. They need to bring simple shit like that back to school.

They can't. The school has to teach to the level of the dumbest kids now and anything that makes a kid not feel good has to be stopped. Math, xir, is racist.

I live in a devoutly religious area of the south (home of Bob Jones U) and what is remarkable to me is the extent to which religious affiliated institutions have dramatically expanded their mission to fill the gap on crap that has been jettisoned from the schools.

For example we go to what could be deemed a mega church that is a splinter off the Fundamental Independent Baptists but without the push against alcohol and without the fire and brimstone lectures about certain lifestyle choices. Our church pushes a quarterly financial well being event and they don't let grifter variable annuity and whole life salesmen into it. They push low expense ratio Vanguard, Schwab and Fidelity products, paying down debt, building emergency funds, etc. Volunteers helping folks get their stuff in order. It's pretty impressive.

My son is in Trail Life, a group that formed when the Southern Baptists and Methodists didn't like the direction of the Boy Scouts about 10 years ago. It's growing insanely fast. It fosters competition and cooperation, they specifically teach leadership, and for the older kids they also get into financial planning and are working their tails off to build scholarship funds and teaching kids to stay out of massive student loan debt. There are dudes with significant knowledge of the US educational system who are specifically targeting known shortcomings and trying to remediate all that stuff for the kids who go through the program.

The problem is vastly deeper than schools. Our society is marching quickly to a solitary existence staring at a phone screen. The content must be dissected into 28 second tic toc clips or 280 character tweets because the kids have zero attention span. Ours was bad due to TV and Nintendo, but the kids now would make us look like Socrates or Plato back in 1988. These activities that counter that stuff require a substantial parental commitment which many people are wholly unwilling or unable to undertake. Many of the parents who are willing to make a big commitment in their kids place it in, to steal a quote from the incomparable Nile C. Kinnick "sports emphasis," which makes a substantial majority of them go completely fvcking insane.

The kids who really need programs like that are the least likely to get into them. It sucks. There's one troop in the entire city of Chicago. 0 in New York.

They can't. The school has to teach to the level of the dumbest kids now and anything that makes a kid not feel good has to be stopped. Math, xir, is racist.

I live in a devoutly religious area of the south (home of Bob Jones U) and what is remarkable to me is the extent to which religious affiliated institutions have dramatically expanded their mission to fill the gap on crap that has been jettisoned from the schools.

For example we go to what could be deemed a mega church that is a splinter off the Fundamental Independent Baptists but without the push against alcohol and without the fire and brimstone lectures about certain lifestyle choices. Our church pushes a quarterly financial well being event and they don't let grifter variable annuity and whole life salesmen into it. They push low expense ratio Vanguard, Schwab and Fidelity products, paying down debt, building emergency funds, etc. Volunteers helping folks get their stuff in order. It's pretty impressive.

My son is in Trail Life, a group that formed when the Southern Baptists and Methodists didn't like the direction of the Boy Scouts about 10 years ago. It's growing insanely fast. It fosters competition and cooperation, they specifically teach leadership, and for the older kids they also get into financial planning and are working their tails off to build scholarship funds and teaching kids to stay out of massive student loan debt. There are dudes with significant knowledge of the US educational system who are specifically targeting known shortcomings and trying to remediate all that stuff for the kids who go through the program.

The problem is vastly deeper than schools. Our society is marching quickly to a solitary existence staring at a phone screen. The content must be dissected into 28 second tic toc clips or 280 character tweets because the kids have zero attention span. Ours was bad due to TV and Nintendo, but the kids now would make us look like Socrates or Plato back in 1988. These activities that counter that stuff require a substantial parental commitment which many people are wholly unwilling or unable to undertake. Many of the parents who are willing to make a big commitment in their kids place it in, to steal a quote from the incomparable Nile C. Kinnick "sports emphasis," which makes a substantial majority of them go completely fvcking insane.

The kids who really need programs like that are the least likely to get into them. It sucks. There's one troop in the entire city of Chicago. 0 in New York.
It’s hopeless. I have a cousin who is one generation younger than me and just got started working for the Postal Service at age 26. Has great opportunities for retirement accounts but he declines everything. He’s all in on crypto and whatever else Elon Musk is doing, and thinks that’s his ticket to retirement. He’s a typical, makes-good-money-but-always-broke guy. His last one I heard him talking about a couple Christmases ago was Doge Coin; I don’t follow crypto.

The best thing about getting my business degree wasn’t any of the high-level stuff because nerds have made that obsolete. The important thing was really learning and studying the effect of interest and TVM. If you understand how interest works and what TVM is, you can easily make choices that will allow you to function well in society and retire someday. You don’t have to be a poindexter to participate. They could easily reach both of those topics (interest and TVM) in high school, but they don’t.

And that’s how you end up with dudes like my cousin living off social security when he’s 68 and never taking care of himself because he can’t afford it.

Local Champaign social media is pretty overwhelmingly negative on.....Orange Krush and calling for advisers to be held accountable. Local bar has paid for losses and taking adult heat.

Latest posts