Hawks better off in NIT this year

Absolutely. But I also doubt we'd be in the Sweet 16 if we'd made the tournament.

We'd more likely be in Montana's shoes.

We'd have been a 12 or 13. None of the 4s or 5s would have been sure losses for this ballclub. But by this round we'd run into the one seeds (or Wichitall who already beat us) so we'd prolly only have 2 wins in the NCAA tourney and because 3 wins are better than 2, we're better off where we ended up.

I agree

Seeing this team play so well has made me think about next year. An Iowa team doesn't have a chance to win the BIG every year, but they do next year.

Every players goal should be bringing home the first championship to Iowa City since 1979. Been far too long. They will be remembered forever if they do, no matter what happens in the NCAA.

Alford won 2 championships.

FWIW, anyone who wants to rationalize how we're better off than possibly being in LaSalle's current position is kidding themselves. Playing in MSG is a nice parting gift for May, but I'm sure he would take a sweet 16 against Wichita St. any day.

Well no ****.

Of course it is. I guess we did learn to beat two teams with RPIs that were better than 300 so Fran can go ahead and schedule some more meaty creampuffs next year.

OK...it is obvious that you are not interested in seriously entertaining the views of others on this topic, but rather are spending your time coming up with one negative point after another, with little attention to logic and reality. Boredom has set in for me and I think I will set my DVR for the NIT semi finals in New York City so I can watch the real winners in all of this, the kids on the team, play another good basketball game against a pretty salty opponent. Done with this thread.

The only thing preventing us being in LaSalle's shoes would be Wisconsin staying there as the 5. Maybe that even played a role in us being left out? Who knows.

No, they would've switched Wisconsin to a different region, so maybe they would play Cal and UNLV would play Ole Miss. Or something like that. That's certainly not what kept us out.

Well, I have to weigh in here and I really only have one comment to make:

FU NIT, I will take a one and done in the NCAA tournament any day.
If you really think Iowa is getting that much exposure, don't kid yourself. The thing is people except with rooting interests don't watch the NIT.

Iowa played at Virginia last night, yes they actually won a road game, but keep in mind Virginia had how many losses against top 100 RPI teams? They were an 11-win ACC team in a very down ACC, just take a look at how well Miami is playing tonight and it won't surprise me if MSU knocks off Duke.
Because I am ripping the ACC, Iowa will now probably lose to Maryland, but hey it was a nice run in the NIT...

Programs are more respected by making the NCAA tournament and how good Iowa is next year has nothing to do with how well they do in the NIT, sorry it just doesn't. Look at Stanford and Minnesota last year, Stanford back in the NIT and Minnesota barely made it in the NCAA. Oregon is probably the best team in the NCAA from last year's NIT and they didn't make the Semis IIRC.

What matters for Iowa next year is this:
1. No sophomore slumps
2. Marble performs against good teams and plays PG
3. 15/2 shoot like they have the last couple of games
4. Woodbury plays 25 mpg; he has played really well the last few weeks
5. Shot selection and ball movement, which is why Iowa won last night, a lot of extra passes and not too many forced shots.

It is all well and good that Iowa is playing well right now and I enjoy watching Iowa play, just wish it was tonight, tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday...or even those same four days last week.

Iowa basketball has arrived again and next year is going to be really fun and for years to come.

Latest posts