And by 5 to Penn State

Total of 14 to 3 very good teams

We really didn't expect to win at Michigan and Wisconsin preseason

And some didn't believe we would beat Penn State at Kinnick

Still leaves a bad taste in one's mouth

F
A series of close losses is a symptom of bad coaching...a leadership of losing

How did the 2 point conversion fail?
Just got home from Mad Town and that would be a good place to start. Have no idea what has been discussed in 51 pages of this thread, but why did Stanley not reach to ball over the goal line when he got close? It's a dead ball situation, he had nothing to lose by reaching because a fumble can't hurt him there. Reach the ball and break the plane.

The long TD to Tracy itself, while providing needed points, was a bit unfortunate because it put a tired defense right back on the field. But not a whole lot you could do there, only hope the defense gets one more stop. If we get our hands back on that ball Duncan is winning it with a field goal.

Stanley brought heart today, but had a costly, costly turnover. We were driving when he fumbled the center exchange, even one of Kirk's beloved fg's would have helped. Not to be.

Where was Wisconsin's feared pass rush the last three quarters? May have been our offensive line's best job of pass blocking against a good defense all season.

Not going for the onside kick was the right call. Too early. Needed to get a stop. I didn't like burning the second time out on second and short. They were going to get a first. I would have preferred burning it on the next first down then hoping they got off schedule.

Kirk was clearly playing for a field goal on the first scoring drive. Like Iowa State, you want to get points early in a hostile road environment. But that felt like a moral victory for Wisconsin in that situation. First the strip and recovery, then the defensive holding immediately after. It was the 2018 punt return muff in reverse and we couldn't take advantage.

The running into the kicker, instead of roughing, was unfortunate. We could have taken those three points off the board and been in good position for seven (actually eight) with a fifteen yard roughing.

Why couldn't we stop Taylor? They killed us in time of possession.

Kirk was outcoached big time today.

That is all for now.

Last edited:
I like Kirk just as much as the next guy. He’s as likable as anyone I’ve ever seen in the coaching ranks. But his time as Iowa’s head coach is quickly coming to an end. He’s not that far from retirement. You would think, as time keeps marching by, he would just once let it all hang out. It’s time for Kirk to just say “f*ck it” and throw caution into the wind. Let’s just throw the damn ball like Purdue does. Use up tempo and sling it around! What the hell does he have to lose at this time of his career? Let’s put pressure on the opposing teams defense and use the pass to open up the run game. He needs to stop trying to keep it close and win in the fourth quarter when instead he can have the game won by halftime instead. Take some chances, what have we got to lose? Light the bastards up!

It is called choking.
I wouldn’t call it that. Wisconsin was moving the ball all game so a continuation of that on the last drive is no surprise and not a choke. Parker rush-blitz nearly every play that drive and still couldn’t stop them.

Him and some other posters I think get together and lick Jell-O shots off each other’s belly whenever we play it safe and kick field goals
You and some others just skip the Jell-O shots and go straight to licking each others’ balls.

I wouldn’t call it that. Wisconsin was moving the ball all game so a continuation of that on the last drive is no surprise and not a choke. Parker rush-blitz nearly every play that drive and still couldn’t stop them.
Perhaps Wisconsin is better, tolerates nothing less than winning.

Just got home from Mad Town and that would be a good place to start. Have no idea what has been discussed in 51 pages of this thread, but why did Stanley not reach to ball over the goal line when he got close? It's a dead ball situation, he had nothing to lose by reaching because a fumble can't hurt him there. Reach the ball and break the plane.

The long TD to Tracy itself, while providing needed points, was a bit unfortunate because it put a tired defense right back on the field. But not a whole lot you could do there, only hope the defense gets one more stop. If we get our hands back on that ball Duncan is winning it with a field goal.

Stanley brought heart today, but had a costly, costly turnover. We were driving when he fumbled the center exchange, even one of Kirk's beloved fg's would have helped. Not to be.

Where was Wisconsin's feared pass rush the last three quarters? May have been our offensive line's best job of pass blocking against a good defense all season.

Not going for the onside kick was the right call. Too early. Needed to get a stop. I didn't like burning the second time out on second and short. They were going to get a first. I would have preferred burning it on the next first down then hoping they got off schedule.

Kirk was clearly playing for a field goal on the first scoring drive. Like Iowa State, you want to get points early in a hostile road environment. But that felt like a moral victory for Wisconsin in that situation. First the strip and recovery, then the defensive holding immediately after. It was the 2018 punt return muff in reverse and we couldn't take advantage.

The running into the kicker, instead of roughing, was unfortunate. We could have taken those three points off the board and been in good position for seven (actually eight) with a fifteen yard roughing.

Why couldn't we stop Taylor? They killed us in time of possession.

Kirk was outcoached big time today.

That is all for now.

Excellent Post

This what made me scream at the TV yesterday

:cool:

Latest posts