Hawkeyes Have Good Chance with NYC PG Christian Vital

He looks to have potential. I like how he says he is aggressive. We need that for sure. He has a nice looking shot, with a good high release. I would definitely take that too. A ball handler with a good stroke is just what the doctor ordered.

His wanting to be a business major certainly helps Iowa, if he is serious on the academic side. The Hawkeyes playing several times a year out east helps our cause as well.

Vital is in the perfect position for minutes. The most up for grab minutes on the team are where Christian plays. He would have the opportunity to play right away. And play a lot.

Looks like a good fit for both.

I'm not sure what void Vital fills. He's not a PG and he doesn't look to be quick or athletic to take guys off the dribble. I'd be much happier giving this scholarship to a grad transfer or banking it instead of giving it to someone we never recruited before but is available now late in the process. That being said, I'm surprised by some of his late offers from top schools. But even Louisville has guys offers guys that never contribute sitting at the end of their bench.

I'm not sure what void Vital fills. He's not a PG and he doesn't look to be quick or athletic to take guys off the dribble. I'd be much happier giving this scholarship to a grad transfer or banking it instead of giving it to someone we never recruited before but is available now late in the process. That being said, I'm surprised by some of his late offers from top schools. But even Louisville has guys offers guys that never contribute sitting at the end of their bench.

Except he is a PG...

Except he is a PG...

Says who? Most recruiting sites list him as a SG, some list him as a Combo guard, none as a PG. There's nothing in his highlight tape that says PG, he's only handing the ball on the wing. Like I said before, he certainly doesn't look at all athletic so he won't be taking guys off the dribble which is what we've been lacking for years.

From the picture I saw of him he looks athletic.

I guess we should trust Fran based off his track record at landing quality PG's ... errrrr, wait.

You're right that Fran hasn't been able to secure a top rated pg, yet. But it hasn't been for lack of trying. Fran is targeting elite quality HS pg's and we've been losing out. That happens. I'd be more upset if Fran hadn't been targeting elite quality pg's. Don't forget, if not for KY, Ulis wears black and gold. If not for "rumored" hinky stuff that lead Fran to walk away from Moore (first time), we were leading with him.

You're right that Fran hasn't been able to secure a top rated pg, yet. But it hasn't been for lack of trying. Fran is targeting elite quality HS pg's and we've been losing out. That happens. I'd be more upset if Fran hadn't been targeting elite quality pg's. Don't forget, if not for KY, Ulis wears black and gold. If not for "rumored" hinky stuff that lead Fran to walk away from Moore (first time), we were leading with him.

Ulis would have went to Michigan State. I'm not sure Vitale is a true PG but I think it'd be an upgrade with what we have currently. I'd prefer a grad transfer but will trust Fran on taking the best available option

I guess we should trust Fran based off his track record at landing quality PG's ... errrrr, wait.

There's this funny little tidbit about high quality or elite PG's or players in general.... High quality or elite programs recruit them as well. It's amazing to me how naive some people are. It's just "Hey Fran why don't you stroll over Chicago and ask Charlie Moore to come play for Iowa?". I'm sure he's never thought of that! Good grief. You act like he isn't trying. He's trying. It's not easy when the number of elite players is limited and there's a bunch of very good programs vying for their services. Iowa is not Kentucky. Not even close.

I'm not making excuses and I'm sure Fran isn't either, but some people need a reality check.

If you have a problem with Fran and point guards, it should be his ability to land the ones he recruits. You should have no problem with the ones he actually goes after. If you were saying you highly doubt Fran can actually land this kid, that could make a little sense. You saying you don't trust Fran for trying to get him makes no sense at all.

I hope Iowa lands him but didn't see anything in the article that leads me to believe that Hawkeyes Have Good Chance with NYC PG Christian Vital. Not saying that Iowa doesn't have a chance, but the title of the article makes me think that Iowa has better than a 50% chance of getting the kid. His comments didn't make me think that.

I hope Iowa lands him but didn't see anything in the article that leads me to believe that Hawkeyes Have Good Chance with NYC PG Christian Vital. Not saying that Iowa doesn't have a chance, but the title of the article makes me think that Iowa has better than a 50% chance of getting the kid. His comments didn't make me think that.

I thought the same thing. Seems more like we are just one of 5 schools. 20% chance give or take.

There's this funny little tidbit about high quality or elite PG's or players in general.... High quality or elite programs recruit them as well. It's amazing to me how naive some people are. It's just "Hey Fran why don't you stroll over Chicago and ask Charlie Moore to come play for Iowa?". I'm sure he's never thought of that! Good grief. You act like he isn't trying. He's trying. It's not easy when the number of elite players is limited and there's a bunch of very good programs vying for their services. Iowa is not Kentucky. Not even close.

I'm not making excuses and I'm sure Fran isn't either, but some people need a reality check.
I see people way too often criticize Fran for not landing Ulis or Paige or whoever else. I mean realistically in Iowa's best years it would have been a near impossible sell to get those guy here, but it wasn't long ago that Iowa basketball was dead. Now there is life, so yes, I hope we get some more high level guys (let's not forget AW and MG were both fairly big recruits) but we still aren't competing with Kentucky and UNC...it's just not going to happen most the time. We did get Woodbury though (suck it UNC!)

I posted this awhile back in a different thread about him. Here's what ESPN says about him:

Vital is extremely competitive and plays with a major chip on his shoulder. He refuses to back down from anyone, will defend bigger guys and raise the level of those around him. He is a good three-point shooter who can both make them in bunches as well as in big moments, which he seems to relish. He's a quality secondary ball-handler, has a good pull-up game and use of both hands around the rim. He's also a scrappy defender and good perimeter rebounder. He shoots the ball well, but his best attribute is his toughness. He's as competitive as they come and when push comes to shove he's a guy you want on your side in the big moments.

I posted this awhile back in a different thread about him. Here's what ESPN says about him:

Man would it be nice to get a player who was clutch at the end of games to replace some anti clutch players. Fran would instantly go from a terrible end of game coach to a great one.

Imagine if Fran could win close games like Villanova. That was so impressive how in a tie game with 4 and a half seconds left he found a way to get his team a deep 3 point attempt.

OK.

We need to come up with a chart so I know what words to use in headlines.

So far, if I used "good chance" in a headline, we have a vote for that needing to be 50 percent chance or better.

We need percentages for

"OK Chance"

"Pretty Good Chance"

"Excellent Chance"

"Outstanding Chance"

"Slim Chance"

"Snowball's Chance in Hell"

Please. Weigh in. :)

Latest posts