Hawkeyes find off-court foes they didn't expect

As far as the comments go... I agree with patmyne. Anything I post on a message board, facebook, or twitter account I would absolutely say to another person's face. Whether I'm having a discussion with Joe Schmo on a message board, or if I'm talking strategy, coaching decisions, or player performance. If you can get behind your keyboard and say something online then it should be something you would be willing to say in person. If not, then you are a coward. Plain and simple.

These message boards are a perfect example of fans in today's society. There is a select group of people who do nothing but COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, and COMPLAIN. Most of them have absolutely no clue what the hell they are talking about, but all they need is a keyboard to make themselves heard. I've wasted plenty of time in the past arguing with individuals like this on here for no apparent reason. I've learned my lesson in that regard, but I still find it hard to resist because I just do not understand it. I can't fathom living my life that way. I can't fathom being a fan that way.

I absolutely can not fathom some blowhard sending derogatory comments to a collegiate athlete. It's one of the most pathetic things I've heard of from a fan perspective, and I'm embarrassed that Hawk fans in general get thrown into the same category as the select few individuals who are stupid enough to do something like that. I was embarrassed when I first heard about it, but reading Greg Brunner's comments really made it sink in. These are kids who have put in countless hours of work to wear that Hawkeye jersey. I guarantee you the majority of people taking potshots at them don't have 1/10 the work ethic these players do. For any fan to sit back and make personal insults at a kid who dreamed of playing at Iowa just makes me sick.

Agree totally. I would never post some of the stuff that apparently was posted on McCabe's Twitter account, or even say those types of things on this board. A few bad apple can spoil the barrel, though. Criticizing a player's play is one thing, but some stuff just goes over a line that shouldn't be crossed. And online or in person, I always try to be respectful of others.

Sometimes, the old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" can be good advice in certain situations.

That said, if I was any sort of public figure, I wouldn't have a social media account, for this very reason.

That is considered offensive because it is the word that was invented to describe people with severe mental issues. They came up with a new term to describe them that isn't as offensive. Not for about 10 more years anyway. Then it too will become offensive and have to be filtered.

it also means....
transitive verb

: to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment : impede

It's not simply a slur toward someone with mental illness.

All will be forgotten by Sunday if Iowa comes back home with wins in Minneapolis and Bloomington this week.

I actually expect McCabe to get the loudest ovation now on Senior Day against Illinois.

I would have thought the same... before he posted that tweet. Big mistake for a "Senior Leader".

it also means....
transitive verb

: to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment : impede

It's not simply a slur toward someone with mental illness.
To pretend that this is the use of the word on these boards is immature and lacks intelligence.

Almost every Iowa fan I know from die-hards to casuals has complained about McCabe's play all season long. With the exception of some early games against teams in the RPI 200's.

You guys that think he's some sort of beloved Hawkeye are the ones who are mentally delusional.
Everyone knows he didn't play well. Zach knows he didn't play well. That isn't the point. The point is, you don't contact him on social media and call him a "f'n loser." Do you seriously disagree with this?

I always love Greg Brunner and I remembered when playing away games , Some fans would hold up "where's your Rograine" or anything about his balding hair. He didn't let it bother him too much!

He still playing Professional basketball making millions dollars and the fans who made fun of him probably wish they didnt make fun of him,at all.

Almost every Iowa fan I know from die-hards to casuals has complained about McCabe's play all season long. With the exception of some early games against teams in the RPI 200's.

You guys that think he's some sort of beloved Hawkeye are the ones who are mentally delusional.

Every Hawk that busts his butt, plays hard, helps his team, has his teammates backs, commits to the team, makes the grades, and stays out of regular trouble....us a beloved Hawk to me....every one of them.

Cue the emotional tribute music brotha.

Let it die? What the *** are you thinking? I hope this stays current until the idiots who piled on McCabe leave in shame. But that will never happen, internet tough guys have no shame.

Correction: ANONYMOUS internet tough guys have no shame... and no cajones.

Latest posts