Hawkeyes find off-court foes they didn't expect

Nice stuff from Brunner, Always luved watching him play hard.

I talked to Greg yesterday and he was really ****** about what was going on, more upset than I've seen him in regards to Iowa basketball in a long time. The entire thing is extremely embarrassing for everyone that roots for Iowa.

I'm really glad these former hawkeyes are commenting on this.

Some of the hawk fans here, and in person, have been really, well, pathetic the last few years. Football and basketball n are ENTERTAINMENT, folks.

I love the hawkeyes, and have been going to games since I can remember. However, some perspective helps when you lose to, ugh... Wisky. I happen to live in Madison, and I hate to lose to them.

However, Wisky is really good right now, and we were without Besabe. The season isn't over.

Some Iowa fans need to take a deep breath and stop living vicariously through the team (even just a little). Get a life, folks. Life goes on, and the hawks are a damn good team.

Nice job Jack. And Greg did an excellent job with his response. Social media and message boards can be devastating and those people in the spotlight can choose to be a part of it or not and need to be prepared to deal with the criticism if they choose to be part of the crazy negative world we've become. Like Greg said we need to support a young Hawk like Zach and not destroy his confidence and pride, when he's worked so hard to become a Hawkeye. I'm afraid people that say such horrible things that hide behind a username would not say those things face to have with someone. Zach is a great kid and an Iowa Hawkeye we should all be proud of and support just like or own children.

Nice job Jack. And Greg did an excellent job with his response. Social media and message boards can be devastating and those people in the spotlight can choose to be a part of it or not and need to be prepared to deal with the criticism if they choose to be part of the crazy negative world we've become. Like Greg said we need to support a young Hawk like Zach and not destroy his confidence and pride, when he's worked so hard to become a Hawkeye. I'm afraid people that say such horrible things that hide behind a username would not say those things face to have with someone. Zach is a great kid and an Iowa Hawkeye we should all be proud of and support just like or own children.

I'm heartened by folks out there that think like you do. Thanks.

Finally got it to work. It is a great article and is worth it. It brings to light a problem with fandom (though a small percentage). It might bring up wounds for zach but it needed to be said and I don't think zach would be ashamed of it being brought up in this way.

Some fans are ****** and attacking a player in such a personal way is beyond messed up. I hate when pro athletes face this crap and they make millions, it's worse that a college player has to face it.

That said though, there may be some correlation between not being able to handle some criticism from idiots on line and constantly collapsing in the closing minutes of close games against good teams. Honestly a high level athlete should be able to ignore this ****.

Fans do need to stop acting like entitled people though. At the end of the day, we watch other people struggle so we can brag to our friends about someone elses accomplishment.

Oh and players really should stay off message boards. There's really nothing positive here for them at all.

Idiots who post idiot things should be called out. Whether it be on twitter by the guy they direct their idiocy towards or by a newspaper writer.
Idiots don't get a free pass for being dum dum.

Don't call them morons. If you've seen the screen grab of the comments, it's pretty clear they are younger than McCabe. How dare you say something mean on the internet. Just awful, stop the presses- no, stop the entire world from spinning. Big time news, people say mean things online. I mean, I have a buddy about a year older than McCabe serving in Afghanistan right now, but McCabe is just a cute little kid that needs to be coddled.

You are clearly missing something here, Hawkstrat.

I'm concerned about our teams attitude there. This potential "Us vs the fanbase" mentality that they seem to have just feels like what you'd hear as a team collapses. I hope it causes them to band together and they whoop some ***.

I'm concerned about our teams attitude there. This potential "Us vs the fanbase" mentality that they seem to have just feels like what you'd hear as a team collapses. I hope it causes them to band together and they whoop some ***.

I think it shows how weak this team is. The reason they collapse down the stretch, is the same reason Fran felt the need to tell off a fan, and why McCabe had to make a big deal out of a twitter insult. They are weak.

I think it shows how weak this team is. The reason they collapse down the stretch, is the same reason Fran felt the need to tell off a fan, and why McCabe had to make a big deal out of a twitter insult. They are weak.

Nate Kaeding says you are no Hawkeye fan.

I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze people who I watch on TV and only hear various quotes from every so often but there is evidence that supports the mentally weak argument and it goes from the top down. Fran flipped out at Wisconsin as Wisconsin was on a run, multiple blown late leads for two straight years (with some awful decision making and turnovers that don't occur much during the rest of the game), terrible play during the hyped up games, players shushing their own crowds, the Twitter out burst from Zach, there are a lot of concerning signs here.

When you think composed, championship contender you don't usually think of traits that are similar to most of these.

Last edited:

Well...it doesn't excuse the twitter vulgarity from the fans...but I think Dakich/Bilas/whoever it was basically said the same thing...this team just lacks toughness all around. The coach can be a headcase and the team adopts that.

I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze people who I watch on TV and only hear various quotes from every so often but there is evidence that supports the mentally weak argument and it goes from the top down. Fran flipped out at Wisconsin as Wisconsin was on a run, multiple blown late leads for two straight years (with some awful decision making and turnovers that don't occur much during the rest of the game), terrible play during the hyped up games, players shushing their own crowds, the Twitter out burst from Zach, there are a lot of concerning signs here, terrible play during the hyped up games.

When you think composed, championship contender you don't usually think of traits that are similar to most of these.

Exactly, none of those things are things that come to mind when you think about a Tom Izzo MSU team, or Wisky with Ryan

Latest posts