Hawkeyes Against the World

I'm not really a big fan of the back against the wall or underdog mentality. Its a sign of desperation and a ready made excuse for losing.

I'm more of a fan of "we have better players than you, we should win, there is no excuse for us losing, so we are going to win." That shows confidence.

Whatever it takes to get yourself ready I guess. To each his own.

Nice to hear the Vandervelde part. Good kid, hope he gets a shot at the next level.

I'm not really a big fan of the back against the wall or underdog mentality. Its a sign of desperation and a ready made excuse for losing.

I'm more of a fan of "we have better players than you, we should win, there is no excuse for us losing, so we are going to win." That shows confidence.

So what instument did you play in the band?

So what instument did you play in the band?

This one time at band camp...

images

Xerxes has a point though.

I'm sure Kirk is different in the locker room but I have to say I get tired of the constant team deprecation, poor boy act. Iowa has a damn fine program and should expect to win.

What I'm saying is that pride is a great motivator too and it would be nice to see that card played once in a while.

Xerxes has a point though.

I'm sure Kirk is different in the locker room but I have to say I get tired of the constant team deprecation, poor boy act. Iowa has a damn fine program and should expect to win.

What I'm saying is that pride is a great motivator too and it would be nice to see that card played once in a while.

Or how about just wanting to go out and beat the hell out of your competition based on the simple fact that they are there...instead of "ooohhhh I'm soooooo mad and disrespected I'm really gonna git ya now!"

images

At one point this program could use the chip on the shoulder, but we continue to graduate players to the NFL.

We're not some lowly Iowa anymore, we're a great program for developing talent, and competing for conference titles, in fact winning two of them the last decade.

I don't see how we as fans can keep our expectations low when we have been shown a form of excellence of the years that leads us to believe Iowa can compete with anyone.

So it's a bit weird hearing coach speak about how we're not sexy, we don't have the horses, or resources to compete.

So why play? At some point the coaches need to start instilling confidence, and that goes through practice, schemes, and game plans.

I really hope this is the last year that we get the "We're Iowa, we do things the Iowa way, and we hope it works out".

At one point this program could use the chip on the shoulder, but we continue to graduate players to the NFL.

We're not some lowly Iowa anymore, we're a great program for developing talent, and competing for conference titles, in fact winning two of them the last decade.

I don't see how we as fans can keep our expectations low when we have been shown a form of excellence of the years that leads us to believe Iowa can compete with anyone.

So it's a bit weird hearing coach speak about how we're not sexy, we don't have the horses, or resources to compete.

So why play? At some point the coaches need to start instilling confidence, and that goes through practice, schemes, and game plans.

I really hope this is the last year that we get the "We're Iowa, we do things the Iowa way, and we hope it works out".

Good post. Agreed.

Queue the "I remember when we didn't win for 20 years" post....

Good post. Agreed.

Queue the "I remember when we didn't win for 20 years" post....

And screw whoever makes it! I was born in 1978 and holy freaking crap that team has almost always been good and that's the way it ought to be!

Go HAWKS!!! Screw Ohio State, I hate those guys. Put the pedal down and win this game for the seniors!

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!

Some prefer the "poor boy/disrespected" act. That's fine. As I said, to each his own. I don't think its wrong or bad, just not my approach.

Also, I have a question for hawkfan340, racerhawk, & Drakebulldog93:

What's an instument?

Reading ARob's comments, I just don't see why it takes us an underdog role to get fired up? Why can't we be confident with regardless of who we are playing?

My point is that, for whatever reason, teams perform better when they are out to prove others wrong. Look at the NCAA basketball tourney, there's a reason 9 seeds have a higher winning pct. than 8 seeds. When you put two relatively equally talented teams together, the one with a chip on it's shoulder has the advantage. That tiny bit of extra motivation can make the difference.

Nice to hear the Vandervelde part. Good kid, hope he gets a shot at the next level.

Haha, you know, I'd never expect to hear this from someone named Xerxes. :D

I also get tired of the "everyone's doubting us" line. Having played sports, it is a motivator if you are a weak or middling team, but for good teams the "everyone's doubting us" just doesn't make sense. You know you're good, so no one's doubting you unless you give them a reason to doubt you. If you're good, you don't need the media or fans to show their disappointment to be motivated to play. I think we've seen what this team is capable of this year and last weekend we didn't see it. Fans disappointment shouldn't be surprising to KF or the player, however, fans doing like the guy who facebook'd Sash and Stross last year go too far.