Hawkeye fans going to Chicago!!!

I still don't have a game ducat. I guess I'll scalp. Or let ticketmaster sandusky me to the tune of $80 for a turrrble seat.

I live 3 blocks from soldier field, take it for what its worth... all of these suggestions are great for Iowa games, however if you are planning on actually going to the game, you are a long way away from Soldier field at any of these hawkeye bars mentioned above. Theory is the closest Iowa bar to Soldier field in River North. Again, Wrigleyville is great place to watch, but if you are going, I highly recommend you set up shop closer to the south. $10-15 cab ride is not accurate. I cab there often for cub games, or to watch Iowa games, it is closer to $20-25. You can however take the redline from that area to Roosevelt stop for $2.25.

While there is no Iowa bars in the South loop(not many bars at all to be honest), there are a few places I can recommend that are sure to be temporary hawkeye bars for Saturday Sept 1.

All of the following are walking distance to Soldier field, approx a 15 minute walk, unfortunately there is no direct route due to Lake Shore Drive being between the South loop and Soldier field.

BARS:

1. The Scout(13th & Wabash), best bar in the south loop if you ask me, tons of tvs, great looking waitresses. I've heard complaints about the staff being too slow, however I have never experienced that.

2. Krolls(18th & Michigan), large bar, good food, and a huge beer selection. It is a good pregame option because you can cross over Lake Shore Drive at the 18th street bridge. If you are heading out of the bar, cross Michigan ave on 18th and just keep walking, the street will bend south and there is a bridge there that will lead you straight to Soldier.

3. Wabash Tap (13th & Wabash). I consider this somewhat of a dive(which are typically my kind of bars) however I rarely go there. But before Bears games, this is another hot spot due to location, so I anticipate this to be full of hawkeye fans.

4. Kitty O'Sheas (Michigan & Balbo). For any fans staying at the Hilton, this bar is at your front door. Irish pub, good food.

5. Weathermark. (Michigan & 16th). sailing theme, not a bad place, not too many tvs.

you're on your own for hotels based on how much you want to spend and how close you want to be. I would recommend Hilton (700 S. Michigan Hilton) since it is so close, however it may be pricey, I'm not sure. There is also a Best Western on Michigan Ave very close to Soldier, I'm guessing this is cheaper. And if you are looking to spend $$, check out Blackstone.

Breakfast: if you are going to be in the south loop before the game, and want to grab breakfast before you tailgate. Yolk might be one of the best places in the city at Roosevelt and Michigan. If you go anytime after 8, expect about 30 min wait. Bongo room is nontraditional breakfast, but popular (Roosevelt & Wabash). Next to that, 11th City Diner they have good breakfast. There is a newer place called Waffles at 14th & Michigan also very good.

As a hawkeye living in this neighborhood, I thought I would pass along my $.02.

I live 3 blocks from soldier field, take it for what its worth... all of these suggestions are great for Iowa games, however if you are planning on actually going to the game, you are a long way away from Soldier field at any of these hawkeye bars mentioned above. Theory is the closest Iowa bar to Soldier field in River North. Again, Wrigleyville is great place to watch, but if you are going, I highly recommend you set up shop closer to the south. $10-15 cab ride is not accurate. I cab there often for cub games, or to watch Iowa games, it is closer to $20-25. You can however take the redline from that area to Roosevelt stop for $2.25.

While there is no Iowa bars in the South loop(not many bars at all to be honest), there are a few places I can recommend that are sure to be temporary hawkeye bars for Saturday Sept 1.

All of the following are walking distance to Soldier field, approx a 15 minute walk, unfortunately there is no direct route due to Lake Shore Drive being between the South loop and Soldier field.

BARS:

1. The Scout(13th & Wabash), best bar in the south loop if you ask me, tons of tvs, great looking waitresses. I've heard complaints about the staff being too slow, however I have never experienced that.

2. Krolls(18th & Michigan), large bar, good food, and a huge beer selection. It is a good pregame option because you can cross over Lake Shore Drive at the 18th street bridge. If you are heading out of the bar, cross Michigan ave on 18th and just keep walking, the street will bend south and there is a bridge there that will lead you straight to Soldier.

3. Wabash Tap (13th & Wabash). I consider this somewhat of a dive(which are typically my kind of bars) however I rarely go there. But before Bears games, this is another hot spot due to location, so I anticipate this to be full of hawkeye fans.

4. Kitty O'Sheas (Michigan & Balbo). For any fans staying at the Hilton, this bar is at your front door. Irish pub, good food.

5. Weathermark. (Michigan & 16th). sailing theme, not a bad place, not too many tvs.

you're on your own for hotels based on how much you want to spend and how close you want to be. I would recommend Hilton (700 S. Michigan Hilton) since it is so close, however it may be pricey, I'm not sure. There is also a Best Western on Michigan Ave very close to Soldier, I'm guessing this is cheaper. And if you are looking to spend $$, check out Blackstone.

Breakfast: if you are going to be in the south loop before the game, and want to grab breakfast before you tailgate. Yolk might be one of the best places in the city at Roosevelt and Michigan. If you go anytime after 8, expect about 30 min wait. Bongo room is nontraditional breakfast, but popular (Roosevelt & Wabash). Next to that, 11th City Diner they have good breakfast. There is a newer place called Waffles at 14th & Michigan also very good.

As a hawkeye living in this neighborhood, I thought I would pass along my $.02.

15 min walk is not accurate. I often walk near there on my way to Shed; it is closer to 18-20 mins.

Technically, it could take up to 30 minutes depending on how slow you move.

Was just having a little fun. Glad you took it in stride. We're actually going to the open Bears practice tonight, so I'll get an official time :) Pumped for the game!! So you live in the South Loop? We actually just had our sales summit at the Hilton last week. First time there, but I can't imagine that place is very cheap. It's pretty choice inside.

Last edited:
I figured, and I'm not one for message board drama!

I live at 13th & Mich, love the neighborhood and it really comes to life when there is something going on at Soldier. Just happy to have the hawks playing at Soldier, I was out of town last time they played there.

I have a parking pass available for the game at soldier if interested. Its the south lot I will be in iowa city this weekend if Interested.

I actually have a disaster recovery center at the building north of Hyatt McCormick.. so I have a free parking spot there at all times :)

Got our tickets today. Section 232, Row 6, Seats 1-8

I live in LP and the Big City Tap is a great Iowa bar, but kind of far if you are planning on attending game. Looking forward too Hawks back in Chicago!!!

There are very few decent hotels outside of downtown. You are best off staying down there. Take the Red Line train to Addison for the game on Friday. Merkles is a great Hawkeye bar and right down Clark St. from Wrigley. Look for Russ, Dave or Pete behind the bar - they will take care of you. There will be shuttle bus service on Saturday to the game from the Grant Park garage to the stadium. Might be better off taking a cab as it will not be expensive. If you are not going to the game on Friday you might want to consider taking the Chicago Architectural boat tour (book in advance) and/or going to the top of the John Hancock bldg to get a great view of the city. You can either go up to the observation deck or have a drink on the 95th floor bar. It's pricey but the view is worth it.

Go to wrigleyville and party all day. I believe roadhouse 66 is having an all inclusive deal starting a 8pm Friday, so go there and continue to party. get up early on Saturday, head to tailgate or to a bar and start getting after it again. then kickoff for the 2012 hawks. that's my weekend in Chicago.

Last time I was there, parking wasn't an issue. We parked somewhere close, and there were free buses to Soldier Field.

Does anyone know exactly how the parking will be handled this year?

Latest posts