Hawkeye Defense Absent Again in Loss at Nebraska

There's always the Because I actually watched the game guy. Yeah we really made a bad offensive team work hard to put up a hundred on us haha!

There are thousands of equations that add up to 98. Just because the sum is the same does not mean the equation is identical. This was not the same performance as others. I stand by that the effort was better and the footwork was better and the contests were better. Was it good enough? Obviously not. Is it improvement? Yes.

Also Nebraska is 4th in the B1G and a much better offensive team then you claim.

There are thousands of equations that add up to 98. Just because the sum is the same does not mean the equation is identical. This was not the same performance as others. I stand by that the effort was better and the footwork was better and the contests were better. Was it good enough? Obviously not. Is it improvement? Yes.

Also Nebraska is 4th in the B1G and a much better offensive team then you claim.

Nebraska is the 89th best offensive team in the country. To compare Wisconsin is 98th. Nebraska is a bad offensive team. There is a reason they set records last night.

Nebraska is the 89th best offensive team in the country. To compare Wisconsin is 98th. Nebraska is a bad offensive team. There is a reason they set records last night.

You really should look at who Nebraska has played. They have played all the best defensive teams in the B1G. They played Kansas, St Johns and Creighton in the non con. I have not watched Nebraska up until this game, but after watching last night it is quite obvious that they were the 4th best offense that we have played to date.

I'm sure that your narrow insight of an 89th ranked offense is some condemning factor for you, but I am not fooled. I know very well that there are 347 D1 college basketball teams and a large number of tiny schools score alot of points on other tiny schools. End result those high scoring mid majors end up higher on the list of offensive ranking. I suppose in a 2 dimensional world that would actually make them better.

You really should look at who Nebraska has played. They have played all the best defensive teams in the B1G. They played Kansas, St Johns and Creighton in the non con. I have not watched Nebraska up until this game, but after watching last night it is quite obvious that they were the 4th best offense that we have played to date.

I'm sure that your narrow insight of an 89th ranked offense is some condemning factor for you, but I am not fooled. I know very well that there are 347 D1 college basketball teams and a large number of tiny schools score alot of points on other tiny schools. End result those high scoring mid majors end up higher on the list of offensive ranking. I suppose in a 2 dimensional world that would actually make them better.

They are 89th and that number is adjusted by who they play and tempo not just their scoring total so everything you said is wrong.

They are 89th and that number is adjusted by who they play and tempo not just their scoring total so everything you said is wrong.

Please provide the link so that I may go review the list and give you the names of the teams that are higher who have no business being so.

I don't know if it's that our defense has been so bad that I began looking for more contested jumpers while watching or what but I tend to agree with PC. They still gave up quite a few open shots but I noticed a lot more contested jumpers last night.

On a related note, I looked up the Kenpom defensive efficiency rankings to see where Iowa is at compared the the rest of the conference. As most could guess, it's not pretty.

Iowa is last in the Big Ten ranked 236th nationally while the next closest is Minnesota ranked 114th. That's a huge gap...

Fran has had some good defensive teams but these last two have struggled, this year being the worse of his tenure. Below is Iowa's defensive efficiency rank for each season under Fran.

2011 - 56th
2012 - 205th
2013 - 24th
2014 - 77th
2015 - 34th
2016 - 30th
2017 - 123rd
2018 - 236th* - 9 guaranteed games left to improve.

This. I defended FM in the past basically with these numbers. The last 2 years they have been flat out bad defensively. There isn’t a metric on planet Earth that will tell you otherwise.

How's that list coming along? :rolleyes:

Didn't see the link until now, but I'm glad you followed up. Here is my list of mid majors beating up on mid majors and having an inflated Adj O rating.

St Mary's 4th
Nevada 14th
Vermont 21st
Murray St 25th
Toledo 28th
Butler 31st
Davidson 33rd
SMU 39th
William and Mary 45th
UC Santa Barbara 49th
Western Kentucky 50th
Utah Valley 51st
UNLV 54th
Buffalo 55th
UAB 56th
San Diego St 58th
Louisiana Lafayette 59th
Houston 61st
Fresno St 64th
Mercer 67th
Oakland 68th
Dayton 69th
Belmont 70th
Iona 72nd
Niagara 76th
Bucknell 80th
New Mexico 81st
Se Missouri St 84th
East Tennessee 85th
Portland St 86th
Loyola Chicago 87th

All 31 of these teams have better offenses then Nebraska? Give me a break dude.

Didn't see the link until now, but I'm glad you followed up. Here is my list of mid majors beating up on mid majors and having an inflated Adj O rating.

St Mary's 4th
Nevada 14th
Vermont 21st
Murray St 25th
Toledo 28th
Butler 31st
Davidson 33rd
SMU 39th
William and Mary 45th
UC Santa Barbara 49th
Western Kentucky 50th
Utah Valley 51st
UNLV 54th
Buffalo 55th
UAB 56th
San Diego St 58th
Louisiana Lafayette 59th
Houston 61st
Fresno St 64th
Mercer 67th
Oakland 68th
Dayton 69th
Belmont 70th
Iona 72nd
Niagara 76th
Bucknell 80th
New Mexico 81st
Se Missouri St 84th
East Tennessee 85th
Portland St 86th
Loyola Chicago 87th

To answer your question yes. All those numbers are adjusted by their strength of schedule. Oklahoma leads the nation in points per game but is the 17th best offensive team in the country. Portland State which you listed averages the 4th most points per game in the nation but is the 86th best team offensive team in the country. Nebraska was shooting 32% from three in conference play going into the game Saturday night. That was the most points they've ever scored in a conference game. You already said you hadn't seen Nebraska play until the game Saturday which explains why you don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe it's just me but I find it really funny the Fran supporters just decided this year KenPom is wrong after all the years of using his numbers when things were good.

To answer your question yes. All those numbers are adjusted by their strength of schedule. Oklahoma leads the nation in points per game but is the 17th best offensive team in the country. Portland State which you listed averages the 4th most points per game in the nation but is the 86th best team offensive team in the country. Nebraska was shooting 32% from three in conference play going into the game Saturday night. That was the most points they've ever scored in a conference game. You already said you hadn't seen Nebraska play until the game Saturday which explains why you don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe it's just me but I find it really funny the Fran supporters just decided this year KenPom is wrong after all the years of using his numbers when things were good.

I'm not a Fran supporter. I'm done with him as most fans are now. My point still remains Nebraska is not a "bad offense" by any means. They are a competent group and can be dangerous. They may have had thier best game against us as many of our opponents have had the privilege, but they are still better then anyone else we have played other than Purdue, OSU, Michigan. They are the 4th best offense we have seen to date like I said. Quite possibly better than Michigan, but I have seen Michigan play better games then they did against us.

I'm not a Fran supporter. I'm done with him as most fans are now. My point still remains Nebraska is not a "bad offense" by any means. They are a competent group and can be dangerous. They may have had thier best game against us as many of our opponents have had the privilege, but they are still better then anyone else we have played other than Purdue, OSU, Michigan. They are the 4th best offense we have seen to date like I said. Quite possibly better than Michigan, but I have seen Michigan play better games then they did against us.

Are you messing with me? You really think Nebraska is better offensively than Maryland, Virginia Tech and maybe Michigan? Haha! Even Penn State is better offensively than Nebraska!

Agreed. Stats don't always tell he whole tale.

St Mary's 4th
Nevada 14th
Vermont 21st
Murray St 25th
Toledo 28th
Butler 31st
Davidson 33rd
SMU 39th
William and Mary 45th
UC Santa Barbara 49th
Western Kentucky 50th
Utah Valley 51st
UNLV 54th
Buffalo 55th
UAB 56th
San Diego St 58th
Louisiana Lafayette 59th
Houston 61st
Fresno St 64th
Mercer 67th
Oakland 68th
Dayton 69th
Belmont 70th
Iona 72nd
Niagara 76th
Bucknell 80th
New Mexico 81st
Se Missouri St 84th
East Tennessee 85th
Portland St 86th
Loyola Chicago 87th

May I also ask why you left on Gonzaga, South Dakota State and Rhode Island off this list?

May I also ask why you left on Gonzaga, South Dakota State and Rhode Island off this list?

I left Gonzaga off because they are...well Gonzaga.

I left Rhode Island off because I think they are actually a pretty good offense and they have played a pretty tough schedule.

I simply missed South Dakota St.

And yes. I am serious. I fully believe Nebraska's offense is better than Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Penn St. Possibly better than Michigan since they rolled Michigan up by 20 points in their head to head. Scoring 4 more points then we did against Michigan and we are the 40th ranked adjusted offense on Kenpom.

I left Gonzaga off because they are...well Gonzaga.

I left Rhode Island off because I think they are actually a pretty good offense and they have played a pretty tough schedule.

I simply missed South Dakota St.

And yes. I am serious. I fully believe Nebraska's offense is better than Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Penn St. Possibly better than Michigan since they rolled Michigan up by 20 points in their head to head. Scoring 4 more points then we did against Michigan and we are the 40th ranked adjusted offense on Kenpom.

You left off Gonzaga because they are Gonzaga but included Saint Mary's who beat them at their place and is ranked ahead of them? Odd. Virginia Tech is a top 25 offense but you think Nebraska is better than them offensively because you watched them hit open three's against us and you have admitted only watched them play that one time this season. Haha!

Latest posts