Hawkeye Combine Numbers

Been watching some of the NFL combine with the OL. Now I can see why the NFL sucks so bad. These drills for the OL are plain stupid. The dumbest I have ever seen in my life.

NFL is a complete joke..... Football is not that hard, it's blocking and tackling.

There are a lot of things that go into making a great lineman. Those drills evaluate the players in those areas. Footwork, lateral quickness, etc. are every bit as important as brute strength.

There are a lot of things that go into making a great lineman. Those drills evaluate the players in those areas. Footwork, lateral quickness, etc. are every bit as important as brute strength.

I applaude you for not using one bit of sarcasm in replying to that post. It must have been tough...

Saw Ponder run a 4.68 ...fast for a qb. Did not catch Newton's time....how did he do?
Ricky did not hurt himself with that time.

Ricky and Cam both just went 0/3 on a 10-15 yd down and out.

But you don't need to see whether the passes were completed. You need to see that the passes were right where you want them on target. Out routes are about timing and arm strength. That's what the scouts are looking for. Also the timing on the dropbacks.

From what I've seen so far, Vandervelde has done well athletically, ran a good 40 and had a really good vertical.
Stanzi ran a decent, pocket passer type 40, and has gotten praise from the announcers on his throws.
It does not appear to be Reisner's weekend having finished at or near the bottom in all the TE events.

But you don't need to see whether the passes were completed. You need to see that the passes were right where you want them on target. Out routes are about timing and arm strength. That's what the scouts are looking for. Also the timing on the dropbacks.

based on what you say, i would have questions about Cam's arm strength...he did a hop-skip towards the sidelines (into the throw) each time...and 2/3 throws looped out-of-bounds.

based on what you say, i would have questions about Cam's arm strength...he did a hop-skip towards the sidelines (into the throw) each time...and 2/3 throws looped out-of-bounds.

Good eye and that's exactly what I was implying. Stanzi is very smooth and consistent in his dropbacks while Newton seems to have happy feet which affects his timing and therefore accuracy. All the love for Cam is because he is a freak athlete for QB at the college level. Will that translate to the NFL? Is he willing to be first one in, last one out? Also there are obvious personality issues in the eyes of the scouts, but do they feel they can corral him and groom him into a professional? That is the big question.

Ya, I thought Doyle was supposed to be the best. You need that chest strength for blocking.

No you don't.

Football, like most sports, is how your body leverages the ground.

Bench press is the most overrated test of football strength out there.

All power comes from the legs, hips and core.

No you don't.

Football, like most sports, is how your body leverages the ground.

Bench press is the most overrated test of football strength out there.

All power comes from the legs, hips and core.

Bench press is pretty important for pass blocking. In pass protection, you pop your opponent to slow him down, and move your feet to maintain position. So chest strength is important for a lineman. Everyone else, not so much.

Stanzi looked upset after a few of this throws earlier this morning....but they were on par with everyone else. Cam and Mallet were getting some knocks for their interview skills. Mallet was dodging questions about drug use and Cam was talking about himself in the 3rd person, again.

Stanzi seems to be socializing with the combine staff and other participants more so than some of the other qb's...just didn't look fully comfortable during the early drills.

Latest posts