Hawk Talk

While Kurt's "I didn't hear any booing, but did hear cheering at the end" claim was super lame, I did liek this:

Caller: I don’t mean to be too critical . . . not fast, athletic, no pass rush, no blitz, not good QB, no innovative offense . . . Don’t seem to be getting better. Not good at recruiting. Not good WR. Future doesn’t look bright.

KF: Hope you have a better day tomorrow. You look at it differently than we do. I hope we can put a smile on your face in weeks and years.

I have always been a huge Ferentz guy...but that game Saturday was inexcusable...I can't defend him when he let JVB start that 4th quarter...one of the worst football decisions I have seen made in a long time. Just unreal, I was dumbfounded....I hope Kirk gets it turned around...but as of now he has the dreaded...

​HAWKFORCE VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE

I'm in no way defending KF, but I think the JVB discussion depends on perspective. If Kirk's opinion is that Vandy is absolutely our best QB, then maybe his perspective is "leave him in there and get more reps" hoping the light comes on.

While Kurt's "I didn't hear any booing, but did hear cheering at the end" claim was super lame, I did liek this:

Caller: I don’t mean to be too critical . . . not fast, athletic, no pass rush, no blitz, not good QB, no innovative offense . . . Don’t seem to be getting better. Not good at recruiting. Not good WR. Future doesn’t look bright.

KF: Hope you have a better day tomorrow. You look at it differently than we do. I hope we can put a smile on your face in weeks and years.

PLS SHOP TEH GRINNING TROLL FACE ONTO FERRETS'S BODY AND GIVE LE IMAGE TO ME TO USE CONSTANTLY

I'm in no way defending KF, but I think the JVB discussion depends on perspective. If Kirk's opinion is that Vandy is absolutely our best QB, then maybe his perspective is "leave him in there and get more reps" hoping the light comes on.

I think that's besides the point. Most people are simply upset that in a 30+ point blowout loss, that KF still won't put in the backup, if for no other reason to get him some actual live game experience. I don't see many people suggesting that Rudock or whoever will come in and light things up - they just want to see him get a bit of experience.

I understand what you're saying about letting someone work their way through a slump, but I also tend to believe that if something gets in your head, that sometimes the best thing is to step away from it for a bit. Maybe a couple series from the sidelines wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world for JVB, either. Just a theory, anyway.

SOOOOON!

LOUD NOISES!

soon%20(1).jpg

Having presided over these message boards as well as having a daily sports talk show along with Soundoff in 2008, it's very similar.

When Iowa was 3-3 in that season, the 'Fire Ferentz' crowd was out and in full effect on the boards and phones. Perhaps you don't remember, but I do. Iowa was 5-4 that year after losing on a late FG at ILL. The home win against then #3 PSU was a big corner turner and basically what beat back the boo birds and doubters.

I'm thinking the message boards and sound-off phones are a pretty finite public. Mostly because they're only talking to other fans or you and Zabel as hosts, making it easy to anonomously express their anger / disgust / criticism. The disgust and contempt seems a lot more intense, to the point that, while I haven't listened to Hawk Talk in a long time because it was always the same, mostly Pollyanna callers, I can't recall such brazen comments directly to The Corporal.
The fan reaction also seems more "general" public pervasive this time. While a loss always brought out more negative reaction and criticism, it tended to subside by about Wednesday and, even during the immediate wave, there seemed to be a little bit of positive, apologist balance. I don't sense that so much this time around. That makes me wonder if the silent lurkers and listeners are simply in agreement with the majority of what they are reading and hearing.
Question, Jon. What are you hearing "behind the scenes", from the money-people who really count?

One of the big differences this time around vs 2008 is what took place in 2010. Had that 7-5 regular season not occurred and say Iowa went 10-2 that year, things wouldn't be this bad right now. The 2010 season keeps on haunting and will until/if they climb the mountain again.
I have to agree with this. While I had begun to sour on KF for the numerous games that were directly impacted by risk-aversive / play-not-to-lose philosophy, personnel decisions, lack of schematic and even situational adjustments to maximize strength / exploit opponents' weakness going back to 2006, 2010 turned it to anger over the lack of preparedness to seize opportunities and / or avoid being seized.

One very big difference between this year and 2008; Iowa never got smoked in any of their four losses that year. But as it relates to heat on Kirk? Very similar and there was a LOT of it in 2008 up to the PSU game.
This is one major difference. There's a lot more, though. At least in 2008, KF recognized (albeit, he lost a game before acting on it) the need to go a different direction. JVB is even more inept than JC and KF is simply allowing the ship to sink without even attempting an alternative. It's not just limited to JVB -- the entire scheme of The Offensive prevents Iowa from even being competitive. As in 2008 with SG, your most reliable and consistently productive weapon is Weisman. He's lost and everything completely crashes. At least in 2008, you had competent QB play and leadership + a serviceable strategy + a really good defense that, at least gave Iowa a fighting chance. 2012, none of that exists, yet, there's simply been zero adaptation to maximize strengths and promote better execution, despite it being one of the promises to bank on through the coaching changes. All the poor coaching traits of KF are being completely exposed by the 2012 team and there's been zero attempt to adapt to try to mask them through 7 games and, by KF's comments, nothing will change.

Hawkeye Nation is being asked to simply accept the futility without even expoloring options when there are many reasonable ones available. That's the bottom line driver of such outspoken criticism this season.

Hawkeye Nation is being asked to simply accept the futility without even expoloring options when there are many reasonable ones available. That's the bottom line driver of such outspoken criticism this season.

You'll take the futility either way. You have no choice. You have a choice on how to react to it. Getting angry only hurts you, not Kurt, so I don't see the point in it.s

As many know I'm a KF guy. That said, my disappointment lies at the fact that to the public eye there is no attempt to get beyond Vandy's struggles. I'm a firm believer that boviously James is the better QB which is why we haven't seen Rudock. That said regardless of what the backup looks like when the starter looks this lost after 7 games, it's at least time to take a look at that backup with meaningful reps.

I realize that I'm sure he and GD are doing whatever they can behind closed doors to figure this out, but it infuriates me that outside of Fort Kinnick this has become a national joke, because our passing game is horrendous and nothing appears to change.

Jon, this year is very different. People are tired of excuses and mind blowing coaching decisions. Most fans cannot believe that every other program in the country could hold their coach to the fire but not Iowa. Iowa's coach acts like he is the smartest man but makes some of the worst decisions on game day. I do believe that most people see the built in excuses that are coming over the next few years and are tired of KF living off 10 years ago.

Seems to be a great dad and a good person but has huge faults when it comes to running a major corporation. (Football Program)

1) We won an Orange Bowl two years ago.
2) Iowa football as a corporations has had a wildly successfull 13 years.
3) I dont think you have the requisit equipment upstairs to have your mind blown.

Most of you are crazy... we have one of the best coaches in the country. Tons of success in the BIG. Get over it... now.

It goes to show what happens when high expectations followed by poor play meet with excessive vicarious attachment.

Pretty much everyone that knows football knew what was in store this year and didnt have high expectations. That said, IMO, The total lack of effort by the entire team, including coaches was inexcusable. Its not the first time its happened and it most likely wont be the last.

I was...a KFz guy. But here's why I'm no longer:

The program is clearly in a slide that started nearly 3 years ago (The season with lots of NFL talent that ended 7-5...a dropped pass away from 6-6). This is not a "down year"...it's year 3 of a clear trend.

The same patterns and mistakes repeat over and over. And in some cases are becoming more frequent

Ferentz shows no willingness to grow, change and move his program forward...particularly offensively. He's stuck in a bland, predictable (not just my opinion...our opponents themselves have said so) style of ball while other teams move forward.

In any other job...the above gets you fired, or at best put on notice. Why should Kirk Ferentz be any different? Especially when his pay is among the best in his profession.

I was...a KFz guy. But here's why I'm no longer:

The program is clearly in a slide that started nearly 3 years ago (The season with lots of NFL talent that ended 7-5...a dropped pass away from 6-6). This is not a "down year"...it's year 3 of a clear trend.

The same patterns and mistakes repeat over and over. And in some cases are becoming more frequent

Ferentz shows no willingness to grow, change and move his program forward...particularly offensively. He's stuck in a bland, predictable (not just my opinion...our opponents themselves have said so) style of ball while other teams move forward.

In any other job...the above gets you fired, or at best put on notice. Why should Kirk Ferentz be any different? Especially when his pay is among the best in his profession.

We have an AD who thought after the 2009 season signing KF until 2020 was good logical choice. How many programs in this country right now have there Coach signed until 2020??

Latest posts