Hawk Talk

How does this feel different than 2008 when we were 4-4 following the 2007 season of not making a bowl game? That is the last time I remember so many calling for KF to step down. At that point we were considered mediocre and at least one of our losses was solely blamed on KF not putting Stanzi back in the game (Pitt). I'm just curious if this is just a heat of moment gut feeling.

The last two seasons of craptastic mediocrity have intensified things a bit.

I don't have a problem that fans are a little more direct with Kirk than reporters are during post-game press conferences; however, calls like "I hope Cleveland calls because it is time for you to go" is a little overboard. On the flip side, being a head coach of a major program puts you in the spotlight and facing the criticism comes with the territory. Obviously, Kirk is not going to "open up" and tell "Bob from Ida Grove" that "we have lots of problems right now ..." In reality, other coaches face much more criticism than Kirk has faced -- from media and fans alike.

How does this feel different than 2008 when we were 4-4 following the 2007 season of not making a bowl game? That is the last time I remember so many calling for KF to step down. At that point we were considered mediocre and at least one of our losses was solely blamed on KF not putting Stanzi back in the game (Pitt). I'm just curious if this is just a heat of moment gut feeling.

Many are still in KF's corner. But a bad year this year and the same for next (very possible) will really get tensions high.

Very different. First off in 2008 we were never 4-4 and finished the season with a record 9-4 and won the Outback Bowl beating South Carolina.. We had a backup QB named Stanzi that took over for a struggling JC.. Iowa finished the season on a roll winning 6 of it's last 7.

Now you tell me how do you feel about 2013, knowing the unknown commidity at QB?

Very different. First off in 2008 we were never 4-4 and finished the season with a record 9-4 and won the Outback Bowl beating South Carolina.. We had a backup QB named Stanzi that took over for a struggling JC.. Iowa finished the season on a roll winning 6 of it's last 7.

Now you tell me how do you feel about 2013, knowing the unknown commidity at QB?

Having presided over these message boards as well as having a daily sports talk show along with Soundoff in 2008, it's very similar.

When Iowa was 3-3 in that season, the 'Fire Ferentz' crowd was out and in full effect on the boards and phones. Perhaps you don't remember, but I do. Iowa was 5-4 that year after losing on a late FG at ILL. The home win against then #3 PSU was a big corner turner and basically what beat back the boo birds and doubters.

One of the big differences this time around vs 2008 is what took place in 2010. Had that 7-5 regular season not occurred and say Iowa went 10-2 that year, things wouldn't be this bad right now. The 2010 season keeps on haunting and will until/if they climb the mountain again.

One very big difference between this year and 2008; Iowa never got smoked in any of their four losses that year. But as it relates to heat on Kirk? Very similar and there was a LOT of it in 2008 up to the PSU game.

Having presided over these message boards as well as having a daily sports talk show along with Soundoff in 2008, it's very similar.

When Iowa was 3-3 in that season, the 'Fire Ferentz' crowd was out and in full effect on the boards and phones. Perhaps you don't remember, but I do. Iowa was 5-4 that year after losing on a late FG at ILL. The home win against then #3 PSU was a big corner turner and basically what beat back the boo birds and doubters.

One of the big differences this time around vs 2008 is what took place in 2010. Had that 7-5 regular season not occurred and say Iowa went 10-2 that year, things wouldn't be this bad right now. The 2010 season keeps on haunting and will until/if they climb the mountain again.

One very big difference between this year and 2008; Iowa never got smoked in any of their four losses that year. But as it relates to heat on Kirk? Very similar and there was a LOT of it in 2008 up to the PSU game.

IMO it is very different. JC was struggling and Stanzi was playing and when he did played better than JC for the most part. The fact it took so long for KF to make the change ****** fans off. Fast-forward to 2012 JVB is struggling and we have know clue who where we stand for the future. I see it totally different..

Another difference is there wont be a psu game like in 08 to silence people.

So, what you're saying is that 2008 and 2012 are very different?

You are correct on the 4-4 record. I couldn't remember if we were 3-3 or 4-4. But the point being that starting off 3-0 only to lose 3 straight while there a QB controversy put a ton of heat on KF from the message board/call in crowd. My point is that I have not seen the message board lynch mob like this since the 2008 season. That season ended up pretty well. Not suggesting that this season will end the same, our schedule and this team are simply too difficult to predict how they will perform.

Jon, this year is very different. People are tired of excuses and mind blowing coaching decisions. Most fans cannot believe that every other program in the country could hold their coach to the fire but not Iowa. Iowa's coach acts like he is the smartest man but makes some of the worst decisions on game day. I do believe that most people see the built in excuses that are coming over the next few years and are tired of KF living off 10 years ago.

Seems to be a great dad and a good person but has huge faults when it comes to running a major corporation. (Football Program)

You are correct on the 4-4 record. I couldn't remember if we were 3-3 or 4-4. But the point being that starting off 3-0 only to lose 3 straight while there a QB controversy put a ton of heat on KF from the message board/call in crowd. My point is that I have not seen the message board lynch mob like this since the 2008 season. That season ended up pretty well. Not suggesting that this season will end the same, our schedule and this team are simply too difficult to predict how they will perform.

There is no QB controversy when you have seen 1 QB take every snap of every game.

I'm not listening to it but reading Morehouse's tweets. A couple of callers have ripped into Kirk.

"Caller: Who's QB coach? Vandenberg form is horrible?I sure hope the Cleveland Browns are buzzing your phone, cuz time for u to go."

--- I thought KF handled it well...just laughed at the guy with Cleveland Browns crack...so let me get this straight...the caller thinks that an NFL team could be calling him, therefore he must think KF is qualified to become 1 of 32 coaches (the coaching elite) in the NFL....but he's not good enough to be Iowa's coach?? what a tool............

p.s. Stephanie is my hero...............

I've been a huge supporter of KF through those challenging times you mention.

I hope I'm wrong but this feels very different...

I feel the same. During the bowlless season I supported the team, felt they could turn it around. I felt it was a challenge they could overcome. Maybe it had to do with the "stars" of the one class. But this feels like we are standing in quicksand.

Jon, this year is very different. People are tired of excuses and mind blowing coaching decisions. Most fans cannot believe that every other program in the country could hold their coach to the fire but not Iowa. Iowa's coach acts like he is the smartest man but makes some of the worst decisions on game day. I do believe that most people see the built in excuses that are coming over the next few years and are tired of KF living off 10 years ago.

Seems to be a great dad and a good person but has huge faults when it comes to running a major corporation. (Football Program)

When does KF act like he "is the smartest man?"

With our recent history in recruiting and player turnover, 2013 looks a lot like 2012. The concern is are we becoming a Purdue or Minnesota in football?

Callers like that, the people who boo - you really need to grow up and get some perspective on what's important in life. Control your ego & tempers - it's an adult thing.

Actually I think more of the booing is aimed at the coaches not the players. That's who I"m booing.

While fans don't know the Xs and Os like the coaches they know when they see bad football. Much like I don't need to know how a skunk degrades along the side of the road but I sure as hell know a bad smell when I smell one. Iowa football smells like it's going bad. Coaches are accountable folks PERIOD!

Things were ugly on the boards back in 2008. I remember that well. But in 2008, there WAS a QB controversy - people wanted Stanzi in the game over JC. They had seen Stanzi play some, and most people felt that he was the better QB. KF finally made the switch.

This year, KF is "sticking with our #1 guy no matter what", not even to get our backup some snaps in a blowout situation. As bad as the team played this past Saturday (which has people upset enough), I think people are primarily ticked off about the QB situation and KF's stubbornness to get some snaps to our #2. Once again: Iowa is the ONLY team out of 124 teams in the country to have not given their backup a single snap all year.

Latest posts