Has Uhlis become the PG the fans have been clamoring for?

NorthKCHawk

Since the dawn of the Fran era, fans have been disappointed in Fran's ability to recruit a "true" PG. The closest we have come was almost landing Uhlis' brother.

The last four or so games, Uhlis has demonstrated an ability to break down his opponent and effectively take the ball to the hoop. He has pushed the ball up the court with pace. He is a plus defender. And he has been an effective shooter, especially in the midrange. His FT shooting could use some work, and he needs to improve his assist to turnover ratio.

I fully understand that this is a small sample size, but much like Perkins last year, it feels as though he is coming on. If this trend continues, and he can score in the low double digits, have a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio, and continue to play tough D, will he become what many have complained has been lacking under Fran?

Yea he has been playing really well. When he decides to take it to the hoop he reads the defender and goes right to it indecisively. He can occasionally hit that 3 ball to, to keep a defender honest. So, he has the 3 that a defender has to respect, and he has a blow by move to offset that. He's coming on.

It's also the way he is scoring. He is getting to the hoop and creating space for midrange jump shots. He is quicker than I thought. And as Melrose noted, his 3 pointer is just good enough that you have to respect it. (Unlike Connor from 3 years ago when defenders would back into the paint and laugh. BTW, what the hell is up with that kid. Is it just not playing baseball that has raised his 3point average 12 percentage points??????????)

A triple threat point guard with vision can wreak serious havoc on a defense. I'd like to see Wisconsin's midgets stay with him now.

It's also the way he is scoring. He is getting to the hoop and creating space for midrange jump shots. He is quicker than I thought. And as Melrose noted, his 3 pointer is just good enough that you have to respect it. (Unlike Connor from 3 years ago when defenders would back into the paint and laugh. BTW, what the hell is up with that kid. Is it just not playing baseball that has raised his 3point average 12 percentage points??????????)
He had a hip issue, like Bohannon. He has had concussions, shoulder issues, general bumps and bruises from taking on tough defensive assignments. That stuff all affects your ability to shoot, especially when you have an unconventional shot to begin with.

How about we spell his last name right first: U-L-I-S.

Secondly, we are 2 games removed from him having 6 turnovers in a game. Everyone relax, he is playing really good ball right now, hopefully it continues.

Secondly, we are 2 games removed from him having 6 turnovers in a game. Everyone relax, he is playing really good ball right now, hopefully it continues.
It appears, for the time being, that he doesn't have to look over his shoulder for Bowen to replace him. That can make a big difference.

Have been watching Matt Gatens during time outs. Often he is seen in one-on-one conversations with Tony Perkins, Ahron Ulis, and Payton Sandfort. Either by direction or on his own, I believe he has taken on responsibility for development of the guards. By the way, development of the guards was a principal duty while on the Auburn basketball staff. While the game is in progress he sits beside Fran. In my opinion an outstanding addition to coaching staff.

I have said it before. I cannot even imagine this team if CMAC had not returned for a 6th year. His value is beyond belief.

A major gripe on this board about our PG’s was their inability to play good D against BT PG’s. So much for that complaint. Perkins, Ulis, Sanford, and Bowen are kicking ass as they harass opponents PG’s. NW has some really good, offensive skilled PG’s. They hurt us early, for sure. But, Perkins wore Boiey (sp?) down and Ulis irritates the hell out of PG’s. Bowen will get there.

All kinds of attention paid to Sandfort’s 3 point shooting. OK. Fine. Defense, passing/assist success, rebounding, to the hoop, 2 point success and free throws. Wow. If his younger bro is half as good, yahoo!

Glad to see Fry with a big dish of boiled crow on his plate.

Ulis has been better recently I'll say that. He's probably had more not so good games then good. But hey the improvement recently has been legit and needed. Can he continue this and maintain it into March? It'd sure be nice

Now that he can actually shoot the ball, that dramatically changes his value package.
And finish at the rim. Remember how out of control he was even a month ago? Was it the Indiana game where he threw a wild lane shot in the general direction of the basket at the end of the half, then Fran gave him a seat the rest of the night?

Possibly, but I think it's just more him being in the system all this time now with all the reps and all the games. He just had to come into his own and settle down a bit. I think him being a veteran kind of helps with his consistency.

Ok glass half empty guy.

All we are saying is that he has been playing well and we are acknowledging what he does well and the attributes he brings. Nobody is anointing him Magic Johnson at this point. Nothing wrong with that.

It's almost like your wishing he'd have more TO's so you can prove this post.

Have been watching Matt Gatens during time outs. Often he is seen in one-on-one conversations with Tony Perkins, Ahron Ulis, and Payton Sandfort. Either by direction or on his own, I believe he has taken on responsibility for development of the guards. By the way, development of the guards was a principal duty while on the Auburn basketball staff. While the game is in progress he sits beside Fran. In my opinion an outstanding addition to coaching staff.

Yea, I think he's going to be better than I anticipated. He seems to bring a lot.

A major gripe on this board about our PG’s was their inability to play good D against BT PG’s. So much for that complaint. Perkins, Ulis, Sanford, and Bowen are kicking ass as they harass opponents PG’s. NW has some really good, offensive skilled PG’s. They hurt us early, for sure. But, Perkins wore Boiey (sp?) down and Ulis irritates the hell out of PG’s. Bowen will get there.

All kinds of attention paid to Sandfort’s 3 point shooting. OK. Fine. Defense, passing/assist success, rebounding, to the hoop, 2 point success and free throws. Wow. If his younger bro is half as good, yahoo!

Glad to see Fry with a big dish of boiled crow on his plate.

I've always said this is the biggest need for the PG position that Iowa had been lacking. I think this is so much more important that getting that guy that can "drive to the bucket". We had to have guys slow down & neutralize the other teams best or quickest guards.

He played a lot of minutes in that game against MSU guards who beat the shit out of you. That was one of his best games as a Hawkeye IMO.

Latest posts