Has the program lost momentum?

Linesetter

It seems like after the hawks tourney run last year that the program was poised to start putting itself into position for top half conference finishes every year under Fran. It looked like the hawks were on their way up and programs like Wisconsin/OSU were on their way down.

Fast forward to the present and this season looks almost identical to last year. Couple of good wins but mostly haven't been able to win the big games at the end.

i believe Fran will turn it around but 11-7 or 10-8 seems like a disappointment to me

11-20
18-17 NIT
25-13 NIT
19-8 with 4 to go, ranked in the top 25 90% of the year and firmly in the dance...

you tell me. Seriously, is the same person posting this stuff over and over?

This was really shaping up to be a make or break year, unfortunately it looks like we just sat there and didn't do either. Not pumped about the recruiting outlook. Think we'll be about the same the next 2 years but the rest of the league will get better again and we'll be slugging it out with Nebby and MN for 6th or 7th place and back to the bubble as we won't have near as much pre-season hype as this season so will have a lower starting position.

Quite the opposite OP. The Iowa Program is great position right now and IMO is gaining momentum.. I have nothing to complain about here.

As for what is happening on the court, IMO Fran has to shore somethings up and if that happens LOOK OUT!!

I guess I just assumed after the NIT run that Top 2-5 in the Big 10 and landing some higher end recruits was a goal within reach.

all of that is still possible I suppose

This board is a miserable place to be around. Iowa is finally back to being a player in hoops and NO one can enjoy it cause it's not good enough.

IMO, no, the program has not lost momentum. It is still on upward trend, looking at probably 10, maybe 11 conference wins. Which would continue the upward climb in terms of BT wins (4, 8, 9, ?) in each of Fran's 4 seasons.

Probable NCAA tournament bid barring a Hawkeyenation forum after loss type meltdown. Which is huge progress. Iowa should win at least 2 games and maybe another 1 or 2 in the BTT. The program is lightyears ahead of where it was when Fran took over and Fran seems to be adding solid recruits and his players appear to like him.

Now this year's team, has lost some momentum. Hard to get a lot of momentum going when your best win streak can't exceed 2. Since hitting #10 in the polls a couple months ago, they've played about .500 basketball. So IMO, Team = lost momentum, program = no, still going up.

11-20
18-17 NIT
25-13 NIT
19-8 with 4 to go, ranked in the top 25 90% of the year and firmly in the dance...

you tell me. Seriously, is the same person posting this stuff over and over?

^^^ I think we need to keep this in mind. ^^^

When talking about "program", you have to look at the big picture, not just the last couple games. The program has positive momentum.

I think this particular SEASON (not program) has lost some momentum as of late, but things can easily swing back the other way again. 4 regular season games to go and a Big Ten Tournament. What if Iowa wins 3 or 4 out of the final 4 games? And makes a BTT run? Or better yet, wins the BTT? Momentum will most certainly be back.

Then there's the NCAA tournament to think about. A lot can happen there, too. It'll be easier to make some noise there if Iowa finishes strong and gets a Top 6 seed, though.

It seems like after the hawks tourney run last year that the program was poised to start putting itself into position for top half conference finishes every year under Fran. It looked like the hawks were on their way up and programs like Wisconsin/OSU were on their way down.

Fast forward to the present and this season looks almost identical to last year. Couple of good wins but mostly haven't been able to win the big games at the end.

i believe Fran will turn it around but 11-7 or 10-8 seems like a disappointment to me

Someone else posted the following thought in another thread and it is very true. It is a lot easier to go from bad to good than it is to go from good to great.

And who thought Wisky and OSU were trending down? The B1G is loaded and with the coaches in this league it isnt going to get any easier. The program is in good hands.

They have lost a ton of momentum and I say they end up finishing 2-2 and barely make the tourney. They are going from being ranked in the top fifteen to dropping out. If that isn't losing momentum than I don't know what is.

And who thought Wisky and OSU were trending down? The B1G is loaded and with the coaches in this league it isnt going to get any easier. The program is in good hands.

I am guilty of thinking that, particularly about Wisky. They lost their entire front court and they were lucky to beat us in double OT in Madison last year

osu lost their only big scoring threat in Thomas last year

I am guilty of thinking that, particularly about Wisky. They lost their entire front court and they were lucky to beat us in double OT in Madison last year

Wisky loses players every year and never sees much of a dropoff. They have finished in the Top 4 the last 500 years in the B1G.

What from OSU under Matta has ever made you think they will see a significant drop off?

Just because Iowa is getting better doesnt mean the rest of the league will be getting worse.

If Iowa was a stock, the price has definitely fallen. If Iowa loses out last 4 regular season games, stock could be falling faster than the Great Depression for this team. Hopefully the team will man up and defend the home court at the very least. It would be nice to get one of these away games in the bag as well (either at IU or MSU).

Iowa as a program has risen since the day Fran stepped on campus and continues to, we lost back to back games for the first time this season. If Hawkeyenation's message board was a stock, I wouldn't put too much of an investment in a large portion of it's posters who are looking at things with absolutely no perspective what so ever.

No. This team is paper thin close to being an elite team in the country. The Big 10 is a grind. Wisconsin went through it, they lost to NW at home for god sakes. Theyre back on track. Ohio State when through it lost at home to Penn State, theyre back on track. Michigan State has gone through it lost at home to Nebraska, Michigan has too. There isnt a single team in the top 5 of this conference that hasnt had a bad streak this season within the conference. Hopefully Iowa stops the bleeding tomorrow night in Bloomington. Lets see how they respond. Hopefully Iowa can put it together when it really counts, March.

I have two words for you. N O !!!!!

This board is a miserable place to be around. Iowa is finally back to being a player in hoops and NO one can enjoy it cause it's not good enough.
I hate to admit it, but after the whisky loss I knew it would be a meltdown atmosphere, and I stayed away for 24 hrs. I checked in to find out I was correct. Then came this loss. I almost dont want to read these thread s until BTT time. The only good thing about this latent loss is that now all of the bandwagon fans can peel off and go back about their business.

The problem is that I don't know if us fanatic types are all that much better. The doom and gloom is thick. We are still good and still better than last year. Sh*t happens. North Carolina hasn't really been ranked all year and they are a blue blood program, for perspective.

Any one who is fed up with the program or team or fran, don't watch. Try to find an old recorded game from the lick ball era. Have fun. Maybe that will help y'all shed the negativity.

the volume of fail in this thread is ridiculous

answer this question in april

address it again on nov signing day 2014

all that matters is making the ncaa, winning at least one game, and then getting some quality commits

check off those boxes and the long term momentum is building

Last edited: