Has Drew Brees Played His Last NFL Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fryowa

Administrator
I don’t see the guy surviving this. He’s going to have teammates who refuse to set foot in the field with him, and probably some opposing players as well.

Before anyone says the idea is ridiculous, lest I remind you of the unrivaled, unmatched, undisputed year of absurdity you are living in right now, none other than good old two oh two oh. If I woke up tomorrow and the news said there was an alien invasion and Donald Trump had been replaced by Sally Jesse Raphael in an overnight coup I’d absolutely believe it.

Bill Romanowski has been accused of being overtly racist (not just insensitive, but usage of slurs and actual targeted behavior) by multiple people since he was still playing, and is still allowed in NFL circles. It'll be a big story for a while, and Brees will rightfully take his lumps for it, but he'll survive.

This year is beginning to get compared to 1968, and there was even a pandemic that year as well. The Hong Kong flu simply got overshadowed by the assassinations, political and social upheaval, all the rest.

I was a toddler that year so have only read and heard about it from history sources. The difference is technology and social media has made the whole world smaller and made access to information quicker than in 1968.

That's a perfect statement . I'm so glad he put in there that he's not the enemy. Reading the comments showed me that I have changed some over the last week because I read the "apologize for what" comments differently. I've always considered myself a little right of center politically, but I'm realizing more that the exact right spot to be is right in the middle on most everything. When 50% of the country is right and 50% is left, that means either both sides have a point or 50% of people are straight up wrong. The latter seems very unlikely.

We're walking down some pretty dangerous territory where NO diversity of thought or experience is allowed. If people are looking for a fast way to completely turn off those that want to understand white privilege more or systemic racism more....that aren't the ones that have outright hatred in their heart.....then shouting them down, cursing them down, shaming them is the way to do it.

I keep hearing that "communication is key". I couldn't disagree more. In this day and age, communication just means the ability to talk over someone, to curse them down, to get into a dick measuring contest. What is going to be key to get change to occur is CONNECTION. If we can't connect, on a basic human level, no amount of talking is going to do a damn bit of good.

We're walking down some pretty dangerous territory where NO diversity of thought or experience is allowed. If people are looking for a fast way to completely turn off those that want to understand white privilege more or systemic racism more....that aren't the ones that have outright hatred in their heart.....then shouting them down, cursing them down, shaming them is the way to do it.

I keep hearing that "communication is key". I couldn't disagree more. In this day and age, communication just means the ability to talk over someone, to curse them down, to get into a dick measuring contest. What is going to be key to get change to occur is CONNECTION. If we can't connect, on a basic human level, no amount of talking is going to do a damn bit of good.

My wife is from Japan. Her parents are in their 80's and lived through Tojo taking the country over. She is extremely well-versed in history. She said something along these lines last night: "I never could understand how groupthink could take a country over, but in the last week, it has become totally clear to me."

I agree, Connecting starts with listening.

Peggy McIntosh's original white privilege piece is an important read; it was posted here with comments from McIntosh regarding how to facilitate a discussion on this topic. A couple points that I think are noteable:

My work is not about blame, shame, guilt, or whether one is a "nice person." It's about observing, realizing, thinking systemically and personally. It is about seeing privilege, the "up-side" of oppression and discrimination. It is about unearned advantage, which can also be described as exemption from discrimination.

Urge participants to avoid self righteousness and preaching to family and friends about privilege, especially if it is something they have just discovered themselves. Explain the word "systemic." Help participants or students to think about what it is to see society systemically, and structurally, rather than only in terms of individuals making individual choices.
The concept of "white privelege" is used by a bludgeon by too many to demonstrate their moral superiority over other people. This causes those "morally inferior" people to completely close their minds to the idea.

That's a perfect statement . I'm so glad he put in there that he's not the enemy. Reading the comments showed me that I have changed some over the last week because I read the "apologize for what" comments differently. I've always considered myself a little right of center politically, but I'm realizing more that the exact right spot to be is right in the middle on most everything. When 50% of the country is right and 50% is left, that means either both sides have a point or 50% of people are straight up wrong. The latter seems very unlikely.

Yeah and unfortunately he doesn't get to decide if he is that or not. That had been decided for him last night. How fast they change their minds again is anybodys guess. If you are a white significant athlete you're better off just staying quiet. Stepping on a landmine is inevitable. I saw Ellen was getting roasted. Ellen of all people because in a statement she made she used people of color instead of black... I mean geesh. If liberal lesbian women that speak out and donate millions of dollars to all sorts of causes can't get a pass....

What's being done to Brees right now is just flat out bullshit....let's just call a spade a spade. Brees has done more for the black community, particularly in New Orleans, than every single person who is coming after him on Twitter and other social media outlets right now. It's flat out disgusting.

What we're now starting to learn is this isn't about George Floyd, or systemic racism, or police brutality....this is about an agenda to drown out anyone and everyone who doesn't think, talk, and act in lockstep with a certain agenda.

I ain't down with that at all.

Yeah and unfortunately he doesn't get to decide if he is that or not. That had been decided for him last night. How fast they change their minds again is anybodys guess. If you are a white significant athlete you're better off just staying quiet. Stepping on a landmine is inevitable. I saw Ellen was getting roasted. Ellen of all people because in a statement she made she used people of color instead of black... I mean geesh. If liberal lesbian women that speak out and donate millions of dollars to all sorts of causes can't get a pass....
Staying quiet isn't an option either. I've seen on twitter people calling out famous people saying "your silence is deafening". Social media + cancel culture = no chance.

Staying quiet isn't an option either. I've seen on twitter people calling out famous people saying "your silence is deafening". Social media + cancel culture = no chance.
True but it's still the safest option. Because as soon as someone does trip up over their own words the ones that are quiet are just passed over. Getting called out on twitter is one thing. Some organized deal to boycott your sponsers so they drop you and attempting to make your life a living hell all the way around are different things.

Lord knows we don’t need politics on this board but the issue with his statement is he assumes kneeling is a sign of disrespect, while he may take it as such you have to get into the mind of the people doing it to know.

Furthermore, the only real rules on the flag are the Flag Code which mostly apply in DC and to the military but it says nothing about kneeling and in fact does say the flag should not be worn or used in advertising.

What's being done to Brees right now is just flat out bullshit....let's just call a spade a spade. Brees has done more for the black community, particularly in New Orleans, than every single person who is coming after him on Twitter and other social media outlets right now. It's flat out disgusting.

What we're now starting to learn is this isn't about George Floyd, or systemic racism, or police brutality....this is about an agenda to drown out anyone and everyone who doesn't think, talk, and act in lockstep with a certain agenda.

I ain't down with that at all.
You're right that there is an agenda to drown people out. There is also no doubt some people are doing it for good. Then there are some doing it like people did in school where you tear someone down to make yourself feel better.

You're right that there is an agenda to drown people out. There is also no doubt some people are doing it for good. Then there are some doing it like people did in school where you tear someone down to make yourself feel better.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing "good" about taking an ally in the cause against racism, who has a multi year track record of outreach, financial support, and solidarity.....and publicly shaming him, threatening to boycott his sponsors, and making personal attacks against him.

Like I said, are we wanting to come together or not?

True but it's still the safest option. Because as soon as someone does trip up over their own words the ones that are quiet are just passed over. Getting called out on twitter is one thing. Some organized deal to boycott your sponsers so they drop you and attempting to make your life a living hell all the way around are different things.
Sometimes I scroll through daily mail on snapchat. All it is now is stories of celebrities getting torn up on social media.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing "good" about taking an ally in the cause against racism, who has a multi year track record of outreach, financial support, and solidarity.....and publicly shaming him, threatening to boycott his sponsors, and making personal attacks against him.

Like I said, are we wanting to come together or not?

My post wasnt clear sorry. Some people have good intentions when they call people out. I agree that there is nothing good about the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts