Harbaugh suffering a bit of the Old Kirk?

I thought this part was interesting, especially the part about enunciating a play call or audible correctly, something I had not heard before when talking about the Mich QB battle.

Snip---

Receiver Jehu Chesson agreed with that assessment. He said that*all of the quarterbacks know their roles and the others support and assist Rudock in game prep.

While many on the outside see where Rudock can improve, Chesson sees how Rudock helps the offense more than fellow QBs*Shane Morris, Wilton Speight,*Alex Malzone and Zach Gentry.

"Confidence, he has a great arm and ... it's amazing how a quarterback can come in the huddle, call a play and enunciate every single word so that everybody*understands it," Chesson said. "If a couple words are misspoken or you don't get them across, that's a whole different play you're talking about. Once*he can enunciate the words and get us the play, he's really good at that and get us out of a bad play if we see a front*we don't like. In terms of just playing football, if he didn't have the talent or skills, he wouldn't be at Michigan. He definitely has a skill set to be a Michigan quarterback and he's doing a wonderful job at that."

Last edited:
Hey, what do you know?

Just like when Jim played, an Iowa quarterback (in this case, two actually) is better than anything that Michigan's got.

How bad do the backups have to be at Michigan if he is by far and away the best option they have? Don't get me wrong, he did have some really good moments at Iowa, but he is very limited.

Shane Morris is...bad. And then newbies after that. Rudock is all they have.

Rudock's QBR is something like 34. CJBs is somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 and I'd say the level of competition has been pretty even so far.

don't care... watched video last night of CJB coming out of HS

Good god ... those screaming for Beathard were so right

Like I said a million times before, Rudock is a transition QB in a transition year. Win 6 or 7 games get to a bowl game. Where those overrated 15 extra practices will actually mean something in Michigan's case. Bottom line, it looks like it is going to work out for everyone(rudock, CJB, Michigan and Iowa).

don't care... watched video last night of CJB coming out of HS

Good god ... those screaming for Beathard were so right

Wasn't he Tennessee's Mr. Football or player of the year? Just think if Houston Nutt doesn't get fired at ole Miss, we are probably looking at a new coach in 2016. Trying to do the whole butterfly effect thing, but it is not quite working.:eek:

And for the old farts, yeah I know Willie Guy was Mr. Football in Tennessee and that worked out great.:eek:

Rudock's QBR is something like 34. CJBs is somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 and I'd say the level of competition has been pretty even so far.

Iowa's schedule has probably been tougher so far. The average Sagarin rank of Iowa's opponents has been 67 and Michigan's 82.

The weird part is Rudock already has 5 interceptions in 3 games this year. He only had 5 total for Iowa last year. The one thing he is supposed to be good at was not turning the ball over. Still Harbaugh insists those picks are not all Rudock's fault.

I'm waiting for Harbaugh to throw out a snort and "That's Football!". Rudock is a game manager. That can be alright at times. See Trent Dilfer.

I have no answer for why people have to get on Rudock so bad. Why some people feel they have to shun an individual just because they are no longer on their favorite team is beyond me. Don't get it. I wish the guy well in Michigan.

Glad it's his problem now.

To be honest, I don't care about Jake at this point which is something I wouldn't have said a couple weeks ago. I think I was only holding onto the demise of Jake as a crutch to make me feel better about the Hawkeye team failures, but those expected failures have turned into successes so I no longer need that crutch!!!

I've watched Jake a couple times this year. He hasn't looked good. He looked better at Iowa. I think if he was Iowa's QB this year, the Hawks would probably be sitting with a record of 1-2. Beathard can keep plays alive with his feet, and his pocket presence is absolutely amazing. His arm is pretty good too. It's clear that a lot of Iowa's offensive problems last season began and ended with Jake Rudock.

Don't intend to trash Jake, either. By all accounts, he was a good kid, a smart teammate and a serviceable QB at Iowa. Glad we have who we have now, I agree we might now be 1-2 if Jake was still the starter.

[h=1]Brian Bennett ESPN Staff Writer[/h]
bennett_brian_m.jpg

Through three weeks, it looks like Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz made the right call at QB. C.J. Beathard has 684 passing yards, 4 TDs. 1 INT and a 79.9 QBR. Meanwhile, former starter Jake Rudock has 582 passing yards, 3 TDs, 5 INTs and a 34.3 QBR at Michigan.

Latest posts