Harbaugh NFL Bound?!

I wouldn't blame him for leaving. Recruitment and Retainment of players is next to impossible if you are trying to sustain a program even at a school like Michigan. There has been a problem with ethics within major college sports for most of the time I've been alive. What was below the surface has been legitimized through the NIL and Portal. I will just say that those with Egos like Nick Saban and boosters like Phil Knight are going to destroy conferences and limit the numbers able to compete.

Let’s try to keep this thread pertaining to Harbaugh’s situation, if it devolves into another argument over NIL those posts will get moved.

Almost any NFL job will be less money, zero job security, and hamstrung by salary caps.

If NIL is a possible reason why Harbaugh would be looking to jump to the NFL, it is pertinent to this thread and the discussion overall. With that being said, I would think eventually, Michigan would generally be on the receiving end and benefitting from NIL and the transfer portal because, well…...it’s Michigan.

I think he's probably gone, either to the Broncos or another NFL team. I think it's all about the challenge to him. Just my take, but I don't think it is about the money, job security, etc. with Harbaugh.

He wants to be coaching at the highest level. He's dominated the Big Ten for two years in a row, whipped the Buckeyes twice...probably can only get worse for him in Ann Arbor. But not sure he really thinks that way anyway. It's a pretty amazing era of offense in the NFL right now, and I think he wants to be back in the arena.

Even if he wasn't an NFL guy, I think it'd be tempting. 4 year contracts and salary cap rules probably sound refreshing vs. year round roster retention and maintenance.

Seems to be some smoke with all this anyway.... I kinda thought after he came back after flirting with the Vikings last yr that all of it was just a flex move by him to get more of what he wanted. He was probably a little butt hurt over the restructuring of his deal the yr prior to that so he and his agent flexed and got what they wanted. I mean they had a great yr didn't they? Beat OSU and beat em down. So there's more to the story if he's seriously entertaining the thought of leaving now. Be it the changing of how recruiting is with NIL and the portal or whatever.

Just because Michigan is as well positioned as anyone to acclimate themselves to this new way of doing things doesn't mean Harbaugh himself wants to.

Harbaugh will return to Michigan. This is simply being used as leverage by him to get a better, more secure contract with the school, which is notorious for not doing so.

The Broncos ownership has said they will spend whatever it takes to get the best coach that can possibly be gotten. They want an established NFL guy with a track record of winning, and they will pay whatever it takes to get him. Harbaugh fits the mold. Don't be shocked to see a deal with the Broncos approaching 15 mill a year for a guy like Harbaugh.

That said, Jim is not walking into a full rebuild. So, he either believes he can turn Russ Wilson around or he passes no matter what the money offer. Jim strikes me as a guy who believes he can turn Russ back around.

As a Chiefs fan, I am not rooting for this.

Harbaugh will return to Michigan. This is simply being used as leverage by him to get a better, more secure contract with the school, which is notorious for not doing so.
He literally just did this I thought... I can't see going to this well every year but hey who knows.. It doesn't damage him to have his name in the rumor mill. Michigan isn't firing him and he knows that. Maybe it's literally just a way of saying to the NFL if I get the absolute perfect situation that he'd like to have he'd do it. But what are the odds of that? What is his perfect situation? Or is he just tired of college football and all that goes with it? He's an interesting guy nothing would surprise me too much if he were to make a decision like this

Not sure things have to be all that perfect for him to jump. He was ready to take the Vikings job last year. Being a college coach presents different challenges. The pressure to win is the same, but adding in gladhanding donors, fundraising, and kissing 18 year old kids and their families asses year round is not for everyone. For all his faults, Jim is a very good coach, and going back to the NFL may present the chance to just coach again. He certainly would be leaving Michigan in a much better place than he found it, so I think he could leave with a clear conscience.

Not sure things have to be all that perfect for him to jump. He was ready to take the Vikings job last year. Being a college coach presents different challenges. The pressure to win is the same, but adding in gladhanding donors, fundraising, and kissing 18 year old kids and their families asses year round is not for everyone. For all his faults, Jim is a very good coach, and going back to the NFL may present the chance to just coach again. He certainly would be leaving Michigan in a much better place than he found it, so I think he could leave with a clear conscience.

He hasn't been at Michigan all that long and look just how much the landscape of college football has changed since that time, literally the last couple years. I think he goes.

It used to be he only had to kiss the asses of 17 and 18 year olds. Now it is a 5 year process because it's open season on everyone all the time. I can't see him wanting to do that for another decade.

Denver is gonna be bad for a few years. They sold the farm for an aging QB that's not taking them anywhere. Harbaugh (or any other coach) would have to get a long term guarantee to take that job.

Which, if you think about it, wouldn't be a bad retirement plan.

It used to be he only had to kiss the asses of 17 and 18 year olds. Now it is a 5 year process because it's open season on everyone all the time. I can't see him wanting to do that for another decade.

Agree, it's not just staying over at a recruits house just to get him to sign to get them on campus. Now it is having to constantly re-recruit your scholly players to keep them each year.

Agree, it's not just staying over at a recruits house just to get him to sign to get them on campus. Now it is having to constantly re-recruit your scholly players to keep them each year.
Yup.... I'm worried that part is what's gonna bite Iowa too. Feels like Jacobs slipped through that crack. What if we'd been proactive in trying to see if he was happy and what'd it'd take to get him to stay? Could that have made a difference? So I dunno. But you're right every kid is pretty much in non stop recruitment mode now.

Denver is gonna be bad for a few years. They sold the farm for an aging QB that's not taking them anywhere. Harbaugh (or any other coach) would have to get a long term guarantee to take that job.

Which, if you think about it, wouldn't be a bad retirement plan.
Pete Carrol has forgotten more about football than most coaches know. He let Wilson go. He looks pretty smart right now.

Wilson will be 35 next year. He could still play another 4-5 years given how QBs are coddled, but then again, a big part of his game is extending plays, scrambling and running. Those skills don't usually age well into your late 30s. I have seen a number of games this year, and from what I can see, the problem is consistency and talent around him. His coach also sucked. A new coach might squeeze some life out of him, but they have no high draft picks the next two years because of the trade, so no young help ius coming on the line or WR room.

I don't see any head coach moving Denver past the Chiefs or Chargers in the next few years, so other than the money, I don't see a ton of upside to Denver's job.

Jim Harbaugh feels a lot like Larry Brown to me. A little eccentric and every 5-7 years he needs a change of scenery.

A guy who can fluctuate between college and pro and can have a high level of success no matter where he goes.

Jim Harbaugh feels a lot like Larry Brown to me. A little eccentric and every 5-7 years he needs a change of scenery.

A guy who can fluctuate between college and pro and can have a high level of success no matter where he goes.
Pretty good comparision actually.

BTW, Larry Brown is the only coach to win both an NCAA title and an NBA title as a coach.

There are 3 football coaches who've done it. Can you name them?

Latest posts