Handshake Lines Moving Forward

I can see why it should go away, especially after the Mich/Wisky game. But for all the physicality in the NFL, when the final horn sounds, why are pro football players able to let the emotions of the game behind? Why can't other sports emulate this?

I think college and nfl football players and nhl hockey players are just glad they are not injured badly after a game, glad they are still standing. I have read and heard several times that going way back nfl players, when a game is not in doubt late in the 4th qtr, just say to each other on both sides let's just get this over with and nobody gets hurt.

And I am starting to change my mind that maybe the obligatory handshake line should go away and it should be like after a football game where players mingle with opponents they want to mingle with, guys they played against in high school and AAU, etc etc. Coaches can just wave at each other if need be.

college and nfl football do not have handshake lines but the players find opponents they want to congratulate or offer 'nice games' to.

A few years ago two nfl head coaches got into a pretty heated postgame dust up.

Ya know, it is too bad that this subject has to waver between basketball boards vs off topic. This is very much a relevant discussion for Hawk Basketball going forward, as in what is the impact on the match up @ Michigan with Howard out? The impact of the suspensions on team chemistry, will Michigan implode?

Why there are ulterior motives read into this situation by the certain talking head media who see this as a opportunity to pontificate is what blurs the lines here and escalates this beyond what it is- two douche coaches who made the worst of a bad situation.

Just my two cents worth. Michigan is having an underwhelming season after being picked to part the red sea, and their coach can't handle it. And Gard? Well, what can I say.....when Davison finally plays his last game, he will probably cry.......

My thoughts. Get rid of the lines themselves. Players and coaches who respect the opposition are going to shake hands or embrace the opponent whether there's a line or not, like you see in other sports. If two competitors want to meet after a game and meet with each other there's nothing stopping them from doing it after the game. Doing it this way also gives those the opportunity to escape back to the locker room if they'd like to avoid such situations.

Sportsmanship still exists whether there's a line or not. Some people have it some don't, but IMO don't put those that don't want to be there in that situation.

Even if Fran isn’t a model of sportsmanship, he’s right. Tempers and tensions are never higher than right after a game. There’s no rule or reason why you should have to go put on a show high fiving guys you don’t like and putting on an act.

You’re just inviting trouble.

How bout we compromise? Wait a half hour until everyone gets showered and dressed and calmed down, and players can come back out and smile for the camera shaking hands. Then all the fogeys longing for the good ole days can talk about what nice, high-character boys those players are and how good their sportsmanship is. That’s works, doesn’t it?
That's the kicker right there.... What's it being done for to begin with? Not in the name of sportsmanship or tradition so much as that it's on camera so that said teams/conferences can puff their chests out in some way to say they have the moral high ground. I couldn't care less as a viewer. Only reason to watch that is to see if there's a Howard/Gard situation about to happen. Otherwise it's just something to be ignored like the National Anthem. They only play that before big games on TV not all of em. Everything is for TV now every flipping thing

I remember two games specifically where Fran was pissed at the end of the game and skipped the handshake line, I thought both were justified. I agree with others that if at all, it should be done before the game. I think soccer does it right.

One was North Dakota and obviously there was a lot going on before this: https://youtu.be/dElklQ4VLfs?t=62

Second was Illinois maybe?

Fry, I got to ask, I just went and looked at post 35. I don't see any racism in that post. I'm trying really hard to find it. Was it the video that was posted in that link? The footage of the actually altercation?
But, Rob, I will say that you could make the case it did involve Iowa sports to a certain degree. We can trace Howard's odd behavior back to our last game with him. And, we still have to face them at Michigan.

Many times, we also have game threads on other Big Ten teams.

This was a big story in college sports and it is being discussed everywhere.

Apparently there was a racism in post 35, but looking at that post, I'm struggling to find it. Maybe the post was edited?
Post 35 was me explaining that the thread had diverged into a discussion on race, which isn't allowed. Re-read the thread and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

And as evidence that these threads need to be moved, people got chippy with each other when the race stuff began being talked about.

I'm not going to say this again...moving the thread had NO effect to it's content. I deleted no posts or threads, and I changed no content whatsoever. Unless you can demonstrate for me how moving a thread to a different forum affects it or affects you in a negative way, this convo is doneski.

Either tell me how moving a thread is detrimental in any way to you, or stop complaining about it.

But, Rob, I will say that you could make the case it did involve Iowa sports to a certain degree.
Whether it involves Iowa sports or not is completely irrelevant. that stuff, Iowa or not Iowa, goes in OT and when a normal thread turns that direction it's getting moved . Nothing more, nothing less.

My thoughts. Get rid of the lines themselves. Players and coaches who respect the opposition are going to shake hands or embrace the opponent whether there's a line or not, like you see in other sports. If two competitors want to meet after a game and meet with each other there's nothing stopping them from doing it after the game. Doing it this way also gives those the opportunity to escape back to the locker room if they'd like to avoid such situations.

Sportsmanship still exists whether there's a line or not. Some people have it some don't, but IMO don't put those that don't want to be there in that situation.
This...1,000%

I had never noticed it before

But the Hawk Women and the hoosiers did not line up and shake hands after the game

At least I didn't see it

What a great game. The women compliment the men's team quite nicely

The victors celebrated with joy and the losers slumped off the floor in disgrace

It's All Good

:cool:

Maybe we could have players all go down in the basement of the arena after the game for ham buns and coffee like they do after funerals here in the midwest.

Or maybe they could all bake cupcakes that say, "Good Game" and send them to opposing teams with a bag of those heart candies you get during Valentine's season.

Would that be an acceptable substitute for you 90 year old "Rah rah rah, yay college," pennant-waving, "I want paper tickets" crowd?

If two competitors want to meet after a game and meet with each other there's nothing stopping them from doing it after the game. Doing it this way also gives those the opportunity to escape back to the locker room if they'd like to avoid such situations.
As long as they get the hell off the diamond so @99topdawg and I can start dragging the infield to avoid people.

I had never noticed it before

But the Hawk Women and the hoosiers did not line up and shake hands after the game

At least I didn't see it

What a great game. The women compliment the men's team quite nicely

The victors celebrated with joy and the losers slumped off the floor in disgrace

It's All Good

:cool:

I talked about it in my mailbag podcast this morning. The Iowa women do not shake hands with opponents after games. They wave to each other, which started last year during the pandemic.

Well, if it did, as a cumulation of things, I don't see where post 35 devolved into anything that had anything to with race. Just my opinion...and I tried really hard to find in that post that accumulated into anything to do with race. I can't find it. Maybe I'm wrong.

As far the thread being moved, I have no control over that and I wouldn't say I'm personally complaining. From my end, I was just looking for clarity on why it was moved after someone else in this thread asked where it went. I was curious as well.

If the thread became racist I can certainly understand that. But, I don't see anything racist leading up to post 35...or post 35, but that is your call.

Unless the word "thug" is what triggered this (as melrose suggested). Which that is new to me if that is now a coded word for racism. I think that is unfortunate. I guess the next time I would just say what "an angry man?" LOL

I know we have used the word "thug" plenty of times in game threads for all the cheap shots thrown at our players throughout the years....whether they be black or white. I know I look at their actions, not their skin color.
There are two options when a thread derails. Delete posts, or move it. Deleting it is a bunch of work and babysitting; moving it solves the issue easily and permanently. Again, it's still preferred by most. I've gotten tons of PMs from folks who are happy that we have and enforce the use of an OT forum. HR doesn't use OT, and a whole bunch of their threads turn into train wrecks because of it. When it gets bad enough, Sanderson or Kakert just nuke the whole thing, deleting any good content in the process. We're small enough here that even with only one mod I read every post that goes on the board within a few hours max, usually within hours or minutes. It's easy for me to manage and just move them.

One thing I don't like to do is delete stuff and I like banning people even less, contrary to popular belief.

Side note, if anyone is ever wondering about a thread being moved, PM me instead of asking on another thread, because then things go sideways.

There are two options when a thread derails. Delete posts, or move it. Deleting it is a bunch of work and babysitting; moving it solves the issue easily and permanently. Again, it's still preferred by most. I've gotten tons of PMs from folks who are happy that we have and enforce the use of an OT forum. HR doesn't use OT, and a whole bunch of their threads turn into train wrecks because of it. When it gets bad enough, Sanderson or Kakert just nuke the whole thing, deleting any good content in the process. We're small enough here that even with only one mod I read every post that goes on the board within a few hours max, usually within hours or minutes. It's easy for me to manage and just move them.

One thing I don't like to do is delete stuff and I like banning people even less, contrary to popular belief.

Side note, if anyone is ever wondering about a thread being moved, PM me instead of asking on another thread, because then things go sideways.
Fair enough.

This...1,000%
Just thinking

I don't know how many of you remember, but I believe the game Indiana and Iowa played when Jeff Moe played for the last time against Bobby Knight, I recall Knight made special effort to tell Moe he wished he would have recruited him

Or last years Woman's NCAA when Geno Auriemma shared some very kind words to Caitlin Clark......

Or on a very dark day, when Chris Street was laid to rest, opposing coaches Clem Haskins and Bill Foster attended...........

Or JBo paying the respect to Street that he did...............

Sportsmanship and respect can and do exist, but the wretched actions of a couple prima donnas overshadow.

Its all skewed wrong sometimes..........and what is right gets swept under the carpet.

Just thinking

I don't know how many of you remember, but I believe the game Indiana and Iowa played when Jeff Moe played for the last time against Bobby Knight, I recall Knight made special effort to tell Moe he wished he would have recruited him

Or last years Woman's NCAA when Geno Auriemma shared some very kind words to Caitlin Clark......

Or on a very dark day, when Chris Street was laid to rest, opposing coaches Clem Haskins and Bill Foster attended...........

Or JBo paying the respect to Street that he did...............

Sportsmanship and respect can and do exist, but the wretched actions of a couple prima donnas overshadow.

Its all skewed wrong sometimes..........and what is right gets swept under the carpet.
Knight said that to Settles but he did appreciate Moe, an Indiana native, as well. He waited until everyone was in place for the opening tip of Moe's past game vs Indiana, then walked onto the court and shook hands with Moe.

Probably just in time. That was the game where Todd Jadlow inbounded the ball off Kent Hill's face and Hill caught him with a partial swipe. Hill was ejected and Davis went berserk. A technical foul was also called on Bill Jones because he left the bench to try and restrain Hill. I don't think Knight or Davis were in any mood to shake hands with anyone when that game was over.

Kent Hill, as has been well documented on these boards, was one tough hombre. In fact between Hill, Moe, Horton and Michael Reaves few people messed with Iowa. But Todd Jadlow was one of the meanest players to ever suit up for Indiana. A full scale brawl between him and Hill may have gone on for a while.

Knight said that to Settles but he did appreciate Moe, an Indiana native, as well. He waited until everyone was in place for the opening tip of Moe's past game vs Indiana, then walked onto the court and shook hands with Moe.

Probably just in time. That was the game where Todd Jadlow inbounded the ball off Kent Hill's face and Hill caught him with a partial swipe. Hill was ejected and Davis went berserk. A technical foul was also called on Bill Jones because he left the bench to try and restrain Hill. I don't think Knight or Davis were in any mood to shake hands with anyone when that game was over.

Kent Hill, as has been well documented on these boards, was one tough hombre. In fact between Hill, Moe, Horton and Michael Reaves few people messed with Iowa. But Todd Jadlow was one of the meanest players to ever suit up for Indiana. A full scale brawl between him and Hill may have gone on for a while.
Famous tale of members of that badass Iowa basketball team fighting with and chasing Iowa wrestlers through downtown Iowa City bars. One of the teams was ranked No. 1 nationally at the time, the other No. 2.