Handshake Lines Moving Forward

I've been through plenty of handshake lines as a coach and most of the kids are fine but there is always a couple you can tell would rather spit on you than shake your and and say good game. They go through the line without making eye contact, they mumble (if anything), and barely put their hand out (if at all). The attitudes get worse as they get older.

d829d6d2-9432-42f0-b1fd-4d875bc7967e_text.gif

A Michigan Handshake line 2022.

BAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, Fran, you're a model of sportsmanship and class as you whine like a 3 year old every time a ref's call doesn't go your way. You're all class, all the time. Egads, what a joke.
Even if Fran isn’t a model of sportsmanship, he’s right. Tempers and tensions are never higher than right after a game. There’s no rule or reason why you should have to go put on a show high fiving guys you don’t like and putting on an act.

You’re just inviting trouble.

How bout we compromise? Wait a half hour until everyone gets showered and dressed and calmed down, and players can come back out and smile for the camera shaking hands. Then all the fogeys longing for the good ole days can talk about what nice, high-character boys those players are and how good their sportsmanship is. That’s works, doesn’t it?

Have you ever watched the handshake line at the end of a Stanley Cup final in hockey. Those guys can really get under each others skins and prompt some mean shit on the ice but they show a lot of sportsmanship and a lot of brotherhood in that line for their shared endeavor. Same with football players after games.
Then make it optional. Hold hands and sing kumbaya if you want but don’t make people line up so the other team can Jack their jaws and start shit. Let the lovey dovey players hang out taking selfies if they want and everyone else can hit the locker room.

I like how Captains at the beginning of football games do their thing with the coin toss. Maybe something like that before the action happens. Or a boxing fight.....ref gives instructions and they then touch gloves. Do the sportsmanship thing before the game actually happens.

I like how Captains at the beginning of football games do their thing with the coin toss. Maybe something like that before the action happens. Or a boxing fight.....ref gives instructions and they then touch gloves. Do the sportsmanship thing before the game actually happens.
In higher level soccer matches the handshakes are a pre-game show where everyone participates.

I’m too fired up at that point. After the handshake hokey pokey I go straight to the RF gate and hop on the gator.

Win or lose, dragging the infield is my decompression. I do that until everyone’s gone except my assistants and then we talk about the game.

Added benefit, it’s also a way to avoid parents who wait around after the game to talk about their kid playing a different position or ask why Johnny’s not pitching.

Funny story, last year had a mom upset about 8th graders playing and I could tell she was waiting after the game to corner me about it. I probably dragged the whole infield like 8 times. It was this silent little standoff to see who was gonna give in first. I’ll ride that thing around all damn night, lady. It’s fun.
Just make sure you don't run out of gas.

Make it pre-game before emotions and tempers flare. After warm-ups but before coin toss, whatever, everyone shakes hands. Do like soccer: line up all players and the officials; home team crosses first and shakes hands with the officials and the visitors, visitors cross and shake hands with the officials, then everyone goes to their positions.

There was a time when basketball starting lineup introductions were alternated, and two players would bump hands at mid court.

This gradually went away about twenty years ago as home lineup intros turned into mini rock concerts. Now you rarely see them and probably wo t again.

I suppose the handshake after the game isn't necessary. If you go that way I also suppose you could look at a lot of things in life and conclude that's not needed. Cheering when at Carver isn't necessary. I attend some games and me cheering the Hawks if you think about it really has no impact one way or the other on the outcome. I used to open the door for my wife, but really that's not necessary either. No more of that now that I think about it. Life will be much easier if we just rid ourselves of the unnecessary stuff.

Well maybe it is just you Fry and a small minority that think it is forced, fakey dog and pony show shit. Have you ever watched the handshake line at the end of a Stanley Cup final in hockey. Those guys can really get under each others skins and prompt some mean shit on the ice but they show a lot of sportsmanship and a lot of brotherhood in that line for their shared endeavor. Same with football players after games.

Now if someone wants to coldcock a punk like Davidson or Grayson Allen or whatever his name is then that is fine , (not but you can just ignore him and not shake his hand to send a message).
I can see why it should go away, especially after the Mich/Wisky game. But for all the physicality in the NFL, when the final horn sounds, why are pro football players able to let the emotions of the game behind? Why can't other sports emulate this?

It’s unfortunate Rob got his hinie hurt. But it was a Black columnist calling out another Black man. How is that racist?

It’s out there, pal. Take a listen to Stephen A Smith saying Howard (who he repeatedly called a “brother”) should be suspended not only through the rest of the season but through the BTT and also the NCAA if Michigan makes it that far. He said Howard would be a “lucky man” if he wasn’t fired.

Juwan is a “lucky man,” it appears.

Don’t shoot the messenger.
I don’t give two shits what you talk about. I never even commented the thread because I literally don’t care about the situation. You’re acting like I deleted posts or altered content, which I didn’t. Stop being a victim.

I can see why it should go away, especially after the Mich/Wisky game. But for all the physicality in the NFL, when the final horn sounds, why are pro football players able to let the emotions of the game behind? Why can't other sports emulate this?
Major league baseball doesn't, never has, and I've always wondered why. Maybe that's an @Fryowa question.

Major league baseball doesn't, never has, and I've always wondered why. Maybe that's an @Fryowa question.

Not Fry but I think this article from 2017 helps explain why MLB doesn't have one. There is actually a rule against players socializing while in uniform.

"rule 4.06, which has been on the MLB books since at least 1950 and dictates that "players of opposing teams shall not fraternize at any time while in uniform.""

They play a 162 game season and when you reach professional baseball the game isn't necessarily about sportsmanship. Playing that many games with 30 teams there would bound to be fights that break out.

Here is the link to the article written by Matz, it is a good read: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...ttle-league-why-mlb-players-shake-hands-games

The discussion is right there in OT. No posts removed. Unless you can give me a single reason why moving it hurt the content of the thread, you’re just a Karen yelling to hear herself yell.

I should have moved it. Thought about it. That's my bad.

Then why isn't this one being moved?

Which I don't think it should be, just like I disagreed with the Howard thread being moved. If you have issues with someone breaking the rules then address the one doing it instead of moving stuff around. These are basketball topics and they do impact the Hawkeyes.

If we're being honest, the other thread was both basketball and off-topic. If this one becomes more jumbled like that, it will be moved. Just go to the off-topic board and discuss it.

And I don't monitor these boards anymore, for the most part. I try to help Fry when I can. He's in charge.

Latest posts