Hairball leaving Michigan

I always wish ill upon Nebbie, but this move makes no sense for Rhule unless Michigan just backs up the brinks truck. The next Michigan coach has nowhere to go but down. A 10-win season at Michigan in the next few years will be a failure. Any season that ends in a loss to OSU, will be a failure. I cannot imagine any established coach wanting to walk into that hornet's nest.

At Nebbie, Rhule has similar resources, but incredibly modest expectations. If he wins 10 games at Nebbie in the next few years, they may start to sing about him in local places of worship in Nebraska.

Would you rather forever be in Harbaugh's, the hometown golden boy, shadow, or the man who resurrects the program in a state where this program is all that really matters in the state? No brainer for me.
Interesting way of looking at it... 25 yrs ago this woulda been a tougher call to me. But not now. Resurrecting Neb to what? They aren't getting back to what they were in the 90s anyway that's a pipe dream.

Harbaugh ain't Saban. That's the largest shadow a HC could cast and that had nothing to do with replacing him. I think Michigan is Michigan and if Rhule or most HCs were seriously in the running and offered it they'd take it over Neb in a heart beat

It's pretty crazy given how much they offered Jimbo, how much talent they're returning and how large their AD budget + NIL. But I'm surprised at the lack of high quality names being mentioned as candidates. Maybe it's because everyone just assumes Moore is the choice and they're just throwing names of coaches wanting pay bumps at their current smaller schools.

I always wish ill upon Nebbie, but this move makes no sense for Rhule unless Michigan just backs up the brinks truck. The next Michigan coach has nowhere to go but down. A 10-win season at Michigan in the next few years will be a failure. Any season that ends in a loss to OSU, will be a failure. I cannot imagine any established coach wanting to walk into that hornet's nest.

At Nebbie, Rhule has similar resources, but incredibly modest expectations. If he wins 10 games at Nebbie in the next few years, they may start to sing about him in local places of worship in Nebraska.

Would you rather forever be in Harbaugh's, the hometown golden boy, shadow, or the man who resurrects the program in a state where this program is all that really matters in the state? No brainer for me.
It's a matter of the below formula:

Annual Salary Dollars / (Perceived Units of Pressure * Total Expected Wins)

Which is why Matt Campbell is technically the richest coach in the history of sports, professional or amateur.

It's pretty crazy given how much they offered Jimbo, how much talent they're returning and how large their AD budget + NIL. But I'm surprised at the lack of high quality names being mentioned as candidates. Maybe it's because everyone just assumes Moore is the choice and they're just throwing names of coaches wanting pay bumps at their current smaller schools.
You might see some of that jump ship a la Alabama.

I 100% agree and don’t think there’s any way this happens but I would love to see Neb having to reshuffle their deck yet again. I’ve been super impressed w/ what Rhule’s done so far at Neb. Unfortunately for the first time I feel they made the right hire and it sucks cause Rhule has been hard to not like. He didn’t come into the B10 w/ arrogance. He’s saw the Neb job for what it is. Great school w/ great tradition and resources but a fb locker room culture that simply doesn’t know how to win. I think he’s gonna change that over the next 4 years.
I am always impressed when I see him doing postgame or being interviewed, like on podcasts.

In addition, he's more than willing to admit if he makes a coaching blunder, like clock mismanagement or something. I've heard him discussing this once admitting that it was his call and he needs to do a better job going forward.

When you look at what has happened at Michigan and Washington you have to wonder if it doesn’t pay to get to the national title game? I feel for my friend who is a Washington fan. It’s like getting to the promised land and finding that God isn’t there.

When you look at what has happened at Michigan and Washington you have to wonder if it doesn’t pay to get to the national title game? I feel for my friend who is a Washington fan. It’s like getting to the promised land and finding that God isn’t there.
It’s all relative to the situation. Jimmy has won everywhere he’s been. Took Michigan to the pinnacle of the sport. Not like Jimmy was going to go to a more elite program than Michigan. Kalen is in a whole different situation. Alabama is lightyears ahead of where Washington is at as a program. Sure, they just went to the NC game but moving to the B10 and being that successful right away is a big stretch. Looking at their schedule next year it’s pretty easy to find 5-6 potentially loses.

Keep in mind that he chose to go to Nebraska in the first place, so his judgment and reasoning skills are questionable.

It’s all relative to the situation. Jimmy has won everywhere he’s been. Took Michigan to the pinnacle of the sport. Not like Jimmy was going to go to a more elite program than Michigan. Kalen is in a whole different situation. Alabama is lightyears ahead of where Washington is at as a program. Sure, they just went to the NC game but moving to the B10 and being that successful right away is a big stretch. Looking at their schedule next year it’s pretty easy to find 5-6 potentially loses.

Totally agree with what you are saying. I just feel for my friend. Washington in sports in my opinion was mediocre for a PAC ten team. When you think of PAC football you think, Oregon and USC (used to be UCLA once upon a time) but Washington was a sleeper. I would say almost an Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State level. Right coach at right time can be all the difference.

With a competent offense Iowa could have climbed back to the third best team in the B1G side by side with Penn State and competing for number two when Michigan was struggling. The last three years Iowa has not been a complimentary football program. It was lacking in “the sum of all parts”.

With a competent offense Iowa could have climbed back to the third best team in the B1G side by side with Penn State and competing for number two when Michigan was struggling. The last three years Iowa has not been a complimentary football program. It was lacking in “the sum of all parts”.
How crazy is that really? Even an average offense over the last 5 years would have produce probably 1 B1G Championship with the D they've had.

Betting Odds for the next Michigan Coach.......... Detroit Free Press
  • 1. Michigan OC Sherrone Moore (-700)
  • 2. Kansas coach Lance Leipold (+600)
  • 3. LSU coach Brian Kelly (+700)
  • 4. Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck (+1000)
  • 5. Michigan DC Jesse Minter (+1100)
  • 6. Iowa State coach Matt Campbell (+1200)
  • T-7. Kansas State coach Chris Klieman (+1600)
  • T-7. Michigan RB coach Mike Hart (+1600)
  • 9. Nebraska coach Matt Rhule (+2000)
  • T-10. Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin (+2500)
  • T-10. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney (+2500)

Dude has the wherewithal to get out ahead of the posse. Eventually the NCAA was going to come down on him more had he stayed. He won the championship, he'd leveraged himself to where he was as valuable to the NFL as could be and had no less then 2 teams really wanting him there. So yeah he had the perfect storm of circumstances for him to fly the coop. Some guys are luckier then all get out and he just is.

Their OC who replaced him while being suspended is most likely going to replace him. They have a good thing going so blowing up the staff wouldn't be very prudent. (unless they think he was in on all the cheating Harbaugh was doing then maybe they would blow it all up who knows) Michigan didn't seem too worried about all the ramifications of cheating till now so we'll see but my guess is Moore is the leader in the clubhouse for it.
I guess Harbaugh and Pete Caroll are blood brothers.

Betting Odds for the next Michigan Coach.......... Detroit Free Press
  • 1. Michigan OC Sherrone Moore (-700)
  • 2. Kansas coach Lance Leipold (+600)
  • 3. LSU coach Brian Kelly (+700)
  • 4. Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck (+1000)
  • 5. Michigan DC Jesse Minter (+1100)
  • 6. Iowa State coach Matt Campbell (+1200)
  • T-7. Kansas State coach Chris Klieman (+1600)
  • T-7. Michigan RB coach Mike Hart (+1600)
  • 9. Nebraska coach Matt Rhule (+2000)
  • T-10. Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin (+2500)
  • T-10. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney (+2500)
Kelly surprises me...good coach, but he would cost a ton, and the way he left ND came across as pretty douchy. If we WAS willing to bail immediately on LSU, that is another red flag.

It feels like Fleck, Campbell, and Klieman (and probably Rhule) are all the same guy. Really good coach who has done good things out of the spotlight. Are any of them elite? Can any live up to what Mich will demand?

The one I think is intriguing is Dabo...he has proven he is elite, and ACC is a sinking ship. What he jump for a godfather offer?

...Well, O$U went on a portal/NIL spending spree to counter Harbaugh and Michigan.

Now that the dust has settled and he's outta town....Harbaugh is no doubt snickering at the consternation he caused them.

Revenge from the grave if you will.....

Last edited:

You never want to be the guy replacing the legend.

You want to be the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the legend....