Steals: T-2nd
Rebounds: 5th
PER: 3rd
EFG %: 2nd
BPM (box +/-): 3rd
Conference minutes per game: 9th

Name that hawk.

Last edited:
Nunge is the correct answer. He will be 8th on the team in total minutes played here in short order. His lack of minutes is simply head scratching.

Nunge is the correct answer. He will be 8th on the team in total minutes played here in short order. His lack of minutes is simply head scratching.
According to ESPN he is third for free throw % if you exclude Connor. He needs more playing time. I think he would fit at point for a 3-2 zone or even 1-3-1

Coaches need to figure out the right position for him. As others who know better than I, he may not be a 3; however, he is young, inexperienced, and seems to have lost his mojo. Hopefully, he will get it back.

Coaches need to figure out the right position for him. As others who know better than I, he may not be a 3; however, he is young, inexperienced, and seems to have lost his mojo. Hopefully, he will get it back.
My point would be it’s tough for anyone to have a “mojo” when they play 22 minutes total in a four game span.

My point would be it’s tough for anyone to have a “mojo” when they play 22 minutes total in a four game span.

But at the same time, when he kills us the second he steps on the floor, what's Fran supposed to do? Of course others kill us too.

But at the same time, when he kills us the second he steps on the floor, what's Fran supposed to do? Of course others kill us too.
Has he killed us when he’s stepped on the floor? I haven’t seen that. Certainly not more any more than others who have gotten minutes. Example A: Pemsl at Maryland.

He’s played two minutes in each of the last two games. No way has he noticeably killed us in those minutes.

Even if he did at this point we are basically playing for the future. Get the kid more minutes.

I completely agree he should play more. But only because Pemsl is playing just as bad.

Motion offense is rule oriented. Nunge doesn't cut. He passes and stands (which actually keeps the player on him. He tends to pass to perimeter players, not so much cutters (but some), he doesn't look to shoot.

Here are some general rules on motions. Fran wants motion but doesn't have motion players except for motion Pt Guards.

1. Keep Great Spacing – This is the most important rule of the offense. Perimeter players should always be about 18 feet away from each other.

2. Cut With a Purpose on Every Cut – Players must look like they’re going to receive the basketball on every cut towards the hoop. This involves showing target hands and calling for the basketball.

3. Never Pass and Stand – After a perimeter player makes a pass, they should never stay in the same place. What action they make will depend on what progression you’re up to and the actions you choose to use.

4. Watch the Cutters! – I’m not a fan of players holding the basketball for too long, but since this offense relies so much on cutters and off-ball screens, it’s important that the player with the basketball see the cutters and is ready to make the pass if it’s open.

5. Always Catch Looking to Shoot – Players must keep the defense honest throughout the entire possession. Always catch the basketball ready to shoot if the defense isn’t quick enough.

6. No Excess Dribbling – Don’t allow players to catch and put the basketball on the floor without thinking. Save the dribble. Only dribble when penetrating to the rim, using an on-ball screen, or improving a passing angle.

Last edited:
Motion offense is rule oriented. Nunge doesn't cut. He passes and stands (which actually keeps the player on him. He tends to pass to perimeter players, not so much cutters (but some), he doesn't look to shoot.

Here are some general rules on motions. Fran wants motion but doesn't have motion players except for motion Pt Guards.

1. Keep Great Spacing – This is the most important rule of the offense. Perimeter players should always be about 18 feet away from each other.

2. Cut With a Purpose on Every Cut – Players must look like they’re going to receive the basketball on every cut towards the hoop. This involves showing target hands and calling for the basketball.

3. Never Pass and Stand – After a perimeter player makes a pass, they should never stay in the same place. What action they make will depend on what progression you’re up to and the actions you choose to use.

4. Watch the Cutters! – I’m not a fan of players holding the basketball for too long, but since this offense relies so much on cutters and off-ball screens, it’s important that the player with the basketball see the cutters and is ready to make the pass if it’s open.

5. Always Catch Looking to Shoot – Players must keep the defense honest throughout the entire possession. Always catch the basketball ready to shoot if the defense isn’t quick enough.

6. No Excess Dribbling – Don’t allow players to catch and put the basketball on the floor without thinking. Save the dribble. Only dribble when penetrating to the rim, using an on-ball screen, or improving a passing angle.

Nailed it. Exactly what I tell my team when coaching. They also have a tendency to just cut after the pass but not cut looking to score which drives me absolutely nuts. I do have them hold the ball just a bit after looking to shoot to look for a cutter. Sometimes they have a tendency to just keep passing it around without looking to score. There is a certain 2-3 second period that they should look at their 3 options then move the ball.

Have to get proper spacing first, that is key. I always state to "Dribble with a purpose". Don't just dribble to dribble. You lose an option. Drives me nuts the player that receives a pass then automatically puts the ball on the floor and not going anywhere.

I would guess his low amount of recent playing time is the result of the terrible D he showed against Ohio State. Not totally his fault if you ask me. He was playing a position he is not yet (and may never be) suited for.

Those stats are very interesting, and would certainly indicate Nunge deserves more minutes.
However, there's no denying Nunge has struggled against better competition and most of those team rank numbers he accumulated against awful competition. I do think Nunge deserves more minutes, but only if it comes in the form of Wagner's minutes as I'd sooner shrink the lineup than expand it. Also, if Nunge comes in Iowa needs to play zone. He's simply not quick enough right now to guard 3's.

I completely agree he should play more. But only because Pemsl is playing just as bad.
You are very confrontational lately it seems.

It’s funny because yesterday you were talking about Bohannon and said the sample size was too small, but now you are convinced that every time Jack has set foot on the floor in recent games he has “killed” us. He’s played 63 minutes total in B1G play, 22 in the last four games. The only reason imo he has struggled is because our coaches are playing him out of position, for the couple minutes he’s gotten in recent games.

Pemsl has had a little sophomore slump but he will be okay. Contrary to popular belief I’d actually get him more minutes. But the only way to do that is to shorten the rotation for the big men to only the top 4 guys. Decisions have to be made. It make no sense to play 2 guys 10-12 minutes when you can play one 20-24. That’s the issue here. I think you’re actually in agreement with that but apparently looking for arguments.

Cook 26
Garza 21
Pemsl 18
Nunge 15

Heck it’s even hard to make a 4 man rotation work, much less the 6 man rotation we are trying right now.

Those stats are very interesting, and would certainly indicate Nunge deserves more minutes.
However, there's no denying Nunge has struggled against better competition and most of those team rank numbers he accumulated against awful competition. I do think Nunge deserves more minutes, but only if it comes in the form of Wagner's minutes as I'd sooner shrink the lineup than expand it. Also, if Nunge comes in Iowa needs to play zone. He's simply not quick enough right now to guard 3's.
Here is what Nunge did in the four game span of @VT, Vs PSU, @indy, and @ iowa state.

21 MPG, 8.5 PPG, 5.25 RPG, 1.25 BPG
Only 3 total turnovers.

Since that stretch Fran has moved him back to the 3 and he hasn’t played over 10 minutes in a B1G game. Again it’s simply baffling.