Guess this Player?

Here is what Nunge did in the four game span of @VT, Vs PSU, @indy, and @ iowa state.

21 MPG, 8.5 PPG, 5.25 RPG, 1.25 BPG
Only 3 total turnovers.

Since that stretch Fran has moved him back to the 3 and he hasn’t played over 10 minutes in a B1G game. Again it’s simply baffling.

Yea, that doesn't make sense. I would suggest he may have looked really bad on defense during those games and that's why his minutes have been reduced, but then I'm reminded that Fran is our coach and he could care less about defense.
The numbers are convincing, I'll give you that, and I'm in favor of Nunge playing over Wagner. That being said, Nunge hasn't passed the eye test recently. He looks like he's playing timid and opponents look to exploit him right away on defense when he's on the floor.

Agreed, Nunge is now defiantly part of the scouting report on iowa. When he is on the floor, other teams know to go right at him.

You are very confrontational lately it seems.

It’s funny because yesterday you were talking about Bohannon and said the sample size was too small, but now you are convinced that every time Jack has set foot on the floor in recent games he has “killed” us. He’s played 63 minutes total in B1G play, 22 in the last four games. The only reason imo he has struggled is because our coaches are playing him out of position, for the couple minutes he’s gotten in recent games.

Pemsl has had a little sophomore slump but he will be okay. Contrary to popular belief I’d actually get him more minutes. But the only way to do that is to shorten the rotation for the big men to only the top 4 guys. Decisions have to be made. It make no sense to play 2 guys 10-12 minutes when you can play one 20-24. That’s the issue here. I think you’re actually in agreement with that but apparently looking for arguments.

Cook 26
Garza 21
Pemsl 18
Nunge 15

Heck it’s even hard to make a 4 man rotation work, much less the 6 man rotation we are trying right now.

I'm not trying to be confrontational towards you at all. To a couple others I have been. But not you. I even agree and want Nunge to play more. I also agree he has looked worse because he's playing the 3.

My post you just responded to is how I really feel tho. If Pemsl was playing like I think he's capable of, then there isn't a lot of time for Nunge to play through his issues. We would have Cook, Garza, and Pemsl all playing good if that was the case. This team isn't in a position to pull a player playing good for a freshman who lost confidence.

But unfortunately, that's not the case right now. Pemsl is having a sophomore slump. He can't seem to do anything right right now. I even rewatched the Illinois game and focused on him. I saw a few plays that were inexusably bad. One where a pass to him got stolen and he just stood there while the other 9 players ran down the court. When he finally started moving, he jogged back instead of hustled back. Even then he still got down in time to impact the play because of a missed layup. Instead he just stood their and let the guy lay it in. He was lazy three times in one play. You gotta try to do that.

All that said, I stand by my last post. Nunge should play more because Pemsl is playing so bad. But also I think you've seen my posts towards a couple other guys and read it with the same snarky intent. I doubt you will ever be on the receiving end of a post like that from me so if you ever think my response to you is snarky, you can safely assume it's not.

I'm not trying to be confrontational towards you at all. To a couple others I have been. But not you. I even agree and want Nunge to play more. I also agree he has looked worse because he's playing the 3.

My post you just responded to is how I really feel tho. If Pemsl was playing like I think he's capable of, then there isn't a lot of time for Nunge to play through his issues. We would have Cook, Garza, and Pemsl all playing good if that was the case. This team isn't in a position to pull a player playing good for a freshman who lost confidence.

But unfortunately, that's not the case right now. Pemsl is having a sophomore slump. He can't seem to do anything right right now. I even rewatched the Illinois game and focused on him. I saw a few plays that were inexusably bad. One where a pass to him got stolen and he just stood there while the other 9 players ran down the court. When he finally started moving, he jogged back instead of hustled back. Even then he still got down in time to impact the play because of a missed layup. Instead he just stood their and let the guy lay it in. He was lazy three times in one play. You gotta try to do that.

All that said, I stand by my last post. Nunge should play more because Pemsl is playing so bad. But also I think you've seen my posts towards a couple other guys and read it with the same snarky intent. I doubt you will ever be on the receiving end of a post like that from me so if you ever think my response to you is snarky, you can safely assume it's not.
Fair points.

Pemsl is struggling I don’t think anyone would deny that. I still have confidence in him because he’s proven he can do it.

The problem with the Nunge situation is kind of two pronged. Basically Fran wants everyone to play because he feels they deserve it (The majority of is us don’t feel that’s a winning strategy). So in order to play all the bigs we have, Fran is forced to play with some big lineups. Nunge has quicker feet and is a better shooter than Pemsl and Kriener, so naturally he is the one tasked with playing the 3, even though as we’ve have seen he’s not suited for that position. Basically Jack is being punished for his versatility.

Early in the year Fran realized that Nunge was a natural 4 and Jack had his best games playing the 4 with Cook starting at the 5. But then seemingly out of nowhere moved Nunge back to the 3, where he has struggled in very limited minutes lately. So we have people on here saying he’s struggling, but what I’m saying is that if he’s struggling it’s because Fran is asking him to play a position he is not suited for. If Jack struggled when he played the 4 it would be one thing, but he played pretty well from what I could tell.

Again the entire situation is quite baffling.

Fair points.

Pemsl is struggling I don’t think anyone would deny that. I still have confidence in him because he’s proven he can do it.

The problem with the Nunge situation is kind of two pronged. Basically Fran wants everyone to play because he feels they deserve it (The majority of is us don’t feel that’s a winning strategy). So in order to play all the bigs we have, Fran is forced to play with some big lineups. Nunge has quicker feet and is a better shooter than Pemsl and Kriener, so naturally he is the one tasked with playing the 3, even though as we’ve have seen he’s not suited for that position. Basically Jack is being punished for his versatility.

Early in the year Fran realized that Nunge was a natural 4 and Jack had his best games playing the 4 with Cook starting at the 5. But then seemingly out of nowhere moved Nunge back to the 3, where he has struggled in very limited minutes lately. So we have people on here saying he’s struggling, but what I’m saying is that if he’s struggling it’s because Fran is asking him to play a position he is not suited for. If Jack struggled when he played the 4 it would be one thing, but he played pretty well from what I could tell.

Again the entire situation is quite baffling.

I agree with all of that. The problem is, Garza has been playing great lately and so has Dailey. Right now, the only minutes Nunge can take are a couple from Wagner and Kriener, or more from Pemsl. If Pemsl was playing like he should be, that wouldn't be an option. So that leaves Wagner who hardly plays anyway (and when he does I think it's at the 3) and Kriener. Do you think he should take Kriener's minutes? I don't really know. I would lean towards yes tho.

I agree with all of that. The problem is, Garza has been playing great lately and so has Dailey. Right now, the only minutes Nunge can take are a couple from Wagner and Kriener, or more from Pemsl. If Pemsl was playing like he should be, that wouldn't be an option. So that leaves Wagner who hardly plays anyway (and when he does I think it's at the 3) and Kriener. Do you think he should take Kriener's minutes? I don't really know. I would lean towards yes tho.
Yes exactly. Right now those guys conference minutes per game look like this:

Nunge: 10
Wagner: 10
Kriener: 7 (missed one game)

So spread Wagner and Kriener’s ~17 minutes to Nunge, maybe Pemsl, and likely Dailey at the 3, and we are much better off.

By the way there is enough minutes available at the 4. Right now the other guys account for:
Cook: 29
Garza: 20
Pemsl: 17

That leaves about 14 minutes for Nunge at the 4. If he plays a few minutes at the 3 as well I think it’s manageable if we are in zone.

Cutting Wagner and Kriener from the rotation isn’t an easy move, as both have done some things in their careers, but it would probably be the right move for this team and future teams.

Yes exactly. Right now those guys conference minutes per game look like this:

Nunge: 10
Wagner: 10
Kriener: 7 (missed one game)

So spread Wagner and Kriener’s ~17 minutes to Nunge, maybe Pemsl, and likely Dailey at the 3, and we are much better off.

By the way there is enough minutes available at the 4. Right now the other guys account for:
Cook: 29
Garza: 20
Pemsl: 17

That leaves about 14 minutes for Nunge at the 4. If he plays a few minutes at the 3 as well I think it’s manageable if we are in zone.

Cutting Wagner and Kriener from the rotation isn’t an easy move, as both have done some things in their careers, but it would probably be the right move for this team and future teams.

Sounds good to me.

I'd much rather see more Nunge then Pemsl if not for this reason. Who thinks we've seen the best of Pemsl? And who thinks we've seen the best of Nunge? Both have years ahead of them to play/improve but as far as who's ceiling his higher and who's game is going to be better I can't see that debated. Pemsl can hustle, rebound and occasionally score around the basket (something he did better last yr than this one which is weird) All things Nunge should be able to do and then some. Put Nunge at the 4 this year and let him concentrate on that and play to his strengths. If he improves his overall game to play the 3 down the road great but he's clearly not to that point now. Playing kids out of position just to experiment doesn't work.

Latest posts