guard shooting too much?

Well our low post players aren't very skilled offensively, so I have no problems with the guards shooting as much as they do.

Mike took some quick three's and it seems we went away from White when he put the team on his back after Fran's exit. Dev took his share for sure, but I thought he was generally feeling it and didn't have many issues with the shots he put up.

Pushing the ball and upping the tempo was good IMO from Mike, but he can have trouble finishing inside. We need to have a game where Woody's shot doesn't roll out, Gabe finishes the putbacks that set Fran off, Whitey makes his two free throws, Mike hits the first of his one and one and so on. We're real close and if any of the above happen there is more pressure on Wisky and who knows how it might have ended.

We've just got to get it done and really step on good teams throats when we get them down. Until then we're an upper half league team and need a quality win or two to get a decent tourny seed.

A big thing that would help (besides the obvious free throw shooting) would be just finishing through contact. How many times did we earn a trip to the line when the shot looked good and rolled out or took an unfortunate bounce off the glass/rim? If we could start finishing those plays, the free throw shooting would be less of a problem.

6'3 Gasser was guarding White. Aaron White should have touched the ball every single time down the floor. Decker or Gasser couldnt handle White so Gesell decides he should fly into the lane and throw up crap down the stretch

The guard play off the bench has been hurting us more than anything.

Clemmons, Ogelsby and Jok have combines for 3 points in conference play. Our depth is supposed to be a strength and it hasn't been these last 2 games in conference play.

As a unit, our bench has scored 36 points in the 2 games, Uthoff leads the way with 17, followed by Gabe at 10 and McCabe with 7.

Basabe seems to have disappeared from the team. What has happened to him?

He defended Dekker last night and did a great job. He was focused on the defensive end and he did a good job on the boards. I have no problem with his game at all.

The guard play off the bench has been hurting us more than anything.

Clemmons, Ogelsby and Jok have combines for 3 points in conference play. Our depth is supposed to be a strength and it hasn't been these last 2 games in conference play.

As a unit, our bench has scored 36 points in the 2 games, Uthoff leads the way with 17, followed by Gabe at 10 and McCabe with 7.

Clemmons is average at best. He isn't even a better defensive pg than gesell, especially with the new rules. Oglesby still is getting into game speed. Jok will struggle all year, he is going to play the amount of time marble should have as a frosh except marble had to play because of the team talent at the time.

the biggest problem last night was they took us out of our game. We typically get lots of assists and we got pretty much none outside of mg.

He defended Dekker last night and did a great job. He was focused on the defensive end and he did a good job on the boards. I have no problem with his game at all.

Agreed. There was a time when he wouldn't have played defense without the offense. He has matured a great deal...under Fran I should add.

For the season:
White = 69/105 (65.7%)
Uthoff = 52/90 (57.8%)
Gesell = 34/90 (37.8%)

Big Game . . . White. .Uthoff. .GesellXavier = W . . 3/7 . . . 0/3 . . . 3/11
Nova = L . . .2/4 . . . 2/5 . . . 4/7
ND . . = W . . .7/9 . . . 4/6 . . . 3/6
ISU . .= L . . . 11/15 . 5/10 . . .4/8
Neb . .= W . . 5/10 . . 3/4 . . . 2/5
Wis . .= L . . .3/5 . . . 3/4 . . . 3/12

Gesell has shot more than White and Uthoff in 3 of those games -- and basically taken more shots than both of them combined in 3 of those games = 2 losses and a OT win. That's not a winning forumula.

6'3 Gasser was guarding White. Aaron White should have touched the ball every single time down the floor. Decker or Gasser couldnt handle White so Gesell decides he should fly into the lane and throw up crap down the stretch

This was something that should have been identified way before the game was played.

It was clearly not the game plan to exploit wisconsins lack of size in the post. Basabe, Utoff, and especialy White should have been posting all game.

Instead we tried to run against a team that plays 4 guards.

This was something that should have been identified way before the game was played.

It was clearly not the game plan to exploit wisconsins lack of size in the post. Basabe, Utoff, and especialy White should have been posting all game.

Instead we tried to run against a team that plays 4 guards.

I'm not really sure what our offensive game plan is at all, especially in the half court. Seems to be throw up junk and get easy put-backs or run around so much the other team eventually gets out of position which eventually leads to an open look.

Just shooting ft's in practice isn't the key to knocking them down under pressure. If you've got a flaw in your stroke and are working to change it practice pays dividends (see Woody). To put up a couple of hundred extra. ft's at the end of practice and after intense conditioning won't ensure you're any better when 15K are yelling at the end of the game and everyone knows the game is riding on you. It's more about either embracing the moment or being able to go to a calm mental state. Doing it successfully makes it easier too. With the new practice facility and normal practice routines I can guarantee the Hawkeye's are putting up up enough ft's in practice.

Mike has been just a little long off the back iron (too amped up) and Dev has had a bunch pop in and out.
I don't see major issues in either one's stroke. The problem isn't due to lack of practice it's between the ears. All of the talk on the message boards can't be making it any easier for them.

Until the Hawks have a consistent 3 pt shooter and develop and inside post game they will continue to lose a lot of close games in the Big. They've made huge strides during the past 3 seasons but it will be much harder to get to the next level without making improvement in the items mentioned.
On the flip side...I think the Hawks defense in the 1st half was the best I've seen out of them in a very long time.

All of the talk on the message boards can't be making it any easier for them.

LOL - and yet here you are...

By the way...shooting free throws in practice does help and talking about free throw shooting on a message board doesn't make it harder.

Latest posts