Gregg Doyel Blasts Iowa Football

I have a question that I've never really understood. Why do Iowa fans hold Doyle (S&C coach) is such high regard? Iowa players haven't tested well at the NFL combine and obviously have had conditioning issues. I don't understand the fascination with the guy. He seems adequate I guess but nothing special when it comes to results.

Doyle doesn't produce bench pressers and sprinters, on that you are right. What he does do is mold football players. 2 star players don't become All-americans and All-pros by accident. (and as soon as the bench press is moved to the field, I bet he will work on that.)

It's amusing seeing people jumping to conclusions w/out knowing the facts. The quantity admitted is what is concerning. The workouts are not. You all are nuts if you don't believe other schools have tough workouts such as these. If you do believe that, I also have some Iowa oceanfront property I'd like to sell you.

I know it's a message board and this topic makes for some good banter, but good lord, some need to think before posting.
So other schools have workouts that put 12 kids in the hospital... Um no. The reason that this is a national story is because it is not normal and the sheer number of guys hospitalized is a large number. again, this is not normal. Doyel, like normal, goes over the top but some serious questions should be asked as to why this occurred. You cannot say this happens everywhere or is normal. It just isn't.

I have a question that I've never really understood. Why do Iowa fans hold Doyle (S&C coach) is such high regard? Iowa players haven't tested well at the NFL combine and obviously have had conditioning issues. I don't understand the fascination with the guy. He seems adequate I guess but nothing special when it comes to results.

It comes from the number of walk-ons and 2 star prospects that have become all-conference, all-american and draft picks under Doyle, who has been here Ferentz' entire tenure.

We love the Gallery, Greenway, Sanders, etc stories of kids coming in here and busting their tails for 4-5 years and reaching a level that they may not have reached at other programs. Gallery was a 220 lb TE, Greenway was a 9- man HS QB and Sanders other D1 offer was from Ohio when they got on campus.

You're kidding right?

Do I really need to list the two star/walk-ons that became NFL players?

It's not just Iowa fans that think highly of him.

We didn't have "conditioning issues" until this year. And he's a big reason that we are able to take guys like Robert Gallery, Dallas Clark, etc. and turn them into college stars and NFL players.

Then why are we paying KF the $3mil+ per year and not Doyle? :rolleyes:

In the end, this kind of this just doesn't normally happen without some sort of outside influence. Unless you think natural disasters are normal.

For this to happen to 12 guys at once? Perhaps more guys affected to a lesser degree? No, simple overexertion as the explanation doesn't seem to cut it.

Then why are we paying KF the $3mil+ per year and not Doyle? :rolleyes:

Why is Gene Chizik making more than Gus Malzahn? Why is Joe Paterno making more than Tom Bradley?

Just because the guy is lower down the food chain doesn't mean what he brings to the table is less important.

Pretty professional bio...

Pretty obvious that this guy just drools over stuff like this.

Hi. Hello. Congratulations, you found me. And I know why you're here -- it's because of that column you just read. It angered you. So here you are, trying to decipher my motives.

I was born in Hawaii, raised in Oklahoma and Mississippi, went to high school in Wisconsin and Georgia, then attended University of Florida. If you can figure out why I ripped into your favorite team from those clues, more power to you.

As for your original question ... maybe I just don't like your favorite team. Ever think of that?

You're kidding right?

Do I really need to list the two star/walk-ons that became NFL players?

It's not just Iowa fans that think highly of him.
Not kidding at all. That explanation makes sense it just seems there are a lot of guys that weren't highly ranked highly from other schools (at OSU off the top of my head Hawk, Robiskie, Mangold, Holmes, were all rated 3* or lower).

Not kidding at all. That explanation makes sense it just seems there are a lot of guys that weren't highly ranked highly from other schools (at OSU off the top of my head Hawk, Robiskie, Mangold, Holmes, were all rated 3* or lower).

Obviously there are guys like that at other schools. I don't know who OSU's S&C coach is, but I've always given Tressel credit as a coach because of the guys you just listed, as well as quite a few more. He benefits from having great talent, but it's not like that's the only reason for his success. He's got quite a few of his own "rags to riches" stories (in terms of athletic performance).

SportstalkMatt's latest tweet:

Hey @greggdoyelcbs - the number I have for you is outdated. Do you want to do our radio show today in Des Moines to talk about Iowa?

Tune in to Hawk Hater Hour with Matt and Gregg only on KXnO!

SportstalkMatt's latest tweet:

Hey @greggdoyelcbs - the number I have for you is outdated. Do you want to do our radio show today in Des Moines to talk about Iowa?

Tune in to Hawk Hater Hour with Matt and Gregg only on KXnO!
Just when you thought Matt couldn't be a bigger D-Bag he sends that tweet and totally redeems himself.
That show would be fantastic....dbag on dbag. Maybe I will just watch Jersey Shore instead.

2 stars that have contributed significantly at Iowa since 2002 (earliest year that Rivals lists):

Mike Elgin
Jovon Johnson
Miguel Merrick
Marcus Paschal
Clinton Solomon
Scott Chandler
Mike Humpal
Andy Brodell
Bradley Fletcher
Charles Godfrey
Shonn Greene
Brandon Myers
Ryan Donahue
Karl Klug
Brett Morse
Amari Spievey
Mike Daniels
Allen Riesner
Adam Robinson
Jewel Hampton
Micah Hyde

Before 2002 Greenway, Gallery, Sanders and Clark were all 2 stars or walk ons. Anybody think of anyone else?

For those of you think this is inexcusable or whatever, I refer you to the scores of the Northwestern games the past three years and the score of the Minnesota game last year. Every one of those guys wants to be there and if they have problems with the strength and conditioning, next man in. They are all high motor guys, they went too hard. Doyle's amongst the best in the business and I'm glad that at least one guy on the staff isn't going to stand by and let these guys turn into a bunch of mama's boys like they did in the fourth quarter of 5 games last year.

I think people on both extremes are wrong. This isn't just a minor, unfortunate incident. It needs to be investigated, regardless of whether or not the coaching staff was negligent in some manner. 12 players were hospitalized for a potentially life threatening condition. That is not something we can simply ignore. Even if wasn't negligence, we should know what led to this, as it can be used to help prevent future cases, where perhaps we aren't lucky to have the players involved come through in safe and stable condition. Was it supplements? Was it drugs or alcohol? Was it some viral infection that exacerbated it?

On the flip side, an extreme reaction like "I WANT PEOPLE TO LOSE THEIR JOBS FOR THIS!" is pretty stupid until we have all the facts. Perhaps the 12 in question all had the flu, but decided to participate in the extremely strenuous workout. Perhaps it was just that for these 12, the workout level went from 0 to 11. Perhaps they had all gone out the night before and were still hungover.

Either way, we won't know until the coaches and the medical staff dig in a bit further.

Hell if we get to count 3 star players I'm pretty sure I could list a player at every position that was at least drafted (or will be drafted either this year or next)

QB: Stanzi
RB: Greene
WR:Kasper
WR:McNutt
TE:Chandler
TE:Clark
LT:Gallery
LG:Steinbach
C:Nelson
RG:Reiff
RT:Yanda
DE:Roth
DT: Babineaux
DT:Cole
DE:Kampman
LB:Greenway
LB:Angerer
LB:Hodge
CB:Godfrey
S:Sanders
S:Considine
CB:Speivey
K:Kaeding
P: Donahue

Where Iowa really excels is turning two/three star players into linemen, tight ends, or linebackers. Not much luck with quarterbacks and receivers though.

Jesus. Robert Gallery-signed as a tight end, NFL tackle. Jeff Tarpinian-high school QB, free agent NFL LB most likely. Christian Ballard-recruited tight end, most likely NFL DT. Enough reason. Wake up.

This Doyel guy should be sued. He says there was negligence in this case. There are actually people that believe this guy. What a joke. HawkeyeMike, you must be a marching band member.

Latest posts