Greg Davis recruiting

iahawks912

Is he a good recruiter? Does he have strong connections in Texas that could be beneficial down there?

According to Chip Brown he's got a great relationship with Texas HS coaches and the recruits liked his honest, down to earth approach very much.

Is he going to be able to sell Iowa in the same easy manner as Texas? I would say no. So maybe we get a couple of kids but its not like we will be pulling 4* guys left or right because of previous relationships he had, maybe a couple under the radar guys.

Iowa won't ever recruit like Texas but we have a guy with connections down there who can get recruits and combine it with a coach who has proven he can get kids in the NFL I could easily see our recruiting being pretty strong in the next few years.

Is he going to be able to sell Iowa in the same easy manner as Texas? I would say no. So maybe we get a couple of kids but its not like we will be pulling 4* guys left or right because of previous relationships he had, maybe a couple under the radar guys.

that's what iowa is doing right now in texas. i'd bet davis can do better.

Why would we care what Texas fan says about recruiting? Texas recruiting is largely one directional. Kids are knocking down the door to play in burnt orange. If anything, they spend some time guarding 4/5 star commits.

Greg Davis will learn what recruiting is at Iowa.

It's Iowa. Davis will not get any recruits from Texas that the Longhorns or Sooners want. However, he may be able to steal a few from A&M, Baylor, TCU, etc.

Sorta like Ohio, the Hawks aren't gonna get a kid the Bucks want.

Last edited:
Why would we care what Texas fan says about recruiting? Texas recruiting is largely one directional. Kids are knocking down the door to play in burnt orange. If anything, they spend some time guarding 4/5 star commits.

Greg Davis will learn what recruiting is at Iowa.

Are you suggesting we're not suddenly going to see a mass migration of 4/5 star talent from The Lone Star State to Iowa City? That's just preposterous. Pretty soon we're gonna have to start putting cattle gates on the interstate to keep out the talent that will want in Iowa City. Before long we'll be a household name in CFB recruiting, like USC, FL, Michigan and Iowa. Your negativity is not welcome on this board.

Don't undersell the value of connections. Recruiting is a sales campaign. You've got a Texas guy selling players on the value of attending Iowa and he might already have a little inside info from talking to a player's HS coach. That can be a big advantage that we don't currently have.

It doesn't mean you'll start reeling in recruits, but you never know what will change a kids mind and having a guy who talks like he's from all of the other Texas schools might be a bonus, might make a player feel a little more at home, he can show a kid the campus and compare/contrast with schools like Texas.

Supposedly a very lazy and poor recruiter.

This from UT fans and Iowa fans that have looked through the Rivals database.

Since Kirk is on record as saying he doesn't like his coordinators to be very involved with recruiting, I don't see how this changes things for Iowa at all on that front.

Latest posts