Greg Davis can't be playing with a full deck.

Can we finally put this stupid Texas fan thing to bed? What on earth has the Texas offense done since Greg was fired? Last time I checked he has a national title ring and the guy they brought in with some high octane offense is not exactly tearing things up. Now they are talking about firing everyone.

I also have one word for Texas fans and their new offense post Davis; BAYLOR

If the internet would have been around in 1985, within 5 minutes after Houghtlin's kick someone would have started a thread ******** about the offensive play calling.

If the internet would have been around in 1985, within 5 minutes after Houghtlin's kick someone would have started a thread ******** about the offensive play calling.

Exactly.

This is one of the dumbest posts in the history of this message board.

My Lord, Iowa gets over 400 yards against one of the best defenses in the United States, comes back from 14 points down to beat Michigan on Senior Day, and people still complain? Man, find another team to follow. You are a MORON

75 plays. 400+ yds of offense. 170 yds rushing against one of the best run d's in the conference.

If not for the missed field goal and botched one, we score 30 against one of the better defenses in the league.

I must have watched a different game. Gd has been frusrating at times. This game wasnt one of them.

But GD does some weird play calling also,

But GD does some weird play calling also,

The flea flicker against the wind (Jake isn't exactly a cannon back there) semed odd. We had just run the ball out of the shadow of our endzone and had momentum and he tries that. With thte wind maybe but against it????

75 plays. 400+ yds of offense. 170 yds rushing against one of the best run d's in the conference.

If not for the missed field goal and botched one, we score 30 against one of the better defenses in the league.

I must have watched a different game. Gd has been frusrating at times. This game wasnt one of them.

I think we did or have a different definition of frustration

I thought there were some great calls today - the skinny post to Smith for the TD, the wide zone run by Bullock on 3rd and 10, and the play action to Smith on the first play of the winning drive, to name a few.

I had no problem with the play calling. I think we did a nice job of mixing run and pass. It is up to the players to execute... Overall, I thought Davis called a nice game.

and???

Iowa won the game, but that doesn't take away the times that GD looks like he has never watched football, let alone coached it.

I dont really get this comment. Iowa had over 400 yards offense. What more do you want? That doesnt happen a lot around here. Especially when the QB throws 3 picks...

how dare Michigan stop Iowa on a few plays! I has to be because Iowa ran the wrong play. Just maaaaybe UM played good defense on those plays. Don't forget a very informed player down there always has the option of audibling out of a play. He knows what he's looking for out there before the snap of the ball. They don't just call a play like pee wee footbal and go run it without looking at what the defense is showing.

It still feels like Davis zigs when he should zag. Maybe I am just too knee jerk this year myself and that could well be, but it feels like Iowa just gets too cute sometimes.

It still feels like Davis zigs when he should zag. Maybe I am just too knee jerk this year myself and that could well be, but it feels like Iowa just gets too cute sometimes.

The difference for me is that i dont think the playcalling on offense has cost us a game this year. Definitely cant say that about past years. In addition, we have 6 games this year when weve gone for 400+ yds of total offense. Whens the last year that happened? 2002? If we can get our red zone ineffeciency solved next year (and i think we can with a more experienced Ruddock and another year under Davis' belt) then this will be a dangerous offense. No issues moving the ball between the 20s at all....

Like a naked bootleg near your own endzone or repeatedly running Weisman off tackle, or running the ball when you have 24 seconds and only 1 timeout on 1st down.

The players and defensive coaching won this game. They won in spite of offensive coaching.

It's not necessarily bad play calling, but using Weisman consistently on stretch plays is poor use of personnel. Sure let him run outside the tackles every once in a while, but Canzeri and Bullock should be running the bulk of the stretch plays. Save Weisman for the in between the tackles work.

I agree with the naked bootleg being the wrong call as well. It was the right call on the last drive (although I think it was designed as a QB keeper but CJ was wide open). Didn't Stanzi get hurt running a naked bootleg inside Iowa's own 30?

It's not necessarily bad play calling, but using Weisman consistently on stretch plays is poor use of personnel. Sure let him run outside the tackles every once in a while, but Canzeri and Bullock should be running the bulk of the stretch plays. Save Weisman for the in between the tackles work.

I agree with the naked bootleg being the wrong call as well. It was the right call on the last drive (although I think it was designed as a QB keeper but CJ was wide open). Didn't Stanzi get hurt running a naked bootleg inside Iowa's own 30?

I'm still convinced that naked boot was the first play of the 10-15 play ****** to start the game...

You mean inside their own 10 in 2009 vs NW. May have cost Iowa an undefeated season. But that was KOK no GD.

The difference for me is that i dont think the playcalling on offense has cost us a game this year. Definitely cant say that about past years. In addition, we have 6 games this year when weve gone for 400+ yds of total offense. Whens the last year that happened? 2002? If we can get our red zone ineffeciency solved next year (and i think we can with a more experienced Ruddock and another year under Davis' belt) then this will be a dangerous offense. No issues moving the ball between the 20s at all....

Play calling cost us the NIU game. We could have easily run down their throat all day but we got too cute.

I would give this game a B+ for play calling, pretty good overall. We really dominated Michigan if not for the turnovers and those were on Rudock.

I liked that we threw the ball a lot out of running formations and didn't go shotgun that much (I'd prefer even less). We had 168 yards rushing against a good defense (were 60% run) and Rudock averaged 8.0 ypa (which is very good).

Latest posts