Greg Davis can't be playing with a full deck.

Play calling cost us the NIU game. We could have easily run down their throat all day but we got too cute.

I would give this game a B+ for play calling, pretty good overall. We really dominated Michigan if not for the turnovers and those were on Rudock.

I liked that we threw the ball a lot out of running formations and didn't go shotgun that much (I'd prefer even less). We had 168 yards rushing against a good defense (were 60% run) and Rudock averaged 8.0 ypa (which is very good).

Really running that naked boot deep in our on end zone yet again was Ruddock's fault....yeah ok

It still feels like Davis zigs when he should zag. Maybe I am just too knee jerk this year myself and that could well be, but it feels like Iowa just gets too cute sometimes.

a bit more talent and experience out there with guys who can make plays and he'd look like a genious.

Remember Norm Chow?

Notice the 2 plays he actually used Powell today....we run jet sweep 8 yards....never saw it all year won't see it again...but we run the -2 yd stretch play with Weisman better than anybody!

No kidding Einstein? The naked boot was a BAD call..he threw the pick because it was a bad call

Really running that naked boot deep in our on end zone yet again was Ruddock's fault....yeah ok

Michigan blitzed on that play. If they don't blitz, that is a wide open play. The OC can't know everytime the
D will bring a blitz off the weakside.

Michigan blitzed on that play. If they don't blitz, that is a wide open play. The OC can't know everytime the
D will bring a blitz off the weakside.

IT WAS A BAD PLAY CALL DEEP IN OUR END it resulted in a TD for the other team. If you watched the game we tried it again going to the fullback almost resulting in another TO....of course they were blitzing they saw our formation and probably knew that's what we were going to do.

Notice the 2 plays he actually used Powell today....we run jet sweep 8 yards....never saw it all year won't see it again...but we run the -2 yd stretch play with Weisman better than anybody!

I thought Greg Davis called a good game, and Jake audibled into a lot of those stretch plays.
But you right, "we run the -2 yd stretch play with Weisman better than anybody!"

IT WAS A BAD PLAY CALL DEEP IN OUR END it resulted in a TD for the other team. If you watched the game we tried it again going to the fullback almost resulting in another TO....of course they were blitzing they saw our formation and probably knew that's what we were going to do.

I love the fans that think whatever we dial up and run is supposed to just dominate the other team. Michigan has lots of good players, a good DC, and they called a blitz when we ran that play. You think they called that blitz AFTER we set our formation?

Results = if the play call was good or bad. Unfortunately when you call a play, there is no guarantee that the D isn't in the perfect D to defend it. Nit picking over 1-5 play calls a game is the lowest form of fan stupiditiy. I get it if the OC calls a terrible game the whole time, but that simply didn't happen and you are nit picking 1 play. Well I hate to break it to ya, but the D and DC are gonna make more than 1 play a game against us.

I get the first call. All year Iowa has run stretch left with Weisman on the 1st play (at least it seems that way). Naked bootleg is outside-the-box call off stretch left. Michigan played it well. Jake shouldn't have thrown it. The Michigan fans around us loved the call. They kept calling for it.

I thought Davis called a good game overall.

Their disdain for their HC and OC trumps Hawk fans disdain for their HC and OC. They got real quiet when Smith scored the TD. They couldn't believe how Iowa was dominating and how Iowa's turnovers were giving Michigan the game. They were really dumb-founded how easily Iowa was rolling Michigan's defense. And they were "frustrated" that Funchess was not dominating Iowa's DBs. That dude is huge.

Where we were standing was a fun place in the second half.

The offense stepped up and kept their defense on the field. Iowa had the edge in 1st downs and most offensive stats throughout the game. This was actually one of GD's better called games. Michigan for all of it's offensive problems has a decent defense. And Iowa moved the ball on them all game. Without the INT's the game would have been a blow out. And you can argue that the wind and bad luck/execution where more that culprit than Greg Davis's game plan.

Face it, the gamblers (fans?) are pisssed the hawks didn't cover. The Cyclones know they'll never get Iowa recruits and win consistently unless Ferentz leaves, so their fans flock to the Iowa board to pretend to be fans while bashing the Hawks. There's the under 21 "me Now!!" posters who demand perfection while spewing their crap. Every game there will be a dozen plays that don't work and they'll isolate them and cry the play calling was stupid & baffling. Fanatics maybe, fans no!

Why is nobody defending the 20 second drill running play with slow bullock? If you notice the timing of the post, that was the real culprit.

It is like GD sits up there and thinks "nobody would ever suspect this" but he misses the fact that they don't suspect it bince it is a stupid play call.

I also have one word for Texas fans and their new offense post Davis; BAYLOR

And I have one word for you: Oklahoma State. Okie State was the first legitimate, top 15 team Baylor played this season.
Baylor is a sham. Gimmick. Fly by night. They are very lucky teams like Oklahoma, Texas and K-State suck this year. Yes, Oklahoma & Texas are very average. Pains me to say it, but Baylor would be a 3 or 4 loss team in the SEC. Awful non-conference schedule and a very down Big 12 = a nice season for Baylor. Their offense is a good fit for their schedule and where they play. Please stop using Baylor as some kind of pinnacle to shoot for.

It is amazing how low the offensive standards for Iowa have become. I don't expect our OC to be chip Kelly, I just wish we had someone that consistently played to his teams and players strengths. Even when GD shows signs of figuring that out, he does something that makes people shake their head. We have a slow rb? Run him in space. We have the wind at our back? Better run. We have the wind in our face? Better throw deep. We dominate with 3 TEs? Better run five wide.

I get the first call. All year Iowa has run stretch left with Weisman on the 1st play (at least it seems that way). Naked bootleg is outside-the-box call off stretch left. Michigan played it well. Jake shouldn't have thrown it. The Michigan fans around us loved the call. They kept calling for it.

I thought Davis called a good game overall.

Their disdain for their HC and OC trumps Hawk fans disdain for their HC and OC. They got real quiet when Smith scored the TD. They couldn't believe how Iowa was dominating and how Iowa's turnovers were giving Michigan the game. They were really dumb-founded how easily Iowa was rolling Michigan's defense. And they were "frustrated" that Funchess was not dominating Iowa's DBs. That dude is huge.

Where we were standing was a fun place in the second half.

That dude (Funchess) dropped 3 or 4 passes. Maybe make a good d-end.

Hopefully Greg Davis has time to read all these comments and criticisms while he's sitting in Florida preparing Iowa for a New Year's Day Bowl game.

Latest posts