Great Use of a Bye Week

allup86

Q. What is the biggest challenge to trying to incorporate two quarterbacks in an already struggling offense? COACH FERENTZ: We'll find out, I guess. We're not even sure what the plan is right now totally. Bottom line we've got two guys that we feel good about. Sound like a broken record on this one. Both guys have played well. Jake's done a great job for us, and C.J., when called upon, has really played well too. We'll just try to figure out the best way to work it.
Q. Will you have a strict plan or do you just go by feel?

COACH FERENTZ: We'll have something by Saturday, for sure. But they're both going to play. We have total confidence in both guys.

You know what I like most about this staff? Decisiveness.

[h=3][/h]

Why play his hand?

If you can't read the most basic of coach speak, I dunno what to tell ya. Jake starts, he's done nothing to lose that right. If the offense doesn't gel, CJ will get a shot early. They'll ride the hot hand. If Jake plays great and they get a lead, CJ will get in later in the game.

This is not as hard as everyone wants to make it.

I don't know why so many people try to take his pressers literally.
Whenever he says "I don't know" he knows.
Whenever he says "We'll figure it out" they already have a plan.

If nothing else I hope the bye week provided a chance for CJ to get more reps with the first team and get their timing down.

I think the biggest benefit of the bye is we get a chance to have our D get prepared for the spread offenses we are going to see each of the next 3 games (Indiana, Maryland, NW). One of the hidden benefits of this schedule has been getting those three teams "back to back to back". With another bye after Maryland we should be very well prepared to demolish Fitzy and NW at Kinnick.

Whenever he says "I'm not smart enough to figure that out." he means "I can't believe you're not smart enough to figure that out."

There are 2 rules to success:
1. Never tell everything you know.

KF knows exactly what he is doing this week. JR is starter and CJ might, might get a series or 2 IMO that is it.

Last edited:
I know. People expect KF to share his game plan during this pressers but KF has his PHD in Coachspeak

I am not certain Rudock is starting. Odds are indiana is guessing at this point too. But I am not sure if its a master plan of deception either.

That's the best part of when someone is "playing" dumb. You can't tell what he knows. Maybe he really does not know.

Why play his hand?

If you can't read the most basic of coach speak, I dunno what to tell ya. Jake starts, he's done nothing to lose that right. If the offense doesn't gel, CJ will get a shot early. They'll ride the hot hand. If Jake plays great and they get a lead, CJ will get in later in the game.

This is not as hard as everyone wants to make it.

We shouldn't ever have to worry about tipping our hand to Indiana. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell ya.

Oh Jeeze, some of you guys are bestowing more intelligence on Ferentz than he really has. Ferentz should start CJB because CJB is the better QB. But no, he isn't starting because Rudock's QB style fits more into what Ferentz wants (game manager). Anyone (that includes the Indiana coaching staff) who has seen any Iowa games under KF knows Rudock will start. CJB will not get any meaningful snaps... in other words, if the game is tied in the fourth, Rudock will be the QB. If you consider Rudock's body of work in the first 3 1/2 games this season, he shouldn't be starting.

Another thing. Some of you guys heaped all kinds of criticism on other Iowa coaches... Davis, KOK... But are reluctant to criticize KF. Why?

It's a rare thing to see a player or coach say anything anymore that's not rehearsed. What happened to the days when Charles Barkley would do an interview.

I absolutely hate when he says,

"It’s really hard to regulate anybody’s feelings or monitor it. I’m not that smart."

Really?? You make how much to be a head coach? It's either that or his memory.

Latest posts