Great Coaching Job Fran

WinOneThisCentury

In the first half they worked the ball and got shots around the basket the entire half...the defense wasn't great, but they moved the ball and took advantage of their size. The second half....7-8 one or two pass shots to start the half...and he doesn't call a timeout to chew some ass.

We have a major size advantage...Fran should have told that team we get the ball to the post and we work until it happens. The goal is to foul out their smaller big men. VT played man nearly the whole freaking game...go big and post up the freaking guards and forwards. That was the worst coached half of basketball I've ever seen.

If I was the AD, I would have forced Fran to bring a defensive coach onto his staff and make some changes. Our defense is still terrible.

I actually thought we were getting okay looks in the 2H but nobody was making them. Had two or three threes rattle in and out and missed 3 or 4 bunnies. Those misses usually led to transitions the other way unfortunately.

Hard to do anything when the other team is so physical. One play I noticed Bohannon tossed a lob pass into Garza and he jumped straight up to grab it. He was going to have the ball in good position to score. Instead the defender two handed shoved him in the back while he was in the air so he landed 3 feet out from where he should have. Little things like that being allowed on one side can kill a team.

Hard to do anything when the other team is so physical. One play I noticed Bohannon tossed a lob pass into Garza and he jumped straight up to grab it. He was going to have the ball in good position to score. Instead the defender two handed shoved him in the back while he was in the air so he landed 3 feet out from where he should have. Little things like that being allowed on one side can kill a team.

Playing finesse like our guys do will get you beat sometimes

I actually thought we were getting okay looks in the 2H but nobody was making them. Had two or three threes rattle in and out and missed 3 or 4 bunnies. Those misses usually led to transitions the other way unfortunately.

Drain 3 wide open 3s and make some layups and it's a close game without us even shooting good. Then they had two free throws take crazy bounces and go in. One of them cost us 4 points because they missed the next one, got the rebound, and made a 3. Sooo much bad shit tonight, but lots of unlucky shit too.

Fran does not have a complete team....yet again. Far to many tweeners that are not really post players, forwards, guards, etc. Overall, certainly more athletic than Lick teams, but incomplete.

But he needs a true point guard and a true center (like 6-10 to 7 foot and 235-240, a big freaking body to take up space).

Read on another board that someone said Fran said in the Cayman's he is not recruiting primarly for the half-court....he said he is recruiting to make this team a transition team and getting their points in transition. Well, if that is the case, this team is going to get run out of the gym.

To many guys playing out of position. And, bad, bad, defensive fundamentals.

Fran does not have a complete team....yet again. Far to many tweeners that are not really post players, forwards, guards, etc. Overall, certainly more athletic than Lick teams, but incomplete.

But he needs a true point guard and a true center (like 6-10 to 7 foot and 235-240, a big freaking body to take up space).

Read on another board that someone said Fran said in the Cayman's he is not recruiting primarly for the half-court....he said he is recruiting to make this team a transition team and getting their points in transition. Well, if that is the case, this team is going to get run out of the gym.

To many guys playing out of position. And, bad, bad, defensive fundamentals.
Bingo, I would add that the guys we do have are poorly coached.

The good news is is that the big ten stinks beyond a team or two. Bad news is Iowa could easily finish in the top 6, but they have no shot at making the tourney whatsoever as the leagues non conference performance has been pathetic at best. So without question staying above 500 and getting to the Not Invited Tournament is alot like football IMO.

That was the first time I've seen Iowa play this year. My observations:

• Nunge should be playing as many minutes as possible. He shows a better basketball IQ than anyone on the team.
  • Wagner can't play a ton of minutes...I like that he's one of the few that is a good defensive player, but he does nothing on offensive for this team.
  • I liked the bulkier Pemsl...and I didn't like the cuteness around the basket. Power was your game.
  • Dailey is not the answer at point...Connor plays when healthy.

I'm still can't believe Fran let us get down 10 prior to the timeout in that second half. If a team is making a run on their home floor, you have to get something going to the basket and score or get fouled. We just kept launching. I honestly think this team may think they are better than they are. Getting kicked in the teeth is probably good for them.

In the first half they worked the ball and got shots around the basket the entire half...the defense wasn't great, but they moved the ball and took advantage of their size. The second half....7-8 one or two pass shots to start the half...and he doesn't call a timeout to chew some ass.

We have a major size advantage...Fran should have told that team we get the ball to the post and we work until it happens. The goal is to foul out their smaller big men. VT played man nearly the whole freaking game...go big and post up the freaking guards and forwards. That was the worst coached half of basketball I've ever seen.

If I was the AD, I would have forced Fran to bring a defensive coach onto his staff and make some changes. Our defense is still terrible.

That and you maybe get some fouls on the other team which doesn't hurt. They scored 17 pts the 2nd half. 17!! I know VT is a decent team, but not that good.

I've been typing and saying this for years ... He, nor any of his assistants, understand the post position, therefore, he, nor any of his assistants are effective at properly recruiting it or teaching it, let alone, strategically utilizing it as THEE fundamental offensive weapon to create mismatches, size advantages and open up your perimeter shooters. He treats his 4's and 5's as if they were taller 3's and they usually play like it -- finesse, weak intent to score, soft and unimposing, more face-up than back-to.

My goodness, have you read the bios of his staff?? All guards. If that's not limiting your skill set enough, with the exception of Speraw's stint as a Florida assistant, they're all small time on coaching and playing experience.

Was my first look at the team this year, and wow, yes, a rather unsavory product at the moment. We've taken a couple steps backwards from where we were last year, and I don't understand that at all.

A lot of coaches on the staff with the hollering head coach, and I they don't give the appearance of knowing their craft. I know they'll get better but something for sure is missing from the staff to start so poorly each year and have the poor defensive performance to start each year under Fran.

Will be hard to get any worse than what we saw yesterday though, so that's good!

Was my first look at the team this year, and wow, yes, a rather unsavory product at the moment. We've taken a couple steps backwards from where we were last year, and I don't understand that at all.

A lot of coaches on the staff with the hollering head coach, and I they don't give the appearance of knowing their craft. I know they'll get better but something for sure is missing from the staff to start so poorly each year and have the poor defensive performance to start each year under Fran.

Will be hard to get any worse than what we saw yesterday though, so that's good!

Well even if we don’t get worse we will soon be playing much better teams. If we just maintain the level where we are currently at we will get butchered in our own conference.

I think Fran maybe good at bringing a team from the dumps to being a little respectable but don't know if he can take us to the next level. After over 55 years of being a Hawkeye fan it's time I face the facts that Iowa in football and basketball is always going to be average or at least most of the time. I no longer have any expectations on how they will do I'll watch all the games I can and just sit and figure we have maybe a 50-50 chance of winning. Maybe Dan Gable would make a good AD. I don't think he would accept mediocrity.

I think Fran maybe good at bringing a team from the dumps to being a little respectable but don't know if he can take us to the next level. After over 55 years of being a Hawkeye fan it's time I face the facts that Iowa in football and basketball is always going to be average or at least most of the time. I no longer have any expectations on how they will do I'll watch all the games I can and just sit and figure we have maybe a 50-50 chance of winning. Maybe Dan Gable would make a good AD. I don't think he would accept mediocrity.

Welcome to the club. Over fifty years of following the Hawkeyes and I feel the same exact way.

I honestly think this team may think they are better than they are. Getting kicked in the teeth is probably good for them.

The last 4 years, we have started the season without our best player. I've always attributed slow starts to that. But maybe they always spend the off season hearing how good they are from Fran and it gives them big heads? I've always liked the way Fran pimps his players up. But maybe this is the downside of it.

Latest posts