Great Coaching Job Fran

I still believe the 18-19 season will be a special season. That being said I am starting to waffle a little bit on if this years team is a tournament team. They will have to win double digit games in conference and a couple of games in the BTT to get into the tournament.

I honestly don't think we are tough enough and Fran doesn't instill that in his players. I watched clips of Kentucky players doing rebounding drills. It was a freaking blood bath. Not alot of fouls stopping play...ball goes up and it's a fight to get it over and over and over. These guys were exhausted and Cal (whom I hate) was chewing ass calling them pussies the whole way.

Listen, we started slow last year...got absolutely destroyed by Virginia early and then became a pretty good team...by the end of the year. But, 90% of those guys are back...you don't let VT happen if you have progressed. Granted, Baer wasn't Baer yet...he's lost too much time...but damn...uncontested layups and not a lot of battle in our boys.

I honestly don't think we are tough enough and Fran doesn't instill that in his players. I watched clips of Kentucky players doing rebounding drills. It was a freaking blood bath. Not alot of fouls stopping play...ball goes up and it's a fight to get it over and over and over. These guys were exhausted and Cal (whom I hate) was chewing ass calling them pussies the whole way.

Listen, we started slow last year...got absolutely destroyed by Virginia early and then became a pretty good team...by the end of the year. But, 90% of those guys are back...you don't let VT happen if you have progressed. Granted, Baer wasn't Baer yet...he's lost too much time...but damn...uncontested layups and not a lot of battle in our boys.

I think the battle was fine. They just missed shots in the 2nd half. Except for the FTs/FG %, most of the stats are fairly even:
- rebounds = Iowa 44 (14 for Pemsl in 21 minutes), V T40
- turnovers = Iowa 14, VT 10
- assists = Iowa 11 (Pemsl had 6 himself), VT 16
- steals = Iowa 5, VT 6
- free throws = Iowa 6-10, VT 22-28 (you will see this in road games)
- FG% = Iowa 22-66 (33%), VT 25-58 (43%)

Iowa started the 2nd half 1-19 shooting, finished shooting 19% in 2nd half. That's the ballgame.

Fran in his presser this week about VT.

"They went on a little run, we got a little three happy, instead of moving the ball like we wanted to and mixing up our post feeds and jump shots, stuff you’ve got to learn from. We didn’t play with the same level of concentration we needed to in the second half and started launching. Sometimes you can hit a few and get back in it quick, and sometimes it makes it worse, and that’s what happened."

Exactly what I was saying in the original post. I'm not patting myself in the back. Did Fran have to watch the damn tape to figure this out is my question. If anyone had any balls in the press conference, they should have asked. "Do you know what a freaking time out is for Fran? Did you think about calling one of those when your team started launching after 1 pass? Or did you have to watch it 7 times down the floor before you figured it out? Or did you think it was best to wait until you were 12 down on the road in a hostile environment?"

Why does the Iowa media give him a pass? I don't care how many kids he has. That was abysmal coaching. I would have also asked him...you have the ability to go big...did you think about going big and posting up their smaller forwards with Pemsl / Kreiner / and Cook?

The Iowa media is a bunch of pussies. They are so intimidated by Fran it's ridiculous. Read the questions...all about the players...nothing about his shitty coaching job. I'm not asking to ride him out of town. I actually like Fran. I'm asking you to hold him accountable when he screws up...which he did on the road against VT. You can rest assure that Izzo would have had his team on a short leash if they started launching from three with a size advantage and you abandon a game plan to start a half. It wouldn't take you going down 12 to get that time out.

Last edited:
Fran in his presser this week about VT.

"They went on a little run, we got a little three happy, instead of moving the ball like we wanted to and mixing up our post feeds and jump shots, stuff you’ve got to learn from. We didn’t play with the same level of concentration we needed to in the second half and started launching. Sometimes you can hit a few and get back in it quick, and sometimes it makes it worse, and that’s what happened."

Exactly what I was saying in this initial post. I'm not patting myself in the back. Did Fran have to watch the damn tape to figure this out is my question. If anyone had any balls in the press conference, they should have asked. "Do you know what a freaking time out is for Fran? Did you think about calling one of those when your team started launching after 1 pass? Or did you have to watch it 7 times down the floor before you figured it out? Or did you think it was best to wait until you were 12 down on the road in a hostile environment?"

Why does the Iowa media give him a pass? I don't care how many kids he has. That was abysmal coaching. I would have also asked him...you have the ability to go big...did you think about going big and posting up their smaller forwards with Pemsl / Kreiner / and Cook?

From the play by play, the biggest play may have been Cook's 3rd foul. Cook had made a jumper and it was 42-40 VT leading with 17:08 remaining when Cook fouled. Cook goes out of the game and VT scores the next 8 points and it is 50-40 and Iowa called a timeout with 15:38 left.

They play for 27 seconds, and there's a TV timeout at 15:11. Iowa is in the midst of missing 17 straight shots. Iowa doesn't score again until Cook returns and makes a FT with 12:52 to go. Iowa keeps missing shots, VT keeps scoring and Iowa calls another timeout with 11:46 to go (it's also a media TO). Iowa doesn't score a FG until Cooks dunks with 11:07 to go.

Someone besides Cook scores in the 2nd half when Dailey scores with 4:57 left. I don't think Cook can be off the floor with 2 fouls in the 1st half or 3 fouls early in the 2nd. He is the one player who can score consistently. Hopefully the coaching staff learns from this.

From the play by play, the biggest play may have been Cook's 3rd foul. Cook had made a jumper and it was 42-40 VT leading with 17:08 remaining when Cook fouled. Cook goes out of the game and VT scores the next 8 points and it is 50-40 and Iowa called a timeout with 15:38 left.

They play for 27 seconds, and there's a TV timeout at 15:11. Iowa is in the midst of missing 17 straight shots. Iowa doesn't score again until Cook returns and makes a FT with 12:52 to go. Iowa keeps missing shots, VT keeps scoring and Iowa calls another timeout with 11:46 to go (it's also a media TO). Iowa doesn't score a FG until Cooks dunks with 11:07 to go.

Someone besides Cook scores in the 2nd half when Dailey scores with 4:57 left. I don't think Cook can be off the floor with 2 fouls in the 1st half or 3 fouls early in the 2nd. He is the one player who can score consistently. Hopefully the coaching staff learns from this.

I thought Lightning said Fran didn't call a timeout until they were down 19 .

I think the battle was fine. They just missed shots in the 2nd half. Except for the FTs/FG %, most of the stats are fairly even:
- rebounds = Iowa 44 (14 for Pemsl in 21 minutes), V T40
- turnovers = Iowa 14, VT 10
- assists = Iowa 11 (Pemsl had 6 himself), VT 16
- steals = Iowa 5, VT 6
- free throws = Iowa 6-10, VT 22-28 (you will see this in road games)
- FG% = Iowa 22-66 (33%), VT 25-58 (43%)

Iowa started the 2nd half 1-19 shooting, finished shooting 19% in 2nd half. That's the ballgame.

Stats dont mean much in a blow out. Usually bad shooting is a sign of bigger issues. 1-19 isnt about poor shooting. Its about something being broken. If you go say 1-7 you do something different like drive the lane, go inside, play faster.

If it was 15 points or even 20 you might hsve a small case. We got beat soundly by 2 not very strong teams and then crushed by the first real team

Latest posts