Grant Gibbs leaving Gonzaga?

lick got in pretty late on gibbs...alford recruited him mainly.

IIRC, gibbs loved mcdermott.

Gibbs was maybe a 1/2 inch to inch taller than Gatens but he was a really long player kind of like Jake Kelly.

I would say Gibbs was a tad better athlete than Gatens in terms of his first step and jumping ability. Gatens was physically stronger than Gibbs though.

Gibbs might be better off at an MVC school. I don't know how he has developed the past couple years strength wise and basketball ability wise.

I think he had the body/potential to be a solid role player in the Big 10/Big 12. I don't know what he really offers now.

Gibbs was maybe a 1/2 inch to inch taller than Gatens but he was a really long player kind of like Jake Kelly.

I would say Gibbs was a tad better athlete than Gatens in terms of his first step and jumping ability. Gatens was physically stronger than Gibbs though.

Gibbs might be better off at an MVC school. I don't know how he has developed the past couple years strength wise and basketball ability wise.

I think he had the body/potential to be a solid role player in the Big 10/Big 12. I don't know what he really offers now.

From what I saw in a couple of games where he actually played for the Zags, I'd say he was decent but not outstanding in every category: Decent athlete, decent handle, decent shot. Maybe a little below decent on defense.

Really not someone I'd get fired up about as a transfer. Agree that he'd probably fit better at a MVC school, esp. if he wants to be assured of PT.

I'd prefer that he didn't go to ISU. I think Creighton with maybe UNI if he left Gonzaga to get closer to home.

Last edited:
I wonder if he is the type of athlete Fran wants to turn over this roster. He is already strapped with a few guys that may not be the best of athletes, I dont see him offering Gibbs a full ride. My guess is Creighton.

I saw him get some decent minutes in the game in which the Zags had their very long unbeaten string in conference games broken. It was a multiple-OT affair and one of the bext college hoops games I saw all season.

Gibbs is only a soph and has struggled with injuries, but I didn't see anything in that game (in which he appeared to be fully healthy) that would make him particularly exciting to me as a possible transfer. He played hard but not exceptionally well.

Freddy:
I saw the same game and like you I was not impressed. However, he had a serious leg injury his freshman year and it now appears to me he has lost some of the athleticism he demonstrated in high school.

Freddy:
I saw the same game and like you I was not impressed. However, he had a serious leg injury his freshman year and it now appears to me he has lost some of the athleticism he demonstrated in high school.

He also had an injury his senior year. I think it was a broken wrist.

My uncle who is a former Phillips 66 B'ball player from the 60's and lives across the street from his family told me that he thinks that Grant would be a great prospect for the Hawkeyes. He is a huge Linn-Mar fan and watched Grant play from the Jr. High level up to when he left to play for Gonzaga. He would be a good get, and would add some quality depth to our depleted backcourt. My uncle is a huge Hawk fan, and knows B'ball.

Latest posts