Grad Transfers Available

When I look at the number of outstanding guards now playing in the NCAA tournament, and many of them at lower seed schools, I cannot believe that there aren't some great ones out there, both in the transfer world and in the overall recruiting world. I think that unless there is a really solid transfer to the guard position, we should play the long game and work hard to look for and find a diamond in the rough, or better yet, two diamonds, and bring them on with 4-5 years of Iowa basketball. Iowa football seems to be able to achieve this magic from time to time.

I figured now that we have a scholarship open we can talk about possible grad transfer Iowa can go after. One name that pops up a lot is Geno Crandall from North Dakota. Who else might be available for the Hawks to go after?

i would not be unhappy if this kid winds up at Iowa.

When USC played Iowa in 1982 Gerry Wright, then playing for USC, sucker punched Steve Carfino. That didn't stop Raveling from making him one of his first new additions. Or Wright from quickly becoming a fan favorite when he became eligible. Endless supplies of highlight reel dunks didn't hurt the cause either.
I've never heard this before. For realz?

Right meow and over the next few weeks as the tournaments come to an end is when all the transferring starts, Iowa is good position by opening up spots early. Here's one that would change Iowa next season drastically.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/...ixte-to-leave-umaine-mens-basketball-program/
He’s an interesting one. Definitely got the quickness some hope for, however he had 121 turnovers last year and only 101 assists. He’s a scorer by trade which isn’t exactly what we need. No idea on his defense. It’s hard to say not knowing anything about his supporting cast.

He’s an interesting one. Definitely got the quickness some hope for, however he had 121 turnovers last year and only 101 assists. He’s a scorer by trade which isn’t exactly what we need. No idea on his defense. It’s hard to say not knowing anything about his supporting cast.
Damn, Locure almost had that many steals this year in only 24 games..

Right meow and over the next few weeks as the tournaments come to an end is when all the transferring starts, Iowa is good position by opening up spots early. Here's one that would change Iowa next season drastically.

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/...ixte-to-leave-umaine-mens-basketball-program/

With only 1 year to play this kid can't hurt upcoming recruiting cycles. I say give him a shot. He definitely has some quickness and looks like he has a slasher's mentality. Seems like it could be a fit.

I'm just throwing out guys I've seen mentioned on Twitter and other places. I have no idea other then my (very) untrained eye and the fact that it is commonly shared that we need a quick PG that is capable to playing at the B1G level. Whoever Iowa might entice from a grad transfer spot is probably going to be a risk. The departures of Wagner and BE allow Iowa to take that risk.

I've never heard this before. For realz?
Absolutely it happened. Carfino and a USC player may have got tangled up going for a loose ball and Wright was the third man in. Google the two players and you will find a DSM Register article about the incident and a letter to the sports editor saying that players like Wright belonged at UNLV or Wichita State, not Iowa.

In addition to his high wire extravaganzas, Wright was probably the best outlet passer I've seen at Iowa. Does anyone think it's become a lost art? Bill Russell was probably the best outlet passer ever.

I've been looking for another old video from the 1991 NCAA opening round vs East Tennessee State. James Winters made an unbelievable play blocking a Rodney English dunk attempt and probably saving the game. Anyone have it or seen it on YouTube? Maybe the 4-4 three point shooting of Troy Skinner caused the tape to self destruct.

North Dakota. ND < MAC.

Looks like ammo for Fran haters.
Let me see. How many players (in the NCAA Tournament) from schools I've never heard of (or are considered lesser schools) have guys I would like to see transfer to Iowa and play some PG next year? Not meaning to call you out here DD. You just made a point I wanted to quote.

Absolutely it happened. Carfino and a USC player may have got tangled up going for a loose ball and Wright was the third man in. Google the two players and you will find a DSM Register article about the incident and a letter to the sports editor saying that players like Wright belonged at UNLV or Wichita State, not Iowa.

In addition to his high wire extravaganzas, Wright was probably the best outlet passer I've seen at Iowa. Does anyone think it's become a lost art? Bill Russell was probably the best outlet passer ever.

I've been looking for another old video from the 1991 NCAA opening round vs East Tennessee State. James Winters made an unbelievable play blocking a Rodney English dunk attempt and probably saving the game. Anyone have it or seen it on YouTube? Maybe the 4-4 three point shooting of Troy Skinner caused the tape to self destruct.

Gerry Wright hurting his hand before the tournament started in 1987 was a real killer...he played, but you could tell he wasn't healthy. Yep...he jacked Carfino...I think because Carfino was ugly. It's a true story though...it happened. It was always weird when that summer Wright was transferring to Iowa after that incident. Gerry was gay I think, so he probably thought the warm, accepting, climate in Iowa City was much better than the uptight, repressive Los Angeles scene. What?

This kid was a 4-star recruit who picked Georgetown ahead of Maryland and others. I liked his game in high school. Not sure why it hasn't translated to college but the Hoyas have been a mess.

Coming out of HS he was a 2-star by only one service; not rated by the others. Not sure about the competition he played against, definitely not at the Big 10 level.

Gerry Wright hurting his hand before the tournament started in 1987 was a real killer...he played, but you could tell he wasn't healthy. Yep...he jacked Carfino...I think because Carfino was ugly. It's a true story though...it happened. It was always weird when that summer Wright was transferring to Iowa after that incident. Gerry was gay I think, so he probably thought the warm, accepting, climate in Iowa City was much better than the uptight, repressive Los Angeles scene. What?

<<Gerry was gay I think>>

Might be news to his wife.

Everybody spouted that crap when he was in college just because he was into theater-related stuff.

Not every hair stylist is gay. Not every gay person has a lisp. Not every black guy can dunk. Some white guys actually CAN dunk. Not everyone from Eastern Asia is a brilliant computer programmer. Not every buxom blonde is dumb (though that wouldn't be a bad thing). Not every Muslim is a terrorist.

However, every Iowa coach IS overpaid.

Why would Dailey leave...who comes up with this S*&T. Where is he going to go and get more playing time at that level?