Gottlieb on WHB talking Iowa hoops

JDeMoney

Doug Gottlieb's weekly appearance on WHB in Kansas City led off with a discussion of the Iowa job. Obviously, Pearl and Lickliter were discussed.

Gottlieb and The Program host Soren Petro also got into over Bruce Weber and his performance at Illinois.

Some good stuff.

Here's a link to the podcast.

Sports Radio 810 WHB / Podcasts

I respect Gottlieb, he is one of the more honest analysts out there.
I do not like the candidates he thinks Iowa will be limited to...hopefully we can surprise him.

I do not like the candidates he thinks Iowa will be limited to...hopefully we can surprise him.

Agree with this 100%. He is a straight shooter--possibly too straight of a shooter for some. I also agree that his list of possible coahces for Iowa is a bit underwhelming.

Without listening to the entire d*mned podcast, who does he think we're limited to?

Sorry ... Here are the highlights:

1) Lickliter did not succeed at Iowa because he was a "horrible recruiter"

2) Bruce Pearl absolutely will not take the Iowa job. He's very happy where he is even though basketball isn't as big in the SEC

3) Coaches he talks to still think Iowa is a good job even though the basketball facilities went from being the best in the Big Ten to almost the worst right now.

4) Mentioned Tony Barbee as a guy Iowa will probably look at. Didn't really talk about any other candidates at all, mainly because Petro didn't want to get into the Iowa job much deeper.

5) Gottlieb believed Missouri is a better job than Iowa due to better facilities, access to bigger cities, and more engaged fan base.

6) On the Weber/Illinois issue, Gottlieb is convinced that Weber is a good coach who will eventually have them a national contender again. Petro feels like there is no reason in heck that Illinois should ever miss the NCAA tournament and that Weber might be a good clinic type coach but is vastly underachieving consider Illinois' proximity to talent-rich Chicago and St. Louis.

7) Final point, which was interesting: "It's a tough to win in the Big Ten because everyone is trying really hard and nobody is cheating."

Also said Keno would be a 'mistake'. If his last name wasn't Davis, you'd never consider him. Providence had worst statistical defensive season in Big East history.

Mentioned Dayton coach Brian Gregory as a possibility.

Steve Forbes, Keno Davis and BJ Armstrong losing his coaching virginity are all better choices then Jacobsen or Altman.

That's right. My memory is failing me. He did say that Iowa probably doesn't want or shouldn't want to "go down that road" with regard to hiring Mr. Davis's son.

Brian Gregory was mentioned.

Pretty sure Pearl, Barbee, Keno and Gregory were the only four.

Also said Keno would be a 'mistake'. If his last name wasn't Davis, you'd never consider him. Providence had worst statistical defensive season in Big East history.

As I have said we DO NOT want Keno. His point he brought up twice was Providence had the worst defensive season EVER IN BIG EAST.

I've always like Gottlieb, now I like him even more.

As I have said we DO NOT want Keno. His point he brought up twice was Providence had the worst defensive season EVER IN BIG EAST.

However, it looks like Keno did end up having the #4 offensive scoring team in the country. So, lets not dismiss him quite yet. Add a guy to his camp that has past Iowa ties and understands the Tom Davis pressure D and we might just have a winner!!!

However, it looks like Keno did end up having the #4 offensive scoring team in the country. So, lets not dismiss him quite yet. Add a guy to his camp that has past Iowa ties and understands the Tom Davis pressure D and we might just have a winner!!!

Just looking at points per game is a terrible way to evaluate whether or not a team is a good offensive team. Providence is very average when looking at offensive efficiency ranks, and offensive efficiency also has a very strong correlation to winning percentage. All four number one seeds are in the top 6 in the country, and Wisconsin, Ohio St and Purdue are all in the top 13.

As Gotlieb said--- Keno would be a 'mistake'. If his last name wasn't Davis, you'd never consider him. Providence had worst statistical defensive season in Big East history.

How quickly we forget---Keno's daddy had one of the highest scoring offenses year in and year out, and played matador defense pretty much year in and year out; are we forgetiing UNLV in the elite 8, and our inability to protect an 18 point halftime lead, because we refused to get out and put a hand in the face their three point shooters, a lack of defense that may have cost us a national title that year? If the coach is not putting out excellent defense, stay away from him. Tom didn't, Keno doesn't. Avoid him like the fricken plague.

Actually, Providence was very good...

Just looking at points per game is a terrible way to evaluate whether or not a team is a good offensive team. Providence is very average when looking at offensive efficiency ranks, and offensive efficiency also has a very strong correlation to winning percentage. All four number one seeds are in the top 6 in the country, and Wisconsin, Ohio St and Purdue are all in the top 13.

in offensive efficiency this year. They scored 115 points per 100 possessions (good for 17th in the country). They were not very good defensively (allowing 104.7 points per 100 possessions), which was 235th in the country. Providence on offense did two things very well: protect the ball (turned it over on just 17% of possessions) and offensive rebound (got more than 41% of their own misses offensively).

According to Pomeroy's rating, Providence was one of the most unlucky teams in the country. Their differential between their offensive and defensive efficiency dicated that they would normally have won quite a few more games than they did.

Gregory is on my list, Keno isn't.
Maybe Gottleib does have something going for him after all.

Latest posts