gotta give it to Oges...

HawkeyeWalker

He had a good showing tonight, 2-2, a couple great assists, good Def in a game Jok struggled a bit.

He's had a rough go and taken a lot of abuse on here(some warranted). If we can get something like this from him I got no problem with him getting some minutes, especially if Jok gets foul trouble or us just off. Good for Josh.

But that A A Ron...wowsa.

Ogs really stepped up tonight. Pete was struggling, and I'm not talking about his shot so much (even though he wasn't hitting). He was making waaaaaay too many mistakes, and 3 TO were killer. It was a very good time for Ogs to step up and have a good game.

Those shots were daggers. His confidence has to be soaring. Hopefully he keeps pulling the trigger and hitting. This is the time seniors need to step up.

It would be fun to be able to utilize a Oges, Jok, Uthoff, and Olaseni lineup if Josh is going to keep pulling the trigger.

This why I like the 9 player rotation...even if the 9th guy only gets 8 minutes. He has been playing and can help the team get a win at some point.

I haven't had a chance to watch the game as I am at work but hope to catch some of it when I get home. If Josh had a good game then I am very happy for him and I hope he carries it forward from here on out and DEEP into the NCAA tournament. I was just thinking about the possibilities before the game tonight of Iowa's potential if our guys can continue to bring the energy they have shown the last three games. If they do I can smell a sweet 16 coming down the road. When we are on we are hard to beat. When we are off well it is ugly.

That second 3 he hit the guy was basically in his face. JO usually passes up that shot but that time he said f it and went for it. Great to see

Really pleased with Fran's adjustments leaning on josh and Gabe for long periods after woody and jok were struggling.

Oglesby definitely had a good game, maybe the best he's had since last season. Clemmons has stepped up lately, too. He's looked a lot more like the player people were getting excited about after the 2012 ISU game than the inconsistent mess that he was all of last year and the first half of this season. More aggressive in looking for his own offense, which in turn has made it easier for him to set up teammates because defenses have to respect his own willingness to take/ability to make shots. And his defense has been consistently good.

Our defensive intensity was excellent. The offense will be adequate when we defend like did tonight IMO.

To me the defensive pressure was the key. It totally disrupted Illanoy's offense. Fran and the staff must have seen something in the video suggesting their ball handlers were susceptible to traps, 10-second violations, poor passes and turnovers. I also think Iowa's size was a problem, both disrupting their ball movement and blocking or altering shots.

The D carried the Hokks when the shots weren't falling and when they weren't making FTs.

How much are we going to miss Aaron White next year?

JO shot with good rhythm tonight. This has been his problem. In many cases, his rhythm is just too slow. Rhythm needs to be exactly the same on each shot. Kid needs to get out a metronome and shoot to it.

How much are we going to miss Aaron White next year?

I think we will miss White like we miss Marble this year. White is a great Hawk and is one of those guys I will really hate to see go. White was absolutely crucial in getting this program back on it's feet.

But we are surviving post Marble. We all wondered about the defense. Who will break people down off the dribble? Who will pick up the scoring slack? Uthoff, Jok, Uhl, the other 3 seniors next year and the incoming class of 6 freshmen (including the red shirts) will come together and find a way to get it done.

I will miss White a ton. But the Iowa basketball program will continue to move forward.

Last edited:
If the Josh Oglesby that played last night can deliver like that the rest of the year, then I got no problem with his playing time. He showed he can contribute. Maybe he thought WTF, I'm a senior, this ain't going well, and decided to just start playing basketball again when his number is called, as opposed to thinking so much about playing basketball when he's out there.

WindsorHawk;1406387[B said:
]I think we will miss him like we miss Marble this year[/B]. He's a great Hawk and is one of those guys I will really hate to see go. He was absolutely crucial in getting this program back on it's feet.

But we are surviving post Marble. We all wondered about the defense. Who will break people down off the dribble? Who will pick up the scoring slack? Uthoff, Jok, Uhl, the other 3 seniors next year and the incoming class of 6 freshmen (including the red shirts) will come together and find a way to get it done.

I will miss White a ton. But the Iowa basketball program will continue to move forward.
We miss Marble this year?

Josh has taken more than one 3 pointer in 6 conference games.

OSU - 2/5
MN - 1/3
PUR - 1/4
NW - 2/6
RUT - 1/3
IL - 2/2

In 5 of the 6 games where Josh has attempted more than one 3 point shot he has shot 33% or higher. And in all 6 games he's made at least 1.

In 5 games he didn't even attempt a 3 pointer...NE, @ WI, WI, MN and @NE. It seems strange that he didn't get a 3 point shot off in either game against Nebraska and Wisconsin. He didn't play against Maryland. He was 0-1 against MSU, OSU and MI.

So Oglesby needs to attempt at least two 3 point shots in a game to produce...shooting 39.1% in the 6 games listed above. I don't know if he's more confident in some games than others or what. I still want Jok and Uthoff shooting most of our 3s...my apologies to White. But Josh has to be willing to shoot more than once in a game. I would very much enjoy seeing Josh go off like Brody Boyd did in the conference tournament.

Really pleased with Fran's adjustments leaning on josh and Gabe for long periods after woody and jok were struggling.

I wouldn't say Gabe had a good game; he'd probably agree. He scored OK with 8 points, but only had 1 rebound with no blocks in 19 minutes. And rebounding and blocked shots are his game. Meanwhile, Woody had 1 point but 9 rebounds and a block in 20 minutes. I'd say both were struggling, just in different ways.