Good interview with Brust

tweeterhawk

Daily Herald's Basketball Focus 2009 | Mundelein's Brust plays the recruiting game - again

Discusses his feelings about Lickliter's firing, the chaos of re-opening his recruiting and what he wants.

I still think he's gone but did find the following quotes slightly encouraging:

"I have Iowa stickers all over my car. I still like Iowa and I'm not knocking it off the list. I'm still very interested in Iowa," said Brust, who used to joke about how he was so into Iowa that he had gotten into the habit of wearing nothing but Iowa clothes and gear to school. "At this point I just need to spend some time getting to know Coach McCaffery. We talk every day and I like what I've heard from him. But now, I also have offers from other schools that would be good opportunities as well.

"I just have to have an open mind to what these other coaches have to say and do what's best for me."

Daily Herald's Basketball Focus 2009 | Mundelein's Brust plays the recruiting game - again

Discusses his feelings about Lickliter's firing, the chaos of re-opening his recruiting and what he wants.

I still think he's gone but did find the following quotes slightly encouraging:

"I have Iowa stickers all over my car. I still like Iowa and I'm not knocking it off the list. I'm still very interested in Iowa," said Brust, who used to joke about how he was so into Iowa that he had gotten into the habit of wearing nothing but Iowa clothes and gear to school. "At this point I just need to spend some time getting to know Coach McCaffery. We talk every day and I like what I've heard from him. But now, I also have offers from other schools that would be good opportunities as well.

"I just have to have an open mind to what these other coaches have to say and do what's best for me."
I think there is a chance he comes back, he sounds like a genuine kid and its understandable that he wants to develop a relationship with Fran and i think Fran can rerecruit him.

A good quote left out "I need to get a good look at what else is out there," Brust said. "Even if that's just to decide that Iowa is still the right place for me."

Last edited:
I really don't think Fran re-recruits him very hard. Brust wants to shoot the 3...A LOT and that is why he was so interested with Lickliter's system. Coach Caff now needs guys with an uptempo pace at the offensive end AND can play pressure defense as well. This is one of Brust's negatives. Evaluations have pointed out his defensive weakness. No doubt this kid would be an asset on the offensive end but wonder if coach Caff is looking for guys that contribute on BOTH ends.

I really don't think Fran re-recruits him very hard. Brust wants to shoot the 3...A LOT and that is why he was so interested with Lickliter's system. Coach Caff now needs guys with an uptempo pace at the offensive end AND can play pressure defense as well. This is one of Brust's negatives. Evaluations have pointed out his defensive weakness. No doubt this kid would be an asset on the offensive end but wonder if coach Caff is looking for guys that contribute on BOTH ends.
Interesting. So then he wouldnt really be a good fit, if he did recommit then do you think he would get less PT because his lack of defense? I think he would lose PT because of that.

Coach Fran just calls him every day, but that's not re-recruiting him hard?

I think he is recruiting him hard, call me gullable but Ben sounds like a genuine kid. Besides Fran even said one of his priorities were to get Ben and Cody back on board.

Of course he is going to say "coach McCaffery is calling me everyday." He's selling himself to other schools. Just like when kids say "I'm not transferring," I wouldn't buy it.

You're crediting a high shool kid for keen marketing skills for what appears to be a spontaneous answer during a newspaper interview.

I am of the opinion that defense is a learned trait. If an athlete is good enough to play offense at the D1 level, he has the ability to play defense at that level (for his position). So, I'm of the impression that a good coach will get defense out of a player.

I agree with you, at this level.

Different story on the college->NBA transition, if the kid hasn't demonstrated ability AND WILLINGNESS to play D by then, he never will. As a former NBA season ticket holder who saw this a lot, sadly.

Me, me, me, me, me. Get bent.

Me, me, me, me, me. Get bent.

What do you want him to say. It's all about the team. How can he? He's making a decision that will decide what career he may have the rest of his life. Did you take choosing your college and major/career lightly? It's more than about basketball as well. However, for a few elite athletes it's about both, and fitting in to a basketball system and university as a student are very important. I'm fine that he is looking around and he has to do what is in his best interest (be it basketball or studies).

Are you serious? Can you read? All signs have pointed that we are still very interested in Brust. Where are the evaluations that he can't play D? From 2 pictures of the Chi-town allstar game? I'd like to see these evaluation for myself.

I have been hard on him and I am sure he is a good kid. I just wish he hadn't gone so gung ho Iowa so soon. He had to have known as the season was closing that there was a good chance a change was about to happen. Watching his film I thought he fit more into an uptempo system where he could get open 3's in transition, than he would having the ball passed to him with 3 seconds on the shot clock to heave a desperation 3. So I was surprised that he wanted to play for Lick.

some people are unreal on this board. let the kid figure out what coach is best for him. if it's iowa great, if not best of luck to where ever he goes

some people are unreal on this board. let the kid figure out what coach is best for him. if it's iowa great, if not best of luck to where ever he goes

My thoughts as well.

Also...If anything, the attention he has gotten should maybe prove to some that doubted his abilities, rankings, etc.. He's not getting Kentucky or Duke offers, but he's getting a lot of attention. This entire class was locked up early and had they not been signed early, Iowa may not have gotten many of them. There's still hope that both Larson and Brust will come back to Iowa. They need time to get to know the program, the coach, etc... if there's something better out there that fits, they should take it. I just hope it's Iowa.

Latest posts