Good For Alford re: Punishment of Ball

Americans are so often labeled as being immature, self centered, and materialistic...stereotypes are so unfair.

I have no earthly idea why Trump or any President would intervene on the behalf of any American committing crimes internationally? No wonder the rest of the world looks down on us. These kids were stealing high dollar merchandise. They should face the equivalent theft charges here in US court. Otherwise there is zero accountability and we are feeding the very same beast that made the kids think that they could do this in the first place.

Also I will note that the volition of this crime while enrolled as a student at UCLA is immediate grounds for dismissal from the school. I believe the matter will have to go in front of a student/ faculty board. I am interested to see how this pans out internally for UCLA. It seems that in most cases a student committing offenses of this nature would no longer be a student there.

Because not every nation's justice system is like ours. These guys could have legitimately been in Chinese prisons for a decade. I have no problem with a President intervening in this situation. Crap, we've traded terrorists for runaway soldiers.

One year seems a bit steep. What was Jameis Winston's penalty? That was a joke. I would go first semester to make it count, but an entire year for this seems a bit much.

I have been reading the situation with Alford's 5 star recruits getting in trouble with the law and was wondering if they would just get a slap on the wrist like a lot of coaches might have done. Perhaps Alford has learned a thing or two over the years on how to handle disciplinary matters, but it appears as though his 3 international shop lifters have been suspended indefinitely. While I'd like to say the Iowa staff would do the same, a multi game suspension for shop lifting is solid!

Suspended indefinitely really doesn't say anything yet. I'd like to see them get suspended at least some games in the regular season. They should get a 10 game suspension from where they are now. It would be about 1/3rd of the season and include some conference games.

I'd be curious to hear what if any role Branstad had in this. Perhaps a significantly larger role than Trump?

They should have let Chinese punish them in this way
giphy.gif

They could of been sentenced to 10 years. I'm sure that scared the crap out of them. They are very very lucky.

And they are very stupid, How much was the merchandise worth?? Was this a felony or misdemeanor level theft.

These guys are on full ride scholarships and to be thieves just shows something wrong with them and their upbringing. Now I have not been a big follower of the Ball family except a little news that seems to show the Ball father is a lunatic.

No wonder his kid is like this.

American Basketball have sunk to the lowest of the lowest. Their parents should be angry!

Are you kidding or sarcastic about the parents comment. Maybe they thought they could do this because of the way their parents and handlers treated them as "can do nothing wrong stars".

Oh and I have to say if you havent already seen it Trumpster tweeted before the players had their press conference he hopes the players say thanks, meaning thanks to him, and to China's president. What a bunch of shit for Trump say to supposedly do something to help these kids out then make it all come back around to Trump himself wanting the kids' thanks. Trump's endless narcissism never ends.

and now 3, 2, 1, here come the Trump lovers. C'mon, defend him.

Oh and I have to say if you havent already seen it Trumpster tweeted before the players had their press conference he hopes the players say thanks, meaning thanks to him, and to China's president. What a bunch of shit for Trump say to supposedly do something to help these kids out then make it all come back around to Trump himself wanting the kids' thanks. Trump's endless narcissism never ends.

and now 3, 2, 1, here come the Trump lovers. C'mon, defend him.
I'm a Democrat/Independent. That said I'm sure he lobbied for their release when trade and Korea should have been the topics of discussion. You must be a real piece of work.

I'm a Democrat/Independent. That said I'm sure he lobbied for their release when trade and Korea should have been the topics of discussion. You must be a real piece of work.

I didnt say Trump didnt lobby for their release I said Trump tweeted like a child hoping the players would thank him. He is supposedly the most powerful person in the world so you would think he would have enough self-esteem that he can do this act even in secret without making a big deal about or even giving one of his staff credit for the deed. That would be what big hearted people do.

"Good for Alford" in the subject line? What the hell else was he going to do, he had to suspend them.

The "indefinitely" simply means he'll wait til some other sports story takes over...and quietly put them back into the lineup. I'd love to see the Vegas over/under on how many games.