Going for 2 down by 9

SayHawkKid

As soon as they scored I started saying "kick it, kick it". If you don't get it, you lose and an onside kick is meaningless. If you kick the extra point, the onside kick means something. End of story

Don't you guys get it? He was going to go for two two-point conversions and the win! It's NewKirk :confused:

I was so pissed that we were in that predicament that I didn't even care. I got like 6 texts from my ASU buddies clowning Ferentz though. Pics of calculators and an abacus and shit.

I don't see the outrage. If your playing for television ratings, sure, kick the point after. Build that suspense.

Otherwise, I don't see how it matters. You need a 2 point conversion. They attempted one and failed.

Plenty of awful football to complain about.

Maybe we should be thankful they ended the game early. Or were you all having too much fun watching it?

I don't see the outrage. If your playing for television ratings, sure, kick the point after. Build that suspense.

Otherwise, I don't see how it matters. You need a 2 point conversion. They attempted one and failed.

Plenty of awful football to complain about.

Maybe we should be thankful they ended the game early. Or were you all having too much fun watching it?

I just don't understand people using this point.

Yes, you are going to need a two point conversion at some point. BUT...if you go for two and miss, like Iowa did, with around a minute left, you now need to recover TWO onside kicks and get two scores to win. Means means, you lose.

If you kick the PAT and make it, there is still a minute left, and you only need to recover one onside kick, and you have a chance to win with around a minute left.

Yes, you would still need to score a TD and get a two point conversion, on top of the low percentage play of recovering an onside kick. BUT, you leave yourself those options...and while some will link to some math that says go for two then, etc...I don't care what math equation you show me on this, it does not account for the 'OH ####' factor that goes along with losing an onside kick, and then your opponent actually scoring another TD on you. Math don't suit up, math doesn't succumb to emotion, or bad split second decisions or creeping doubts.

You kick the PAT to keep all options on the table, with a minute left.

Iowa went for two and missed it, thus ending the game with a minute left.

I just don't understand people using this point.

Yes, you are going to need a two point conversion at some point. BUT...if you go for two and miss, like Iowa did, with around a minute left, you now need to recover TWO onside kicks and get two scores to win. Means means, you lose.

If you kick the PAT and make it, there is still a minute left, and you only need to recover one onside kick, and you have a chance to win with around a minute left.

Yes, you would still need to score a TD and get a two point conversion, on top of the low percentage play of recovering an onside kick. BUT, you leave yourself those options...and while some will link to some math that says go for two then, etc...I don't care what math equation you show me on this, it does not account for the 'OH ####' factor that goes along with losing an onside kick, and then your opponent actually scoring another TD on you. Math don't suit up, math doesn't succumb to emotion, or bad split second decisions or creeping doubts.

You kick the PAT to keep all options on the table, with a minute left.

Iowa went for two and missed it, thus ending the game with a minute left.

You say by missing the 2 point conversion they needed 2 more onside kicks. So say they kick it first, get one onside kick, score a touchdown, then miss that 2 point conversion. How do you propose they get the ball back without kicking that second onside kick? It doesn't matter if you go for 2 with the first td or the second. If you miss either one, you need to score again, which means you need a second onside kick.Like the guy you quoted said, waiting for the second helps with suspense. That's about it.

As soon as they scored I started saying "kick it, kick it". If you don't get it, you lose and an onside kick is meaningless. If you kick the extra point, the onside kick means something. End of story

You have to Kick it because it puts added pressure on the recieving team. That was just ridiculous and I honestly don’t know if any other HC in the country at any level would played it the way KF did..

You say by missing the 2 point conversion they needed 2 more onside kicks. So say they kick it first, get one onside kick, score a touchdown, then miss that 2 point conversion. How do you propose they get the ball back without kicking that second onside kick? It doesn't matter if you go for 2 with the first td or the second. If you miss either one, you need to score again, which means you need a second onside kick.Like the guy you quoted said, waiting for the second helps with suspense. That's about it.
There was 1 minute left in regulation, barely enough time for 1 onside kick and drive.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some serious dysfunction among the coaching staff. This poor play can not be blamed on 2 young offensive tackles.

I won't be surprised if one or 2 assistants leave...And I don't think they'll be fired. I think they'll just walk away...

I've seen average teams play so much better than the way this team is playing.

Its an issue that is hidden when poor execution is so pervasive

Last edited:
You score the 1st TD, kick it, get the ball back, score a TD, and you have so much more momentum on that 2 pt. conversion. Was Kirk asked about the decision?

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some serious dysfunction among the coaching staff. This poor play can not be blamed on 2 young offensive tackles.

I won't be surprised if one or 2 assistants leave...And I don't think they'll be fired. I think they'll just walk away...

I've seen average teams play so much better that the way this team is playing.

Its an issue that is hidden when poor execution is so pervasive
I bet Copeland is one of them if it happens. He was the coach that accepted a commitment from a Florida WR and Kirk or whomever said thanks but no thanks. Remember Brian and his "non-committable" offer comment?

Simply can't play the philosophy that KF wants to play when you have a terrible punting and return game and turn the ball over -2.

But yet we keep doing it.

The drops and lack of QB protection and a QB keeper on 3rd and 9....just make it worse.

That is the 2nd time we ran a qb keep on 3rd and long. Between that and the pitch plays deep in our own endzone...i mean...w t f.

There was 1 minute left in regulation, barely enough time for 1 onside kick and drive.

You get onside kicks at mid field. You would need to go 50 yards in 40 seconds or so, get an onside kick, and go 20 yards for a field goal attempt. I would rather know I needed to score in 40 seconds than wait and put all my eggs on the second touchdown and not get it.

Either way out odds were less than 1% so it's not like it matters. I think the math slightly favors my way and human emotion of delaying a loss as long as possible favors the other way.

Brian said once or twice "we're all very different". Well sometimes that works out. I have a feeling they are all butting heads. I wonder if Brian is micro managing, yelling, and basically being an inexperienced leader.

Do people still think it matters we went for the 2-point conversion sooner rather than later?

Because it's starting to get silly.