Going for 2 down by 9

The second main thing is an 8 point game isn't a 1 possession game. It's a potential 1 possession game. There is a huge difference between the two. Before we tried the 2 pt conversion, the only thing we know is we need 1 more possession half the time, and we need 2 more possessions half the time. It's best to find out whether we need 1 or 2 possessions as soon as possible. If you make the 2 pt conversion (regardless of when you try it) you needed 1 more possession. If you miss the 2 pt conversion (regardless of when you try it) you needed 2 more possessions.

First of all we had 2 timeouts. Not a huge deal tho. Second of all, you I'm not over thinking it. You are under thinking it. Google it and read some stuff on it and try really hard to make sense of it. Once it clicks it will make perfect sense. You still may not agree with the decision. But you will at least understand why it wasn't a bad one. It's really not hard, and from your post earlier you seem like a smart enough guy. I would be surprised if you read up on it and still came back saying it was dumb.
I didn't say going for 2 was a bad decision. It was not the best decision. The best decision was to kick. I cannot understand why you cannot grasp what the vast majority of coaches and experts already know. But then....I guess they are all just stupid.

The second main thing is an 8 point game isn't a 1 possession game. It's a potential 1 possession game. There is a huge difference between the two. Before we tried the 2 pt conversion, the only thing we know is we need 1 more possession half the time, and we need 2 more possessions half the time. It's best to find out whether we need 1 or 2 possessions as soon as possible. If you make the 2 pt conversion (regardless of when you try it) you needed 1 more possession. If you miss the 2 pt conversion (regardless of when you try it) you needed 2 more possessions.
Yes, an 8 point game IS a 1 possession game. By kicking the XP, you KNOW you only need 1 more possession. Same is true if you go for 2 and make it. The difference is, you are MUCH more likely to make the 1 than the 2. So....logic, and percentages dictate you kick. It really is simple.

I am thru arguing with you. I have already proven (and this is supported by coaches and experts) that going for 1 is the *better* decision. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Latest posts