getting a new coach

You cannot seriously be saying that hiring someone who has had success at the DII level would be a better hire than Bob Stoops.

I absolutely am. What makes anyone believe he has any energy left to do double or triple the work required here at Iowa than what it takes at Oklahoma right now with his program established.

Then if it does work how long will you enjoy the fruit before we are back in the same spot? This is going to come with a huge price tag as well, 5 million plus. This will come on top of the 3.25 per year while you are paying off KF. This does not include upping your assistant pay which he will demand.

Winners have come through the lower ranks before. See Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Jerry Kill as 3 quick examples off the top of my head.

I would like a coach with some fire. Someone who is engaging. Someone who has that attitude that we WILL expect to compete with the big boys. That we will go after top recruits. Someone who finally rids of the "lil 'ol Iowa" mindset.

Dennis Green?

While I hate to admit it, as a Lifelong Viking fan, not just no but he!! no!!!!

Is there a chance, even a slight chance, that Bielema left Wisconsin not only because of Alvarez, but also because he had his eye down the road for the Iowa job? While I certainly hated him, along with most Hawk fans, while he was at Wisconsin, I do like his passion. Something we haven't seen since the Fry era. And you can't deny his success record.

Who would come to Iowa and coach? Thats my question? I admit I don't watch football as much as I used to . I love watching Florida Gators.. when I was living in Jax.

There aren't as many people as you think who are desperate to turn down 4 million a year plus free education and jobs for their children. I know this Obama economy is rockin, but not everyone has better options than 4 mil per annum.

Just going to say it.

Iowa needs to stop hiring "blue collar" coaches, and coaches from Hayden's/Ferentz's tree. They need someone who will change the culture at Iowa.

They need to go get Scott Frost, Bryan Harsh, Dan Mullen, or Phillip Montgomery. The hire needs to make a splash, open new recruiting areas, bring in a totally different offensive philosophy, and a totally different philosophy of success. Everything is up for debate - the Tigerhawk, the unis, the flyover attitude, the pro football farm program, the walk-on tradition, the strength and conditioning program, the mopeds, all of it.

When you hire a coach, you go out and get the guy that is the opposite of the last guy you had. We had a tight-lipped, old, player development, pro-guy. Let's go get a fast-talking, fiery young guy.

EDIT: Oh, and if he hires one of the above guys, I don't care if it is Barta that makes the hire. He would have shown some backbone by firing Ferentz and getting the above guy. If that hire fails, then Barta can be fired. Right now it is just important that things change.

Just going to say it.

Iowa needs to stop hiring "blue collar" coaches, and coaches from Hayden's/Ferentz's tree. They need someone who will change the culture at Iowa.

They need to go get Scott Frost, Bryan Harsh, Dan Mullen, or Phillip Montgomery. The hire needs to make a splash, open new recruiting areas, bring in a totally different offensive philosophy, and a totally different philosophy of success. Everything is up for debate - the Tigerhawk, the unis, the flyover attitude, the pro football farm program, the walk-on tradition, the strength and conditioning program, the mopeds, all of it.

When you hire a coach, you go out and get the guy that is the opposite of the last guy you had. We had a tight-lipped, old, player development, pro-guy. Let's go get a fast-talking, fiery young guy.

EDIT: Oh, and if he hires one of the above guys, I don't care if it is Barta that makes the hire. He would have shown some backbone by firing Ferentz and getting the above guy. If that hire fails, then Barta can be fired. Right now it is just important that things change.

The Tiger Hawk and the Pink locker rooms are way worn out.They have become Cartoonish!

Keep the tiger hawk but refresh it and the pink locker room is a time honored tradition.

Who would come to Iowa and coach? Thats my question? I admit I don't watch football as much as I used to . I love watching Florida Gators.. when I was living in Jax.

You want a page long list or just point out the fact that 4 Mil a year and being the only game in town is enough to make most college FB coaches interested. Someone in another post pointed out all of the smaller poorer stated than Ia that are more successful as of late--so this poor Ole little Ia is complete B.S.. Friggin Kansas State is better more successful. Look at one of the previous posters info on the success rates of different level coaches--your telling me an FCS coach would'nt take the job for half the money and do better. Here is my dream Brett B. as head coach and Bobby D as D coordinator--tell me those guys wouldn't take losing personally and do better in recruiting/ player developement. Say whatyou want about B.B. but I have never heard him make excuses for poor performances or basically give the middle finger to the fans.

Bob Stoops is likely no more than a year away from being canned in Norman. Unless another high-profile job comes open after next season, which doesn't seem likely, I would think Iowa might actually be an attractive landing spot for him to finish his career. It might even re-energize him, having the chance to bring his alma mater back to the heights it reached during his playing career and in the years that followed under Fry.

Unfortunately, i don't see the older Bob Stoops of today getting much traction here. I would like to see him instead of KF on the sidelines. But ,he hasn't been tearing it up lately in the Big12. TCU and Baylor programs as well as KSU are doing better. He will not be able to recruit nearly as well as he did at Okie. So can he be as competitive in the BIG as he was in the BIg12?

Unfortunately, i don't see the older Bob Stoops of today getting much traction here. I would like to see him instead of KF on the sidelines. But ,he hasn't been tearing it up lately in the Big12. TCU and Baylor programs as well as KSU are doing better. He will not be able to recruit nearly as well as he did at Okie. So can he be as competitive in the BIG as he was in the BIg12?

I tend to agree, but I wouldn't rule him out, as he's still young enough to recreate his passion with a change of scenary. And I would not be disappointed if he were the choice....I think many would however....I would be fully satisfied with Biel's...fire, youthful, passion, successful, Iowa guy! There are probably others out there, but at this point, any change would be good.

The only thing that keeps the good from being great is the belief that they cannot or do not deserve to be great. For $4-5 million a year, you can get anyone you want.

The "who would come" attitude is a defeatist attitude. Anyone who has that attitude can just move out. We don't need any more non-Iowans telling us how we insignificant little Midwesterners should just shut up, drink the urine, and eat the crap that the rest of the country drops out of the planes as they fly over.

The Tiger Hawk and the Pink locker rooms are way worn out.They have become Cartoonish!

Doood. Our problem is not our Tiger Hawk logo (remember they already tried to make it more "tough" with epic failure results) or our pink guest locker rooms. Our problem is program stagnation and overall lack of drive and enthusiasm from coaches, players, and fans.

Opposite of a previous posters response above, Iowa needs to hire a coach that runs some sort of power football. At Iowa your going to be able to get lineman, get those quality TE's and a fair look at good RB's. Just need someone who can recruit skill players to add to that.

I think that's why BB is so attractive to Iowa fans, including me. A total change in philosophy would not work at Iowa, or at least not a spread offense.

Yeah... that's what he's saying and I agree with him.

You guys whine endlessly about the money Ferentz earns and how it's turned him into a fat cat who really doesn't care much becasue he's got the jing. Have you checked Stoops' salary lately? Have you seen the stories about his new $12 Million home?

If we're going to make a change (and we aren't) let's go for a younger guy who's hungry and has something to prove... like that guy at Tennessee... Stoops isn't the answer.

You realize that June Jones is even older than Ferentz, right? He's a damn good coach, but he's been at this for a long time, too.

Nothing is impossible but I really do not see Bob Stoops as viable. How are we not back in the same position within a short period of time even if he gets us moving again?

Programs can slip within a couple of seasons. He will command a high salary which will equate to a high buyout and you will have to have a succession plan in mind from day one. This all assumes he will have the energy to work twice as hard as he has been at Oklahoma.

Again I know the romanticism with him but a smart AD has to know when a ship has sailed.

I would suggest taking a look at a relatively young up and comer from FCS or DII ranks ..... IF he has proven he can win big at those levels and runs some semblance of a power running game regardless of scheme used. My first look would be Kliemann at NDSU. There can be others that fit this profile as well. Cheap startup and buy out if it does not work. Rinse and repeat until you hit gold.

The issue for anyone is always can he recruit well enough? If you run a power running game you need 5 offensive lineman beasts and a good RB & TE. 6-7 guys to make an effective offense ala Wisky. Not relying on attracting great WR's which we do not typically. For a special year you come up with a good mobile run/throw QB. We should be able to do this model better than other models that require many more talented skill players. You have to have a plan of what to look for as an AD.

No thank you, at least not at this point. Klieman just finished his first year as HC at NDSU. He inherited a program that had just won three-straight national titles under Craig Bohl, who now coaches at Wyoming. He's not proven anything at the FCS level yet, other than that he can maintain a great program for a year.

Opposite of a previous posters response above, Iowa needs to hire a coach that runs some sort of power football. At Iowa your going to be able to get lineman, get those quality TE's and a fair look at good RB's. Just need someone who can recruit skill players to add to that.

I think that's why BB is so attractive to Iowa fans, including me. A total change in philosophy would not work at Iowa, or at least not a spread offense.

I disagree. Oregon was a doormat in the Pac 10 for generations. They switched and it made them a successful offense. Baylor was a doormat in the Big 12. Ditto. West Virginia in the ACC. You do not have to run power football here. I would also argue that you have to have more talented players on both sides of the ball to run power football. Bigger, stronger, and faster players that can assert their will on opposing teams on both sides of the ball. If you can't do that, in power football, you lose.

The spread, air raid, option are run in college because they are vastly easier to run than pro-style offenses. They require less specialized personnel. They use numbers to overwhelm specific parts of a field. They avoid tendencies by doing everything out of the same look. The playbooks are smaller. They control the scoreboard over controlling the ball.

If power football were really better for less-talented teams, every non-power 5 conference team would be running it. They don't. They run the spread, because they can't recruit the talent necessary to run power, pro-style football.

The problem at Iowa is that there are 0 skill players, because the offense doesn't attract skill players. It doesn't work, because they don't recruit at a high enough level to be successful with it, even on the line and at tight end. WRs run wind sprints. RBs have to run against 9 man fronts because no one else is a threat, and one great O-lineman can't block 9 guys. Talented speed players can't make an impact because the offense is predicated on being bigger and faster than the team they are facing, and that almost never happens in a power 5 conference. At best, it's even, and then the team that makes the least mistakes usually wins. It does nothing to tip the odds of winning in the favor of your team.

Just because you have powerful O-lineman and good tight ends doesn't mean you can't go up-tempo and score points and be dynamic on offense. You don't have to go spread-option like Georgia Tech. But you could run Oregon's, TCU's, or Boise State's offense successfully here, and score more points, and have more big plays.

Running the pro-style does nothing unless you have more pro-caliber talent than you don't.

BB is our Harbaugh.

Whatever has to take place to make him the Iowa coach is what needs to happen, no excuses.

First thing to do is get rid of Mason ASAP and get someone who is in favor of sports in place.

Anyone who can take the KF philosophy and bring it to the 21st century......therefore the transition will not take as long. Maybe a really good NFL WR or QB coach.

Latest posts