Get Greg Davis out of town

This is 100% correct. GD did call a good game against Purdue.

Iowa has a serious lack of offensive talent right now. If people want to place all the blame on an offensive coordinator who is still trying to install a new offense... in bits and pieces by the way.... then their frustration is completely misguided.

Iowa's biggest offensive problems right now are an OL that cannot protect the QB due to injuries, and a QB that is easily the worst of the Ferentz era. It doesn't help that Iowa LEADS THE BIG TEN IN DROPPED PASSES!

As was mentioned..... there were receivers open down field all day long against Purdue. Vandy missed them over a dozen times.

Don't believe me? Watch the game again and see for yourself.
You do realize that Vandenberg is being told to lock onto guys during some plays correct? Like that 4th and 3 play. That play is only designed for the dump off to the FB. Vandenberg had good protection early in the season and the results were the same. Vandenberg had also regressed largely because this offense isn't right for him. How many times is he and the WR's not on the same page? I don't know how difficult this is to grasp, but you can tell the players are not comfortable with it. Just last week CJ and Shumpert I believe ran outs within 5 yard of each other to the same side of the field. That's either a busted play or a terrible play design. If guys still can't catch onto this offense at this point it's clear it's not sinking in.

I agree Vandenber has been bad, and his WR's have had drops, but you need to understand that this offense isn't made for a QB to go through progressions. It's mainly lock onto the 1st guy and get him the ball. The guys at the Gazette have said as much on their podcast. I encourage you to listen in and then watch the games. You'll get it.

I told everyone he was a bad hire and I was right. The lack of downfield plays is comical and criminal.

Davis does not realize he doesn't have the talent he did at Texas. He won't conform to the type of players he has and needs to get run out in a rail.

Great sense of the first down marker on that last drive Davis. It's no wonder NOBODY wanted you other than Iowa when you were fired because your offense stinks.

The buck stops with Ferentz. He is allowing this cluster**** of an offense because it fits right in with his philosophy. Ferentz could step in at any time and demand that Davis change up the offense. He has chosen not to. No free pass for Ferentz on this one.

It cracks me up that people are actually defending Davis. Yes, our offense is one of the worst in the country because of the players. Give me a break. We returned 7 starters on offense so I really doubt we've gotten this much worse because of the players. Davis has run this offense into the ground, and hasn't made any changes as the season has gone along. This is completely on Davis. If by some incredible luck he's not our OC next year you will see an offense that is much better.

You do realize that Vandenberg is being told to lock onto guys during some plays correct? Like that 4th and 3 play. That play is only designed for the dump off to the FB. Vandenberg had good protection early in the season and the results were the same. Vandenberg had also regressed largely because this offense isn't right for him. How many times is he and the WR's not on the same page? I don't know how difficult this is to grasp, but you can tell the players are not comfortable with it. Just last week CJ and Shumpert I believe ran outs within 5 yard of each other to the same side of the field. That's either a busted play or a terrible play design. If guys still can't catch onto this offense at this point it's clear it's not sinking in.

I agree Vandenber has been bad, and his WR's have had drops, but you need to understand that this offense isn't made for a QB to go through progressions. It's mainly lock onto the 1st guy and get him the ball. The guys at the Gazette have said as much on their podcast. I encourage you to listen in and then watch the games. You'll get it.

I find this very, very hard to believe.

The tackling was horrendous today. Fire Greg Davis.

It legitimately might have been the worst tackling I've seen in a game from a Kirk Ferentz coached team. You know it's bad when Morris AND Hitchens got benched.

I do as well. Here's a little excerpt from the postgame presser.

Q. The fullback, on the 4th and 3, is that the primary read on that play?
KIRK FERENTZ: Most plays have a couple reads. There are plays where you just send two guys out or one guy out, like the one we threw it to the guy in the end zone, we had one eligible receiver on that play, but most plays that we run have at least three guys involved, and coverage dictates where the ball goes. That's usually how the passing game works, whether it be one guy out, two guys out, three or five. That's just the way it goes.

If there is one guy out in a route, it makes sense that he's only looking for one guy, although locking on isn't in the best interest of the play. Even the most remedial pass plays in football generally require a read of just 1 defender...if he there, I here; if he here, I there. Short of a tag on the play call, the passing concepts generally require that you at least utilize some sort of read/progression.

I don't want to misstate what Herkyalert posted, as I'm not sure how many "some plays" in the first line of his post constitutes. But I've coached in HS offenses where 75% of the pass plays read one defender. Granted, we generally scouted the opposing defense well enough to know approximately where that one defender would be and would thusly coach the player to be looking for a specific guy in a concept, but he still had to make the read.

Last edited:
It legitimately might have been the worst tackling I've seen in a game from a Kirk Ferentz coached team. You know it's bad when Morris AND Hitchens got benched.

Morris was hurt, not benched. He was getting his groin/hip/thigh iced on the sideline (he chose not to talk about it in the post game), and was limping a little when he came into the media room. Hitchens, nobody really knows what the deal was there. Morehouse said he still had his helmet on the sidelines, which is usually a sign that it's not a concussion (they generally take away a player's helmet in that case). He also wasn't getting attention from the training staff, or at least none we could see from the press box.

In short, Hitchens may have been benched. But no one was able to confirm that one way or the other.

Ditto. He would be the first offensive coach ever to say such a thing. Sure there are some plays with 1 reciever or 1 main option, but no way he is told "only look or throw here" on plays.

i suggested yesterday to a friend that iowa should make a run at someone like chip kelly. why not offer 8 mill/yr and see what happens. i think he is alot better than rich rod. i think bret bielema will be coaching at iowa in 3 years

Texas fans are saying - "I done told yew so !" Here's a quote from shaggy bevo

................... I actually blame Vandenberg for consistently failing to scramble 80 yards on 3rd and 15, as the scheme clearly is designed for him to do.

I mean, the guy only has one job out there on the field - look off the 3 covered WRs running 4 yard hitch routes, avoid the pass rush, pump fake a pursuing LB out of his shoes, juke another four guys, and then outrun the safeties to the endzone - and yet, he consistently fails to do his only job.

The scheme is never going to work if you can't hold up your end of the bargain, Vandenberg. Stop letting the team and the coaches down

why would a Iowa fan listen to TX fan about a X-Coach?
all you have to read what Iowa fans have to say about KOK, they are not giving him a ringing endorsement, and 99.9% were glad he left, so why expect TX fans to give GD a ringing endorsement.

I told everyone he was a bad hire and I was right. The lack of downfield plays is comical and criminal.

Davis does not realize he doesn't have the talent he did at Texas. He won't conform to the type of players he has and needs to get run out in a rail.

Great sense of the first down marker on that last drive Davis. It's no wonder NOBODY wanted you other than Iowa when you were fired because your offense stinks.
My old moniker was correct in this.

Latest posts