Get Greg Davis out of town

A guy I know in Iowa City, said he sees Greg Davis almost every day.

He lives a couple blocks from Davis. But Davis always turns a couple streets short and ends up at this guy's house instead.

I am for givin GD at least another year and think he's put in some wrinkles...but this is funny!

I'm not defending GD by any means, I think he couuld be calling different plays, but he's doing what KF wants him to do in the offense, other than a few different looks out of 3 wide receiver sets its the same running plays and samy crossing routes that we've run the last 13 years, it doesn't matter who the coordinator is, it will be within the same conservative offense that KF will allow.

So because 1 receiver wasn't past the line and Vandy threw it to him that's on GD's offense?

Get real. GD actually called a good game today. Those bootlegs and trick plays worked, and like always there were open receivers downfield all day long.

106th in the nation offensive rank and 10 years of Texas fans disagree

Just like almost every other team in college and the NFL. What do you want? KD and CJF on go routes and double moves? Lulz.

GD called a good game, and you ******** about him every week like he is the reason Iowa sucks is silly. It's mostly Vandy and the depleted OL, with some receiving drops mixed in.
Iowa never ran this offense last year. I'd like to see some slants and deep routes. Iowa doesn't do those often. Vandenberg is a drop back passer and isn't being used like one.

I wasn't sure for a while how I felt, but now I'm convinced that GD's offense is not going to get it done. They don't look downfield at all, and it does absolutely squat to keep a defense honest. Our offense is about like being 1st, 2nd or 3rd and Goal at all times - the opposing defense only has to defend 20 yards (or less) of the field. No worries about being beaten deep.

It's kind of like in hoops, defending a team that can't hit the 3. Just play zone and jam the paint.

images

I like this one.

Greg-Davis-3rd-and-5.jpg
Insert CJ for Greg Smith. You have a 6-7 TE who runs outs when he should be running a seam route. Iowa was money with that play in the past with shorter TE's, yet lets send him on 5 yard outs.

This offense is beyond terrible and it starts with the playbook.

So because 1 receiver wasn't past the line and Vandy threw it to him that's on GD's offense?

Get real. GD actually called a good game today. Those bootlegs and trick plays worked, and like always there were open receivers downfield all day long.

Weren't enough of these.

Yes, other receivers ran past the sticks (and were open, actually). But the PRIMARY READ WAS THE 1-YARD OUT. I'm sorry, but that's just all sorts of stupid. I have a hard time thinking of ANY situation where it makes sense for a 1-yard out to be the primary read. But on 4th and 3?!

This is 100% correct. GD did call a good game against Purdue.

Iowa has a serious lack of offensive talent right now. If people want to place all the blame on an offensive coordinator who is still trying to install a new offense... in bits and pieces by the way.... then their frustration is completely misguided.

Iowa's biggest offensive problems right now are an OL that cannot protect the QB due to injuries, and a QB that is easily the worst of the Ferentz era. It doesn't help that Iowa LEADS THE BIG TEN IN DROPPED PASSES!

As was mentioned..... there were receivers open down field all day long against Purdue. Vandy missed them over a dozen times.

Don't believe me? Watch the game again and see for yourself.

I told everyone he was a bad hire and I was right. The lack of downfield plays is comical and criminal.

Davis does not realize he doesn't have the talent he did at Texas. He won't conform to the type of players he has and needs to get run out in a rail.

Great sense of the first down marker on that last drive Davis. It's no wonder NOBODY wanted you other than Iowa when you were fired because your offense stinks.

You are right. iowa does not have the talent or speed Texas had/has. I think he has conformed to the talent he has, which is why we don't see some of the things, you think we need to see.

also this is a beat up, and injured, not to mentioned a young O-line.

I agree that knowing where the first down markers would at least help. Maybe this o lone can't hold anyone back long enough to get a receiver past the first down marker. The o-line might be the reason that Vandy has to rush his throws to avoid a sack.

The problems with offense start with the o-line. The defense is also very young. everyone knew coming into this season that the defense will be bad. that to win games the offense must score lots of points. They have not doe that this year. those the reason for the losing record.

I don't like it, but it is what is this year. Next year should be better.

Yes, other receivers ran past the sticks (and were open, actually). But the PRIMARY READ WAS THE 1-YARD OUT. I'm sorry, but that's just all sorts of stupid. I have a hard time thinking of ANY situation where it makes sense for a 1-yard out to be the primary read. But on 4th and 3?!

Agreed, but I have to question the football intelligence of Vandenberg. He seems to have none. Every time he changes a play at the line, it is the exact same play. Watched him do it on back to back plays and then he seems clueless as to why the defense knows it is coming. And on the 4th down play, he should know not to go to the FB short unless he is uncovered as a catch and a tackle won't get the first down.

This is what I think of when I watch the defense show something and vandy audible.
Dwight: I expect to do very well tonight. I have an acute ability to read people. Jim, for instance, has a huge tell. When he gets a good hand, he coughs.
Jim: [coughs] I will raise. [Dwight sighs and folds his cards] Thanks.
Jim: It's the weirdest thing. Every time I cough, he folds.

You are right. iowa does not have the talent or speed Texas had/has. I think he has conformed to the talent he has, which is why we don't see some of the things, you think we need to see.

also this is a beat up, and injured, not to mentioned a young O-line.

I agree that knowing where the first down markers would at least help. Maybe this o lone can't hold anyone back long enough to get a receiver past the first down marker. The o-line might be the reason that Vandy has to rush his throws to avoid a sack.

The problems with offense start with the o-line. The defense is also very young. everyone knew coming into this season that the defense will be bad. that to win games the offense must score lots of points. They have not doe that this year. those the reason for the losing record.

I don't like it, but it is what is this year. Next year should be better.

If the O-line can't maintain protection long enough for receivers to get past markers that are 3 yards away, then the whole team might as well pack it in and wait for next year.

Latest posts