Georges Niang Update

would be huge get if we could get this kid

Agree. Niang talked a lot about being loyal to the schools that believed in him early on and referenced talking to McCaffrey frequently about basketball and life in general. I don't recall the timeline, but I believe the McCaffrey relationship goes back a couple of years. This kid's stock is rising and getting him would make a statement. I read somewhere that Niang plans to decide this summer before school starts, but that could change based on increased interest.

Agree. Niang talked a lot about being loyal to the schools that believed in him early on and referenced talking to McCaffrey frequently about basketball and life in general. I don't recall the timeline, but I believe the McCaffrey relationship goes back a couple of years. This kid's stock is rising and getting him would make a statement. I read somewhere that Niang plans to decide this summer before school starts, but that could change based on increased interest.
On the front page of HR.com it said he isnt in a rush to decide.

According to his AAU coach Leo Papile, Tilton senior power forward Georges Niang of Methuen will attend Iowa State in the fall. The 6-foot-7, 235-pounder averaged 24 points and eight rebounds a game in leading Tilton to the NEPSAC Class AA title. Niang had received offers from BC, Providence, UMass, URI, George Mason, Miami, Maryland, Iowa, Texas A&M and Colorado before settling on the Cyclones.

Niang has been a vital part of the nationally-ranked BABC program, currently ranked No. 1 in the country in their respective age group. He is the second BABC player in recent memory to commit to Iowa State, the other being Will Blalock of East Boston High.
Damn, I was hoping we'd snatch him up.

"According to his AAU coach Leo Papile, Tilton senior power forward Georges Niang of Methuen will attend Iowa State in the fall. The 6-foot-7, 235-pounder averaged 24 points and eight rebounds a game in leading Tilton to the NEPSAC Class AA title. Niang had received offers from BC, Providence, UMass, URI, George Mason, Miami, Maryland, Iowa, Texas A&M and Colorado before settling on the Cyclones.

Niang has been a vital part of the nationally-ranked BABC program, currently ranked No. 1 in the country in their respective age group. He is the second BABC player in recent memory to commit to Iowa State, the other being Will Blalock of East Boston High."

MAybe I missed it, but where did this come from, and I though he was a 2012 guy?

I looked it up, it's from the Boston Herald so it is legit.

I wonder if the writer forgot he was a 2012 recruit, or maybe Georges is graduating early?

I don't think losing out on this kid is a big deal. It would be a bigger deal to get Woodbury. Iowa has Melsahn, Olaseni and Meyer for next season. Meyer can play the 4/5 and don't forget White, who it wouldn't surprise anyone to see some time at the 4 in his career. If Woodbury can be added to that Iowa, it would give Iowa two true Centers on its roster.
Look for Iowa to be able to add Woodbury/Gesell, hopefully and then filling out the class with a couple of top flight athletes. The PF position can be addressed in the 2013/14 classes with Basabe on his way to being Iowa's best player, it is going to be tough to add a recruit to compete with him, if the recruit wants to start.

I don't think losing out on this kid is a big deal. It would be a bigger deal to get Woodbury. Iowa has Melsahn, Olaseni and Meyer for next season. Meyer can play the 4/5 and don't forget White, who it wouldn't surprise anyone to see some time at the 4 in his career. If Woodbury can be added to that Iowa, it would give Iowa two true Centers on its roster.
Look for Iowa to be able to add Woodbury/Gesell, hopefully and then filling out the class with a couple of top flight athletes. The PF position can be addressed in the 2013/14 classes with Basabe on his way to being Iowa's best player, it is going to be tough to add a recruit to compete with him, if the recruit wants to start.

People are going to interpret this post as sour grapes, but I happen to agree with you.

People are going to interpret this post as sour grapes, but I happen to agree with you.

Definitely not sour grapes, far from it. Basabe is entreched as the starter and I don't see Iowa being able to add a major recruit at that position until his Sr year or when he leaves.

Definitely not sour grapes, far from it. Basabe is entreched as the starter and I don't see Iowa being able to add a major recruit at that position until his Sr year or when he leaves.

Dude, then how does any program recruit any good players? By your logic the worst teams in the nation should be getting the best players. Recruits aren't afraid of Basabe, and if they are then Fran shouldn't be recruiting them. I understand you are rationalizing but what sense does it make for Niang to go to ISU if they also get Gibson then?

If you notice, the consistently good programs are always recruiting players even though the position is considered a team strength.

Dude, then how does any program recruit any good players? By your logic the worst teams in the nation should be getting the best players. Recruits aren't afraid of Basabe, and if they are then Fran shouldn't be recruiting them. I understand you are rationalizing but what sense does it make for Niang to go to ISU if they also get Gibson then?

If you notice, the consistently good programs are always recruiting players even though the position is considered a team strength.

Okay, Iowa has Basabe and a few other guys that can play the 4 position: McCabe/Meyer and on occasions Olaseni and White. Playing time may be an issue there. Iowa is in a great position in the frontcourt with quality players if they can add Woodbury.

I understand your point, which is why my original point was about playing time. Here is the thing though, don't mistake Iowa for any kind of a power team...yet. Iowa will get better faster by upgrading the backcourt, which is what it looks like they have done since Fran has gotten there. There will come a time when Iowa will be able to load up on positions, but Iowa still doesn't have quality depth at every position yet. I just can't see Iowa going all out on any other big guy than Woodbury, I could be wrong, but it won't be the first time. The perrinial powers have the luxury of being able to recruit anyone, Iowa does not. It is going to take some time to clean up the decade long mess, but it is happening sooner than later.

What other bigs does ISU have that are worth diddly besides White right now? It would make sense for both Gibson and Niang to end up there, look at what they have to compete with.

Okay, Iowa has Basabe and a few other guys that can play the 4 position: McCabe/Meyer and on occasions Olaseni and White. Playing time may be an issue there. Iowa is in a great position in the frontcourt with quality players if they can add Woodbury.

I understand your point, which is why my original point was about playing time. Here is the thing though, don't mistake Iowa for any kind of a power team...yet. Iowa will get better faster by upgrading the backcourt, which is what it looks like they have done since Fran has gotten there. There will come a time when Iowa will be able to load up on positions, but Iowa still doesn't have quality depth at every position yet. I just can't see Iowa going all out on any other big guy than Woodbury, I could be wrong, but it won't be the first time. The perrinial powers have the luxury of being able to recruit anyone, Iowa does not. It is going to take some time to clean up the decade long mess, but it is happening sooner than later.

What other bigs does ISU have that are worth diddly besides White right now? It would make sense for both Gibson and Niang to end up there, look at what they have to compete with.

Do you honestly think this kid was worried about PT with the likes of Basabe and friends in the front court at Iowa?

According to Chris Williams who actually interviewed Niang instead of making wild speculations to ease the fact that Iowa lost out on a player to an in state team:

Just spoke with George. He is pumped up and in. Sounded very solid to ISU. Credited relationship with Hoiberg as key.

Offers Niang had: Iowa, ISU, Maryland, Miami, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Boston College, Colorado, Providence.

I couldn't be more encouraged by this pickup because Niang plays against great competition, ISU got to him and recognized his talent early (as did Iowa, but as I understand ISU contacted him first), ISU went against some big boys to get him, and because Hoiberg took the point on his recruiting and showed he could close on a recruit.

I think Fran knows how to evaluate talent with Basabe and Cartwright doing well, it's just a matter of getting those kids to campus at Iowa. I expect you guys to be fine. Basbabe might have been a negative from a playing time perspective but it isn't like Iowa's PF position is stacked. He could've contributed a good amount of minutes his first year at Iowa IMO and he will do the same at ISU.

Offers Niang had: Iowa, ISU, Maryland, Miami, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Boston College, Colorado, Providence.

I couldn't be more encouraged by this pickup because... ISU went against some big boys to get him

The two big boys in that list are going through coaching changes. But, how many scholarships does ISU have left for 2011, and 2012.

Latest posts