Georges Niang Update

Gibson looks legit down low. Niang's scouting report turned me off a little, ESPN's description makes him sound like Brennan Cougil part two.

Soft, poor body, little athleticism, good hands, good moves, skilled player, plays below the rim, will have trouble rebounding out of his area, good shooter all the way out to the perimeter... Sounds a lot like what Cougil could have been at Iowa, if Lickliter wasn't all about his big guys jacking up threes, and if Cougil wasn't all about watching Adult Swim all night instead of studying.

In all honesty, and I would have said this before he committed because I've been a big fan since he started getting more major offers, I think when he is reevaluated he will get a big boost because he came on so late and so fast. ISU was his first major offer followed by Iowa, then all those other schools followed. I would expect him to be a recruit ISU has to hold on to tight as time goes on and more big schools offer. I would expect more offers to role in after his AAU season and senior season of high school are finished.

Damn...it would have been nice to get him. At least we can focus on other recruits now. ISU definitely has some talent in the pipelines...I will be interested to see how all that turns out with an inexperienced coach.

For the most part, inexperience is out the window...he has a year under his belt.

Gibson looks legit down low. Niang's scouting report turned me off a little, ESPN's description makes him sound like Brennan Cougil part two.

Soft, poor body, little athleticism, good hands, good moves, skilled player, plays below the rim, will have trouble rebounding out of his area, good shooter all the way out to the perimeter... Sounds a lot like what Cougil could have been at Iowa, if Lickliter wasn't all about his big guys jacking up threes, and if Cougil wasn't all about watching Adult Swim all night instead of studying.

Fran offered Cougill part 2? Not really a ringing endorsement for his ability to spot talent.

In all honesty, and I would have said this before he committed because I've been a big fan since he started getting more major offers, I think when he is reevaluated he will get a big boost because he came on so late and so fast. ISU was his first major offer followed by Iowa, then all those other schools followed. I would expect him to be a recruit ISU has to hold on to tight as time goes on and more big schools offer. I would expect more offers to role in after his AAU season and senior season of high school are finished.

Could be, but I was a little skeptical of Niang after reading his ESPN evaluation. Just seems like a guy that could do more damage in a slow down system. Both schools seem like an odd fit.

Maybe he will blow up over the summer, but I doubt we see above average athletic ability appear as he is entering his senior year in high school. It would be different if he was a great athlete that was developing touch and skill, but this is the other way around. He is extremely skilled, but not an athlete.

I also said this before he committed to Iowa State.

Could be, but I was a little skeptical of Niang after reading his ESPN evaluation. Just seems like a guy that could do more damage in a slow down system. Both schools seem like an odd fit.

Maybe he will blow up over the summer, but I doubt we see above average athletic ability appear as he is entering his senior year in high school. It would be different if he was a great athlete that was developing touch and skill, but this is the other way around. He is extremely skilled, but not an athlete.

I also said this before he committed to Iowa State.

Fair enough. I'm not sure how he fits in but I'm all for a 4 that can play inside outside and shoot 3s as a junior in high school.

EDIT: Also, I would like to point out that I think ESPN sucks at recruiting evaluations. If I follow anything I follow Rivals, but I mostly like to look at specific evaluators from the areas of the prospects and offers they have.

Last edited:
It's not a huge deal but at the same time Iowa needs to start landing their prospects early on. Can't rely on spring recruits. Hopefully Woodbury and/or Gessell get that started by committing soon.

Iowa has Kyle Meyer and it souds as if Woodbury is Iowa's to lose, which never gives me a good feeling. Here is my point on the whole deal with not getting him. Basically, it is a testament to what Fran has shown he can do, if Iowa misses on a good kid, I feel that they can find another one. Until Iowa starts bringing in players that can't produce, then I will worry. Obviously, we only have one class to judge Fran on, but I think the 2011 class will be more productive overall than the 2010 class, with White/Hubbard having impacts like Cartwright/Basabe. Iowa has been Spring recruiting, save a couple seasons, for the last 14 years...it will be nice to see that Spring will be dedicated to the next year's class and not filling out the current year's class.

All indications are ISU got a good player and good for them, I know you are a down to earth Cyclone fan and I respect that. I am not trying to reduce the significance of a quality player going to ISU, it is my trust in Fran that doesn't make me worry. Niang is a piece to the puzzle that we both agree will make ISU one of the top two teams in the state of Iowa again and that is a good thing. Iowa/ISU will be battling for state supremecy, while Drake/UNI will be "hoping" to beat both teams moving forward.

Either is signing Kyle Meyer.

Lets wait to see the kid on campus, Meyer seems like a solid player, spectacular, probably not. If he plays hard and can contribute his entire career and get better, that is all one can ask. Cougill was never going to be a player that got better or play hard, his conditioning proved that.

Was this meant for a different site?

Niang committing to ISU is relevant discussion, as he had an offer from Iowa, but spare us the ISU propaganda.

Because there was a question of whether Niang didn't commit to Iowa because he was afraid of not getting playing time behind Basabe. That article pointed out that playing time was a factor but it wasn't a huge factor. It is relevant to the discussion.

Because there was a question of whether Niang didn't commit to Iowa because he was afraid of not getting playing time behind Basabe. That article pointed out that playing time was a factor but it wasn't a huge factor. It is relevant to the discussion.

Get real, anyone that has followed recruiting for more than a month could write one of these stories before the commitment actually happens. Commitment articles are one step above visit articles when it comes to usefulness.

Did you expect Niang to say; I wanted to go to Iowa, but Melsahn Basabe is pretty good, so I selected ISU.

Every kid says the same thing.

But, I want to make it clear, I didn't make the argument that Niang was afraid of competition, I just think it's not a bid deal for Iowa to miss on a PF when they have Mel and Aaron White- who I think will be a pretty good change of pace PF.

Get real, anyone that has followed recruiting for more than a month could write one of these stories before the commitment actually happens. Commitment articles are one step above visit articles when it comes to usefulness.

Did you expect Niang to say; I wanted to go to Iowa, but Melsahn Basabe is pretty good, so I selected ISU.

But, I want to make it clear, I didn't make the argument that Niang was afraid of competition, I just think it's not a bid deal for Iowa to miss on a PF when they have Mel and Aaron White- who I think will be a pretty good change of pace PF.

You do realize that Iowa State has a guy named Royce White that will be a soph next year as well. And there is a very good chance they sign Percy Gibson too.

That is your prerogative and I'm sure Iowa will be fine, but as far as anyone saying it was a huge factor in his decision I have barely heard him say anything about playing time. And there are plenty of recruits that state after they commit that playing time was a huge factor. That is in no way uncommon and there is nothing wrong with it either.

I just posted that in case anyone was under the impression that Iowa couldn't have gotten him because of playing time. I think that is fair and reasonable to post in this thread when that question comes up and is hardly "propaganda".

Can you not read? (meant for Cyclones 17 and not Rhoadhoused)

"But, I want to make it clear, I didn't make the argument that Niang was afraid of competition, I just think it's not a bid deal for Iowa to miss on a PF when they have Mel and Aaron White- who I think will be a pretty good change of pace PF."

I didn't say Niang went to ISU because he was afraid of Mel, I said from an Iowa fan's perspective, it isn't a big deal if Iowa misses on their second PF/C for the 2012 class.

But Rivals listed R. White as a 3, I would suspect Niang and White to be on the floor together a lot, Mel and Niang would be competing for the same minutes.

Pardon me for asking, but won't White play more Center than PF for ISU?

I doubt there is a whole lot of ISU playing with a real 5 in the near future. I'd say a lot of the time it will be 1-2-3-3-4,1-2-2-3-4, or 1-2-3-4-4. That is where the fact that Niang can play a little outside as well as inside is important. White is really a 4. I don't really know about Booker who I would assume is a 4. Railey is a true 5.

Latest posts