Gazette Tidbit on Melsahn Basabe

Great point about the competition. I also like the pipeline to the east coast opening up a bit with Basabe. No offense to the great hoops in South Dakota.

I loved Cody larson as an Iowa recruit and was sad to see him decomit. I know very little of Basabe, but will say with confidence that since McCaffery is our coach, I would rather have Basabe. If Lick was still our coach I would want Larson.

I think Larson could probably play in either system but Basabe sounds to me like he was built for Frans style of play.

I also like the pipeline opening up out East vs the South Dakota connection.

Now I'm not suggesting that i know one player will be any better or worse than the other when all is said and done, I just know thay they are both rated fairly close and one of them is deffinately suited for this style of play.

Last edited:
Did you just say Barnes and McDermott are close in their ability. McDermott will never touch the NBA and Barnes will be lottery. While I agree with some of the points you made you are not completely accurate.

How are they not close in ability? Both can dribble, Both can shoot, hell both can dunk? What is so different about their ability? The only thing that is different is Barnes got recruited by the BIG boys and that is why he is the #1 rated recruit. Everyone laid off McDermott because they thought he was going to join his dad at ISU. But when he chose UNI, that turned a lot of heads.

McDermott has out-performed Barnes several times this year! Their first game vs Waukegon, IL I think McDermott had 20+ and Barnes only had like 15. State Championship Week McDermott out performed Barnes 2 out of the 3 games. And don't give me the (he was doubled team.) If he is truely the #1 player in the nation, he still would of been able to get his points. Look at Sullinger for OSU, the kid would get tripled team, but he still would get his points.

All I am trying to say is Barnes is a Media darling, and because he was being looked at by the BIG SCHOOLS is why he is #1. Personally if you look at the season and even last season. McDermott has out-performed Barnes over-all. If McDermotts dad didn't coach at ISU, he would had a lot more attention drawn towards him. I think UNI got the best in-state recruit out there. This kid is a player and he will be a good college ball player.

How are they not close in ability? Both can dribble, Both can shoot, hell both can dunk? What is so different about their ability? The only thing that is different is Barnes got recruited by the BIG boys and that is why he is the #1 rated recruit. Everyone laid off McDermott because they thought he was going to join his dad at ISU. But when he chose UNI, that turned a lot of heads.

McDermott has out-performed Barnes several times this year! Their first game vs Waukegon, IL I think McDermott had 20+ and Barnes only had like 15. State Championship Week McDermott out performed Barnes 2 out of the 3 games. And don't give me the (he was doubled team.) If he is truely the #1 player in the nation, he still would of been able to get his points. Look at Sullinger for OSU, the kid would get tripled team, but he still would get his points.

All I am trying to say is Barnes is a Media darling, and because he was being looked at by the BIG SCHOOLS is why he is #1. Personally if you look at the season and even last season. McDermott has out-performed Barnes over-all. If McDermotts dad didn't coach at ISU, he would had a lot more attention drawn towards him. I think UNI got the best in-state recruit out there. This kid is a player and he will be a good college ball player.

barnes is also TWICE the player McDermott is also....McDermott didn't even come close to out performing Barnes over all...seriously why say something so silly? UNI didn't even come close to getting the best in-state recruit only a clod would think that. Barnes is so much better of an over all player it is not even funny. The only reason McDermott looked as good as he did is ONLY because he got to play with the BEST player in the nation who also was not in the least bit selfish of a player....sure he could have scored out of double teams if he wanted to and did several times, but why be selfish like that instead of finding the open man?

There is a reason barnes is #1 in the nation and it is not because he is a media darling...it is because he is that DAMN good.

Last edited:
Point of Reference....

Hoops Scoops Ratings

54. Cody Larson 6'8 2010 PF Sioux Falls (Roosevelt) SD
144. Zach McCabe 6'5 2010 2G Sioux City (Heelan) IA Iowa
175. Ben Brust 6'2 2010 2G Mundelein (H.S.) IL
213. Roy Marble 6'5 2010 2G Lathrup Village (Southfield-Lathrup) MI Iowa
321. Trenity Burdine 6'6 2010 WF Reading (H.S.) PA Siena
324. Melsahn Basabe 6'8 2010 PF Southborough (St. Mark's) MA Siena

Larson played against South Dakota competition, Basabe played against Boston/New York competition. I'm guessing Larson was head and shoulders above his counterparts and Basabe went a little more unnoticed. Who would you want?

Larson played against South Dakota competition, Basabe played against Boston/New York competition. I'm guessing Larson was head and shoulders above his counterparts and Basabe went a little more unnoticed. Who would you want?
Couldnt agree more, Basabe played at rucker park for crying out loud.

barnes is also TWICE the player McDermott is also....McDermott didn't even come close to out performing Barnes over all...seriously why say something so silly? UNI didn't even come close to getting the best in-state recruit only a clod would think that. Barnes is so much better of an over all player it is not even funny. The only reason McDermott looked as good as he did is ONLY because he got to play with the BEST player in the nation who also was not in the least bit selfish of a player....sure he could have scored out of double teams if he wanted to and did several times, but why be selfish like that instead of finding the open man?

There is a reason barnes is #1 in the nation and it is not because he is a media darling...it is because he is that DAMN good.

We will see who will have a better college career. I bet McDermott does, sorry I think Barnes is gonna be in trouble at UNC, when he isn't the focus of attention. Also ACC ball is a little tougher than playing in the CIML!

We will see who will have a better college career. I bet McDermott does, sorry I think Barnes is gonna be in trouble at UNC, when he isn't the focus of attention. Also ACC ball is a little tougher than playing in the CIML!

Barnes will be even better when he is not going to be the focus of the other team. He won't be facing anywhere near the double teams he did in HS...plus like you said he is facing better teams and better players...

Just like he was in the McDonald's AA game?

Barnes put up the same numbers or better in high level AAU as he did in high school. All these top high school kids have already played against each other, it's not like all scouts have to go against is comparing Barnes against other Iowa high school players. And not being the focus of attention is one of the great things about his game, he doesn't need the 25-30 shots a game, he picks his spots and scores within the flow of the game. If anything McDermott will struggle not having Barnes to take all the pressure off of him, although I do think Doug will be very solid for UNI.

Okay i am sorry that is an all-star game, There was no defense. hell i could of put up 20pts in that game! I don't think one player played defense, they just stood there and let them do whatever. wasn't the score like 110-107? Seriously.

Well we will have to see what happens, just mark my words, McDermott will lead UNI back to the NCAA. He is a lot better than what you guys think he is.

Okay i am sorry that is an all-star game, There was no defense. hell i could of put up 20pts in that game! I don't think one player played defense, they just stood there and let them do whatever. wasn't the score like 110-107? Seriously.

Well we will have to see what happens, just mark my words, McDermott will lead UNI back to the NCAA. He is a lot better than what you guys think he is.

Mark my words Barnes will lead North Carolina back to the NCAA, McDermott won't get UNI past where they went this season.

Just like Hayward wasn't supposed to lead Butler to the Final game. Those two are carbon copies of each other. Time will only tell.

Just like Hayward wasn't supposed to lead Butler to the Final game. Those two are carbon copies of each other. Time will only tell.

Not really, McDermott will never handle the ball in UNI's offense like Hayward does, I don't think he'll be able to get to the rim as well as Hayward does either.

What the hell are you talking about? Curry got to the rim plenty, are you really comparing his passing and ball handling to McDermott? Curry is an NBA point guard.
Did I say I was comparing them? No. You just explained it all, who was recruiting Curry out of high school? Anything can happen. I'm not saying McDermott will be better than Barnes or as good as Curry, but you cant doubt that he has skills, no matter who he played with or what defender guarded him. He has a very nice shot, and he has the ability to get to the hoop, maybe not as well as Hayward but he can develop it.

Latest posts