Hoops Scoops Ratings

54. Cody Larson 6'8 2010 PF Sioux Falls (Roosevelt) SD
144. Zach McCabe 6'5 2010 2G Sioux City (Heelan) IA Iowa
175. Ben Brust 6'2 2010 2G Mundelein (H.S.) IL
213. Roy Marble 6'5 2010 2G Lathrup Village (Southfield-Lathrup) MI Iowa
321. Trenity Burdine 6'6 2010 WF Reading (H.S.) PA Siena
324. Melsahn Basabe 6'8 2010 PF Southborough (St. Mark's) MA Siena
Rankings dont mean a thing.

I hate to pee in the Cheerios, but I will as I do not know much about Basabe.

If he was recruited to Siena, then does that not imply that he is mid-major type talent. I don't know what other schools recruited him prior to his commitment to Siena.

I am not backflipping over mid-major talent being recruited to Iowa right now.

Don't tell me that, tell that to the coaches of OSU, MSU, NC, Duke, Memphis, Kentucky, Tennessee.........................

BLOG.NORTHSTARBBALL.COM: Northstar Basketball's Class of 2010 Terrific 125- New Year's Edition
According to these rankings Basabe is 125 and Larson is 111.

According to Scout Larson is the 23 PF and Basabe is the 35 PF.

I think your rankings are a little extreme.

JTownHawk... If you look earlier in the thread there is a post (w/link) that says Basabe is being recruited by BC, Texas, and Indiana right now. He has an offer from Seton Hall as well.

Last edited:
BLOG.NORTHSTARBBALL.COM: Northstar Basketball's Class of 2010 Terrific 125- New Year's Edition

JTownHawk... If you look earlier in the thread there is a post (w/link) that says Basabe is being recruited by BC, Texas, and Indiana right now. He has an offer from Seton Hall as well.
Hes visiting Iowa on Wed. The reason he went to Siena were for two reasons, playing time and Fran/Andrew. Not sure on Seton Halls situation but they dont have Fran, i will be surprised and disappointed if he doesnt sign with Iowa.

HELL YES, they use scouting services.

Answer this question, would you give up Basabe to get Larson back?
I didnt mean use scouting services I meant those rankings you showed were from coaches themselves cause you said tell that to coaches. After reading about Basabe and discovering Larson's off-court issues I would rather have Basabe, he plays in NYC during the summer that alone is more competition than Larson has ever played. Basabe has played at Rucker Park, you have to be pretty darn good to play there.

They are not my rankings, found them on an Ohio board when looking at recruit Nick Kellogg.

I'll ask you the same question, would you give up Basabe to get Larson back?

They are not my rankings, found them on an Ohio board when looking at recruit Nick Kellogg.

I'll ask you the same question, would you give up Basabe to get Larson back?

I didn't mean that you created the rankings but the rankings you used I believe are misleading because other services have them ranked much more closely and so it is not a good "point of reference".

Even the rankings I used had Larson rated higher and I never made an argument that Basabe was better so I'm not sure why you would ask me that question. I would definitely prefer Larson but I think Basabe is a nice addition to this team.

Come on hawk fans you should know by now that rankings only mean who is recruiting you. There could be a 5 star PG out there and if signs with UNI, ISU, or even Drake, his stars will fall down to a 3. All these rankings Douchebags only focus on who is recruiting the certain player.

A prime example: Several of our football recruits who start out at 4 or 5 stars and drop. Not because the student athlete had a bad year, but because Florida pulled their offer or OSU is no longer looking at them.

I would not take rankings into account. Look at Ames HS. Barnes #1 player in the Country recruited by UNC, DUKE, OSU, and several other big time programs. Doug McDermott rated like 25 at his position, recruited by MVC schools. Barnes 28ppg, McDermott 24ppg. Both are about the same size and build. I know Barnes is a little bit more athletic, but if that doesn't show you something about the rankings and how biased they are!

Come on hawk fans you should know by now that rankings only mean who is recruiting you. There could be a 5 star PG out there and if signs with UNI, ISU, or even Drake, his stars will fall down to a 3. All these rankings Douchebags only focus on who is recruiting the certain player.

A prime example: Several of our football recruits who start out at 4 or 5 stars and drop. Not because the student athlete had a bad year, but because Florida pulled their offer or OSU is no longer looking at them.

I would not take rankings into account. Look at Ames HS. Barnes #1 player in the Country recruited by UNC, DUKE, OSU, and several other big time programs. Doug McDermott rated like 25 at his position, recruited by MVC schools. Barnes 28ppg, McDermott 24ppg. Both are about the same size and build. I know Barnes is a little bit more athletic, but if that doesn't show you something about the rankings and how biased they are!

Did you just say Barnes and McDermott are close in their ability. McDermott will never touch the NBA and Barnes will be lottery. While I agree with some of the points you made you are not completely accurate.

Did you just say Barnes and McDermott are close in their ability. McDermott will never touch the NBA and Barnes will be lottery. While I agree with some of the points you made you are not completely accurate.
McDermott had a better state title game than Barnes.:D

McDermott had a better state title game than Barnes.:D
McDermott is a very good player but also has the advantage of playing on a team with 3-4 other DI players. That means he probably is never double teamed and is probably has the 3rd best defender on him. That can make a good player look great!

McDermott is a very good player but also has the advantage of playing on a team with 3-4 other DI players. That means he probably is never double teamed and is probably has the 3rd best defender on him. That can make a good player look great!
And he has a nice shooting touch. I'm not trying to argue that McDermott is better, and I know Barnes will be a lottery pick but whats to say that McDermott tears it up at UNI similar to Gordon Heyward at Butler?

I think Larson will be a great offensive weapon, but I think Basabe has better potential at cleaning the boards and being pesky on defense.

Larson probably has better talent but I don't know if the margin is too large between them. In that case it will be up to the players attitude and commitment to development that will decide which player will be a better college athlete.

Who knows whether Basabe or Larson is better at this point. They haven't played against each other, probably have never been within 500 miles of one another. Sounds like they have different strenghts and weaknesses. I will say that Basabe has probably faced a lot better competition.

Personally Basabe seems to have played tougher competition...no doubt Cody is probably good...But I like Basabe...and LOVE the name haha BASABE!!!! WITH THE DUNK!

Latest posts