Gavin Thurman

I'm probably going to get burned for this, but the way this kid looks and sounds he reminds me of Kevin Durant. Granted KD was the number two recruit coming out of high school and Thurman isn't nearly as talented. Their games look similiar IMO.

Last edited:
Also, I cannot stand when people use the he can take smaller 3's down low and post them up. When is the last time this strategy was used in Iowa basketball?

When was the last time Iowa actually had players versatile enough to actually do this? Aaron White will be able to do this and it sounds like Thurman can play both forward spots and would be able to do this.
It is an asset to have players that are able to do this, especially if Basabe can extend his game as many think he will be able to this season.
There is a point in time where Iowa will be able to impose its will and what they are trying to do, instead of the opposite. Players like White and Thurman are key to making that happen.

I was wondering the same thing. If this is what we are supposed to do then I'll join you so there will be 2 of us stalking him dressed in hawkeye gear with signs.

But I don't know if I can talk my wife into sleeping with him though so we'll just have to use yours.

Perhaps if wifey is not up for it, a reach-around would suffice.

When was the last time Iowa actually had players versatile enough to actually do this? Aaron White will be able to do this and it sounds like Thurman can play both forward spots and would be able to do this.
It is an asset to have players that are able to do this, especially if Basabe can extend his game as many think he will be able to this season.
There is a point in time where Iowa will be able to impose its will and what they are trying to do, instead of the opposite. Players like White and Thurman are key to making that happen.

How many times do you think White will post his guy up this season? I think that is the most overrated term used in describing a taller player than normal at their position whether it is 1-3.

And seriously, why do you continue to say these things like they are sure bets to happen. Are you not aware that other programs also practice, recruit and try to get better?

How many times do you think White will post his guy up this season? I think that is the most overrated term used in describing a taller player than normal at their position whether it is 1-3.

And seriously, why do you continue to say these things like they are sure bets to happen. Are you not aware that other programs also practice, recruit and try to get better?

Nothing is a sure bet, but it is nice to be able to have that option and it won't surprise me at all if it happens. Did you watch Michigan last year? When UM started winning was when they started posting Morris on the block against smaller guards...then with his passing ability he hit a lot of wide open guys when they doubled him. Is Iowa Michigan, no, but I think Iowa's staff is intelligent enough to be able to exploit a mismatch, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they are.
Not sure what the last statement means, it makes no sense whatsoever. When I say Iowa has to impose its will on other teams, it pretty much puts into perspective the state of the program the last few years. Meaning, Iowa couldn't matchup or create mismatches, with versatile players like an Aaron White those situations will be created. A player like Thurman, who is verstile would create those situations. Players that are able to play multiple positions create those situations...kinda common sense. Iowa has had a roster full of players that are simply limited, but that is changing and has been since Fran took over.

Nothing is a sure bet, but it is nice to be able to have that option and it won't surprise me at all if it happens. Did you watch Michigan last year? When UM started winning was when they started posting Morris on the block against smaller guards...then with his passing ability he hit a lot of wide open guys when they doubled him. Is Iowa Michigan, no, but I think Iowa's staff is intelligent enough to be able to exploit a mismatch, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position they are.
Not sure what the last statement means, it makes no sense whatsoever. When I say Iowa has to impose its will on other teams, it pretty much puts into perspective the state of the program the last few years. Meaning, Iowa couldn't matchup or create mismatches, with versatile players like an Aaron White those situations will be created. A player like Thurman, who is verstile would create those situations. Players that are able to play multiple positions create those situations...kinda common sense. Iowa has had a roster full of players that are simply limited, but that is changing and has been since Fran took over.

It makes sense because you continue to say that Iowa wants it more as a statement of fact etc.

I will give you Michigan, Beilein is a master at exploiting things that are rarely exposed in today's game.

the guy I used to coach with who has a pretty good WSU contact says they are very high on Thurman -- they think he could be a potential all-conference kid in the MVC.

there are some grade issues, which is why some bigger schools haven't gone after him. he will probably qualify.

underrated upside. he'd be a good get.

I was wondering the same thing. If this is what we are supposed to do then I'll join you so there will be 2 of us stalking him dressed in hawkeye gear with signs.

But I don't know if I can talk my wife into sleeping with him though so we'll just have to use yours.

She's never turned anyone down in the past!

Perhaps the mystery visit that supposedly took place among the shadows last Friday has something to do with Thurman cancelling. I will go with...."my monkey's uncle heard from the janitor who found a crumpled letter in Fran's garbage can that Gessel talked Woodbury into joining him at Iowa and now Paige is homesick so he stopped by last Friday to beg for the chance to rejoin his buddies."

Just looking at the videos, Thurman looks lean and skilled with the ball in his hands, and like a young Jay Webb away from the ball. Interesting looking prospect, with potential to add versatility and offensive firepower. I hope he reschedules his visit.

wants to see the mid-majors first. borderline grades for Iowa, and WSU is strong after him -- he's getting some "star quality" vibe from there, as in "we think you could really do something in the MVC."

have no idea what Fran's staff or CSU is telling him in the process, but I get the vibe from my guy who knows Marshall that he's more of a priority for WSU.

We really could use a scoring slasher 3 to compliment the others we're bringing in and already have.Hope he gives us a chance, or we get on another with the same skill set.Iit would really round out our depth and go-to choices.We are putting together(on-paper) a nice looking defensive minded team, need to add alittle punch also.

Latest posts